How can I resist?

joelongwood

No more room at the inn
I just got a call from a guy on Craigslist that I bought some speakers from a few weeks ago, and he said he has more for me.
What I got a few weeks ago:
One pair of AR3.....pretty beat cabs, no grills, but otherwise fine, except for the corroded pots which I jumpered temporarily until I can attempt to clean them.
Three AR4x's.....one woofer torn, but tweeters and cabs are OK
One pair AR2ax (pre-1970) w/ cloth woofer. Corroded pots, but otherwise very nice, including cabs. No grills.
One pair AR2ax (post 1970). Woofers need re-foam, otherwise in excellent shape with nice cabs and grill cloth. Missing one badge.
One pair AR2a......good shape, except one is missing it's grill cloth.
One pair Wharfedale w40.....very good shape all around.
One pair Marantz HD-550....cabs in nice shape, but missing grills and woofers need refoaming.
One Altec Model One......nice shape, but woofer needs refoaming.
And what I really wanted (for over 30 years now!) an Acoustic Research Model R Receiver with walnut case.......in absolutely stunning condition. And, coupled with my AR3a's, sounds wonderful.
For all of this I paid $500, which is no small change, but I've seen the AR Receiver go for that alone on eBay, and as I said, "I wanted it for over 30 years!"
Anyway, he called me today and said he has the following (all supposedly in very good to mint condition):
One pair AR 2ax which he says are perfect (cabs, grills, drivers) except the woofers need refoaming.
One pair AR4x (cloth woofers, good cabs and grilles)
One pair KLH Six in "excellent shape" all around.
One pair Dynaco A-25 with great cabs and excellent grills (including both badges).
All speakers are fully functional......or so he says.
Price? He wants $100 for all.
So, I ask you......even though I've basically run out of room in my recently constructed basement listening room/ HT (42 pairs of speakers), how can I resist driving 30 minutes to get this stuff?:scratch2:

It's useless to resist. Besides, there's probably plenty of room in your kitchen or master bath.

Resistance is futile.

BTW, how do you like the AR2ax's? Should I chase some for $45?

By telling yourself over and over that everything but the AR "R" Receiver is very plentiful, and you can always find them.

You're the only other person I know (other than moi) that has a mint Model "R".

If I lived near that guy, I'd be broke. I'd have a lot of nice speakers, but I'd be broke.

Redboy said:
Resistance is futile.

BTW, how do you like the AR2ax's? Should I chase some for $45?
Absolutely! Great speaker, "little brother" to the AR-3a, excellent bass extension, High WAF... and $45 is a very good price for even fair condition.

ozmoid said:
If I lived near that guy, I'd be broke. I'd have a lot of nice speakers, but I'd be broke.

Absolutely! Great speaker, "little brother" to the AR-3a, excellent bass extension, High WAF... and $45 is a very good price for even fair condition.
Second the 2ax recommendation, although I've only heard the older version recently. I haven't yet refoamed the newer 2ax's, so I can't compare. I like the entire 2 series, from the original AR2 through the 2ax.

Toasted Almond said:
By telling yourself over and over that everything but the AR "R" Receiver is very plentiful, and you can always find them.

You're the only other person I know (other than moi) that has a mint Model "R".
I hear you, but $100 is a dinner out with the wife. As for the Receiver, my only complaint is that, being an early serial number, it doesn't have a dial light. But I think I can live with that. I'm planning on bringing it in to a local shop that works on vintage gear and have the tech look it over, clean it out, and bring it back to the original specs. He's done that for me with a Harmon Kardon 730......the $150 he charged was well worth it.
Man, I just LOVE the classy, understated elegance of the Model R.....always have since I first saw it. But at the time, the MSRP of $420 was way out of my league. :D

The true little brother to the 3a was the AR-5, priced between the 2 series and the 3a. Probably the most overlooked and undercredited GREAT speaker of all time.

joelongwood said:
Second the 2ax recommendation, although I've only heard the older version recently. I haven't yet refoamed the newer 2ax's, so I can't compare. I like the entire 2 series, from the original AR2 through the 2ax.
I have two pair of 2ax, both "Franken-speakers" :D .

My favorite pair have the new woofer but the old tweeter and the newer crossover. The other pair are sporting non-stock tweeters.

I had an older pair of the woofers (with the felt "doughnut"), but they have a larger mounting diameter than the new woofer. Easy to go from old-to-new, new-to-old not so easy.

Toasted Almond said:
The true little brother to the 3a was the AR-5, priced between the 2 series and the 3a. Probably the most overlooked and undercredited GREAT speaker of all time.
Again I agree with you, Toasted. That's why I have 2 pair, the first pair I bought in 1969 and the other (with European style cabinets and dark brown tweed grill cloth) I picked up a few months ago. :D

If it helps you make a decision, I'd like a pair of Dynaco A-25's in excellent condition.

How about a picture of the Model R.

Terry

TWantiques said:
If it helps you make a decision, I'd like a pair of Dynaco A-25's in excellent condition.

How about a picture of the Model R.

Terry
Unfortunately, I have always wanted the Dynacos, so I'll keep 'em.......I keep everything.
As for the pics, I'll try to take pics of some stuff this weekend.......if I can figure out how to use the new camera. :scratch2:

archie2 said:
Got a wife? Tell her, she'll resist for you.
Yep......been happily married for 35 years. She's been absolutely great with all this insanity..........I'm very lucky. :D

Back
Top Bottom