• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What's on your bench?

Marantz 3300 preamp is on the bench for a recap. On deck is a Marantz 4400 for a power supply resistor/transistor upgrade. In the dugout is a Sansui AU-11000a that needs a shot of deoxit on the treble knob.
 
A Sansui 661 now graces the 'bench' (kitchen counter...why is it that no matter where I live, I end up working in the kitchen?) with a tuner issue, see separate thread. The 6060 is all cleaned up and working wonderfully!
 
My ESM-3's for new surrounds. Still debating whether or not to shim...Only my second surround job. Shimmed the 1st and it went well. Maybe I'll just stick with what's worked. Then its onto a Sherwood S-7800 that has a hum. I'd like to figure it out, cuz I really like the tuner and look (plus it was made the year I was born...). Then it's my "thin the herd" units--a Sansui 5050 and 2000a. The 5050 has low distorted output and the 2000a goes into protection mode. One or maybe both must go. I'm an amateur at this, so if I could figure out an easy fix for them I'll do it. If not I may offer them up to you all or part them out. I know they're not the most desirable units but I'd like to learn how to bring them back to health....
 
At home a McIntosh Mr73 Tuner. Dead AM section. At work a McIntosh MR78, it is tuner day. The 78 has a broken dial glass. A shame indeed they are back ordered. I am looking for a dial glass if anyone has one.
 
Just a note about the Pioneer repair. The most important thing you can do for that repair is add better heatsinks and use silver solder on the regulator transistors when re-installing them.

DH

1. Just finished a KLH 17 recap--treble is amazing, bass is lacking. Need to re-dope the surrounds this weekend. If anyone has any other suggestions, lemme know.

2. 3 Dynaco A-25 speakers are in the process of being refurbished and the two best mirrored cabinets are being chosen for the solen caps that just arrived from PE.

a251.jpg


Here's the thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145409&highlight=a25
My housemates got pissed about the wood dust floating around the house so I'm waiting until this weekend to do the work outside.

3. Pioneer SA-9100 PS recap and protection relay repair is on hold.

91003.jpg


I'm still gathering cap info, measuring cap sizes and trying to source locally, as many parts as possible.

4. Sony PS-230 turntable. Mechanics are sticky. I guess the grease has solidified, idler wheel and spring are tired. Was working great but now it's running slowwww
 
Just a note about the Pioneer repair. The most important thing you can do for that repair is add better heatsinks and use silver solder on the regulator transistors when re-installing them.

DH

Thank you! Based on the cooked condition of that board and its components, do you think I need to replace every damn part? I mean certainly the caps.. but what about the resistors? I've never attempted a SS repair job on this scale before..
 
Right at this moment, it's the newly-acquired Marantz 2050 tuner, just for the first once-over (posted about last night on Marantz formum).

The poor thing has had a transplant of non-marantz transformer and non-original AM ferrite antenna. They didn't do the worst job of it I've seen, but cut a few corners that I wouldn't have. Stubs of snipped-off transformer wires left on the voltage selector, for example. I'd never do that: I'd remove all the old solder, get a clean wire-end and resolder freshly. This hack just snipped off the old wire, then soldered the new end on top of the old stuff (other wires and existing solder). :nono: AM doesn't work at all; FM works fine, but the sound, while not bad, isn't quite up to the sound quality I expect from a Marantz tuner.

This will be leaving my bench temporarily until I get the service manual, pull original AM antenna and find transformer from a 'donor unit", and acquire some more gear (e.g., FM signal generator) for proper tuner alignment. [I've decided to learn how to do this, myself. It's the next logical step in my electronics education.]

Next up will be the newest 300dc and the 3250B preamp for a going-over, OR one of my "extra" dual TTs that haven't been done yet. None of these are imperative (they are all duplicates or redundant at present, although the 300dc will eventually get used for one channel in a quad/surround set-up) but they need to be done.
 
I have six ICOM portable two way radios from the school my wife works at.

Turns out all the batteries are shot. The battery is also the back of the radio, so not just any battery will work. So far found them for $32 each. The school has a tight budget, thanks Arnold! (they asked me to fix them as a favor) so I don't think they will go for it. I may "donate" two batteries.

I connected a 7.2 volt supply to the radios and they work. Turns out the batteries are only good for about 500 charges or one year or so.
The stock chargers wont charge them over 5 volts, though the charger puts out 12 volts. I opened a battery and there was corrosion inside from possible leakage.

Rob
 
I'm changing the tone of this thread a bit from it's original state.

What is on your bench right now, i.e. what are you working on?

Sansui 6060 getting some tuner attention, on mine.

Allot of things. A denon surround sound receiver, a tube amp,a tube preamp, a sansui 8, and another tube amp. And a linear amplifier for HF.

And I'm making my next generation of dry ice cannon in the garage.
 
Right now, Pioneer SX-1010. Relamping with LED's, dimmer switch repair, recapping, deoxidizing controls, maybe replace some regulator transistors. Plan my next project, Harman Kardon 730.
 
Kenwood KA-6000

Kenwood KA-6000 update to KA-6000i status.

One of the steps in the “i” update is to remove C138 and C238 and replace them with wires. These capacitors are unnecessary and reduce the low frequency bandwidth excessively.

Before with C138 and C238:
C138C238014.jpg

After with C138 and C238 replaced with wires:
C138C238gone.jpg

keywords: Kenwood6000, Kenwood6000i, KA-6000i
 
Last edited:
Prototype output relay (working) for Phase Linear 400 and a couple 400's to repair so I can pay for the prototype.
 
on the bench

Pioneer SX-636 needing new differential pairs, and a NAD
3240 amp. with a noisy left channel.Playing with vintage units is a maintenance excercise-which is part of the fun.
 
on the bench

3 Heathkit A-9s one is in good shape and two of unknown ailments. One needs a tranny transplant for sure.
 
I'm in a Onkyo TX-4500MkII which has obvious burned resistors caused by ????
__________________:scratch2:

A short may be ?????
 
Back
Top Bottom