• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Charge Coupled JBL 4345 crossovers

gonzomeep

Super Member
Here are a few pictures of my best friend's latest build. He has put together a pair of JBL 4345 Studio Monitors. He went through hell trying to outsource these and get everything together. He finally decided to do his own. This pair is the 3rd pair, custom designed for a client. As you can see in one of the pictures,he has been comparing the JBL 4345's against the highly regarded Westlake BBSM-15 Studio Monitiors. He has decided to build some stock passive networks that use bypass capacitors and test that config. against the CC'ed networks. He also reconed all of the JBL drivers himself, and installed OEM/New diaphragms in the compression drivers.
The BBSM-15's and 4345's are used in Biamp config., with super rare EL34 based QuickSilver Monoblocs on the top and a Perreux SS on the bottom.
I thought you all would love to see such a rare system. I know that Dave has a passion for audio just like we do. He has also tried T.A.D 2001 Beryllium drivers in place of the JBL's, and also managed to obtain a pair of genuine JBL 435Be. Beryllium drivers too. The 435Be. is a 1.5" exit driver, so he is still working on building a suitable horn for the install.
My friend has been such an inspiration to me over the years, and has helped me build my own full active 4 way JBL system. Oh, I almost forgot, these latest crossovers are quickly converted to be installed inside the speaker itself, by means of an ingenious "quick-change" arrangement. I hope you enjoy the pictures.
 

Attachments

  • ak dave b 3.jpg
    ak dave b 3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 304
  • ak dave b 2.jpg
    ak dave b 2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 343
  • ak dave b 1.jpg
    ak dave b 1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 293
Register to hide this ad
He has decided to build some stock passive networks that use bypass capacitors and test that config.

He needs the tapped inductors which JBL no longer has to do the stock networks. What schematic did he use?? The equivalent from the Lansing Site?? That's what I have in my 4344's sounds quite good.

Rob:)
 
Hey Steve- that crossover shows some "real talent"...am I correct in my guess?

je

Edit- just saw the Tee Shirt thread, my guess was correct.
 
More pics:

Hi John! The stasis is gone for now. There will always be more, until there's not, then there will still be more... especially pictures...
They're all mirror (imaged like 4345's,) modular cc's on a benalex board and the 3rd pair are in a single chassis as a custom job for a fellow lunatic. Each leg can be isolated to easily swap out different components for different drivers. I spent a lot of time researching and engineering these. The final result was worth it. The most important thing I learned is that there are MANY more ways than one. I tried 3 different type inductors for the midbass. Each one had an astonishingly different character. I am sourcing replacement inductors to build the stock networks with Clarity Caps. According to Everett at JBL Pro, they are NOT autoformers at all, as commonly referred to. They are actually a center tapped, iron core inductor. More on that later...
And a special thanks to the MANY people who helped me with research, info and support. I could not have done it with all your help! www.katzassaudio.com
 

Attachments

  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 189
  • myx1-1.JPG
    myx1-1.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 169
  • myxf1.JPG
    myxf1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 12f.JPG
    12f.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 176
  • parts1.JPG
    parts1.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
More pics:

Hi John! The stasis is gone for now. There will always be more, until there's not, then there will still be more... especially pictures...
They're all mirror (imaged like 4345's,) modular cc's on a benalex board and the 3rd pair are in a single chassis as a custom job for a fellow lunatic. Each leg can be isolated to easily swap out different components for different drivers. I spent a lot of time researching and engineering these. The final result was worth it. The most important thing I learned is that there are MANY more ways than one. I tried 3 different type inductors for the midbass. Each one had an astonishingly different character. I am sourcing replacement inductors to build the stock networks with Clarity Caps. According to Everett at JBL Pro, they are NOT autoformers at all, as commonly referred to. They are actually a center tapped, iron core inductor. More on that later...
And a special thanks to the MANY people who helped me with research, info and support. I could not have done it with all your help! www.katzassaudio.com


This post was very helpful.... just finished my pair of cc'd crossovers for my Custom 4346's
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3374.jpg
    IMG_3374.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom