• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New homes for my Fostex FE168EZ Sigmas...in progress

I've been playing around with TQWTs and horns too using 4" RS1210dc drivers (FE103 clones). Liked what I was hearing enough that I knocked together a couple of Rutter TQWTs based on the 8" RS 1286 to see what bigger drivers would do for LF response. Built one in a 53 Hz box and one in a 40 Hz box. I'm still working on tuning but I am some impressed! LF response even shakes things off the shelves in my shop and the single driver smoothness makes the cheap drivers sound great. Only problem is the size, about 10" x 16" x 50".
I'd like to find a smaller box with comparable LF output in which to put some quality drivers.
 
baffle step correction It's basically a contour circuit, applied to the high-level signal (which, a priori seems to me like not such a great idea).

http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm

I might have thought the same before I built a pair of Metronomes w/ Fostex FE108 drivers. BSC made them into great speakers, (Yes, am a total shill for MJ King and his quarter-wave.com site.)

Everything in the signal path acts as some sort of filter. :yes:

Cheers, Jim
 
Paul Joppa of Bottlehead also suggested line-level BSC.

The (other) problem I have with high-level BSC is that it just wastes efficiency. The 40-1354's, for example, don't really have much to spare when fleapowered.

Admittedly, something like FE-207E's are significantly more efficient, but it still seems like an awfully brute force way to implement a tone control to me.
 
Updates:

bib1rj6.jpg


bib2tm1.jpg


bib3li8.jpg


Today's goal is to break out the flush trim bit and clean the edges up, and cut the holes and suprabaffle pieces out of 3/4" red oak. Side trim is going to be 1x2" pine dado'ed to hide all the plywood nasties.
 
Jim, if you decide that you need BSC and don't want to lose efficiency, you can always add it between the preamp and amp based on actual measurements rather than the typical mathematical guess that is typically used.
 
Jim, if you decide that you need BSC and don't want to lose efficiency, you can always add it between the preamp and amp based on actual measurements rather than the typical mathematical guess that is typically used.

Hey Dave, I'll bet we could make some money if we started doing some BSC circuits inside RCA plugs, like the inline attenuators. Make some standard values based on typical amp input impedance for a 6", 8", 10" baffle. Gold plate them and sell 'em for a zillion bucks. Whatcha think? On second thought, maybe I shouldn't go public with this...how do you delete a post?

Jim, are you using the MDF as part of the enclosure or just as a clamping surface? Which reminds me, I need more clamps. I can only do 1 speaker at a time.

Ray
 
Ray,

I have actually considered doing just that, along with other simple contours to correct well known "issues" with popular speakers.
 
Back
Top Bottom