• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Centrex (by Pioneer).. need some info

archie2

Addicted Member
Anyone familiar with the Pioneer MCL3 Centrex speakers? Cannot find anything about them on the web. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Didn't they go along with the bronze faced receivers some of which had built in eight track and casette?
 
Have no idea. Can't find anything on them. They sound pretty darn good for a small 2-way speaker. 6 inch woofers have cloth surrounds and large magnets, crossover consists of 3 coils and 2 caps, tweeter is domed, speakers are ported, fiber filled and are heavy for their size. Will try to send pics.
 
"Like these?"

Your avitar kept me from getting a good look....lol. No, those arn't the ones. The backs are removable on mine. The grills must be unscrewed fron the inside. And the ones in your pics are a different design than the Centrex.
 
Centex (by Pioneer).. need some info

Anyone ever hear of these before or know anything about them?

I still have the original enclosures and 8" woofs from a pair of 2 ways. The only identification I see on them is a black plastic "badge" that is press fitted into the baffles. It simply says "Centex by PIONEER". The original tweets were 3" cone type and were fried out when I got them. The only label on the rear panel of cabs specified 8 ohm system, 5 watts rms. I'm assuming 10 watts rms total for each 2 way system. The tweets are marked as 5 watts and so are the woofs. Woofs have the following markings on the back plates of the magnet assemblies.

20-123
8 ohm 5 w
TAIWAN
83 7827

Tweets have no markings that I can see.
Any thoughts or suggestions on these?
 
Oh... opps.... I just took another look and it turns out that I made a mistake. They are Centrex (with an "r"). I'll take a better look at them to see if there is anything else I missed.

Is there anywhere online where I could look up some info on them? I would post a pic of the ones I have, but one is missing the woof cone.
 
I had a pair of Centrex speakers that were a 3-way with a 10" woofer, and a cone mid and tweeter.

The enclosures were 3/4 inch MDF, covered in vinyl. Rather heavy cabinets, really. The drivers were as cheap as it gets, same with the xovers.

I recapped the xovers, and stuffed a little polyfil in them.

They didn't sound that bad for a 5 dollar yard sale item. Sold them to a co-worker for 10 bucks. Though his JBL L-26's sound way better, he likes to use all four sometimes....
 
I'd venture to say yours were NOT pre-packed with a system. You usually don't see decent crossover networks and proper bracing like that with "system" speakers.
 
I'd venture to say yours were NOT pre-packed with a system. You usually don't see decent crossover networks and proper bracing like that with "system" speakers.

I agree. Thy are heavy little buggers for their size. I've listened to them again since my original post and they don't sound all that bad, not good, but not all that bad.
 
Back
Top Bottom