How does the Kenwood KA-7100 compare to a Yamaha CA-1010?

Tromatic

I love the Yamaha. How does the 7100 compare? I guess I have to get the darn thing and here for myself. I have a KT-8300 tuner, maybe it needs a Kenwood amp.

Biased...I've spent many sober and non-sober hours listening to a CA-1010 and NS-1000M's.Can't ever recall listening to any Kennies...anytime or anywhere..

The 7100 is a great unit, nice sound, elegant looks. Drawbacks are- well, only one really comes to mind. The unit doesn't have pre-out/main-in jacks.

This unit is probably more comparable to the Yammia 810.

The 1010 has that nice class-A operation, and is a great amp as well. Maybe more in the league of a Kenwood 9100.

The 9100 does have those "unobtanium" power packs, however, and that's an issue, though I've been told and have also read there are work-arounds for this.

The 7100 I had was a very nice amp, and everything sounded good through it. I'd say in my opinion a bit darker than the Yammie 810 I had. The 810 could be harsh with some recordings and some speaker matchings, but when paired right, the detail and resolution of the Yammie was sublime, sharper than the Kenny.

You are, as has been pointed out, comparing two nice amps! If you haven't seen the write up at TheVintageKnob, here is a link to their Yammie page:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/YAMAHA-main.html

I would only add to your confusion by pointing out the KA-8100, another sweetheart Kenwood. Then there is the ever wonderful Yamaha CA-1000!
Well, that is the reason we are all having so much fun: too many excellent choices! These amps all sound great. One minor note: if you are looking for headroom, Terry DeWick rebuilt the driver boards on my 1010 a few years ago. Rated at 90W per channel, it was reaching (from memory) 120 per ch on Terry's bench! I don't remember exactly, but I think that was at .1% distortion 20Hz to 20k. Yamaha's 8 Ohm spec rating was 90 watts per ch at something like .02%!

Last edited:
I love those Kenwood integrateds, as far as I'm concerned, they blow similar sized Yammies right out of the water. Better built and easier to work on, too.

I recently bought a real clean 7100 off of the 'bay. I had high hopes for it due to the great looks and high praise this particular lineup of Kenwood integrated amps get.

Let's just say it is now waiting to go back on the 'bay.

I was not happy with bottom end from the 7100. The bass tone control did nothing to improve it. The particular bass frequency the bass tone control emphasized was all wrong. Turning it up just made it sound worse.

I have plenty of other receivers to compare it to, so I know it's nothing in my system. I bought a Adcom GTP500/GFA-535 setup and it is much, much, much better.

My son was using a Kenwood KA-3500 unit and we switched it out with a Sony STR-V4. The Sony was a huge improvement.

I tried to give these Kenny's a chance, but to my ear, they just did not work.

:thumbsdn:

The CA-1010 is a wonderful integrated and (I suspect) really hard to beat for anything close to the money they go for. I've had mine for years and apart from needing the switches seriously cleaned on a regular basis it has always sounded wonderful; clean, detailed and revealing without any harshness. The flexibility of the controls is another marvelous aspect, not to be ignored and one of the reasons I picked up a C-4 preamp (similar layout) for my SS separates system. I don't know how anyone could knock the build quality, at least if mine is any example. My 2¢ worth.

Ok, I'll put the KA-7300 on the list too. This one has the pre-out/main-in on it.

The CA-1010 is a much heavier built amp. As much as I like the Kennies, my choice would be the CA-1010.

Well, I can answer my question now. The 7100 is very nice. The Yamaha is more neutral. The Kenwood, to my surprise, is very warm and may even be a tad laid-back in the treble. A keeper.

ka7100

Sexy!

ca1010.jpg

for all the raves about the yamaha, which I'm sure are well founded, I just can't get past those ugly square knobs. whoever decided to use them should be shot. No offense to yamaha lovers. Just my opinion. Sweet looking amp except for those knobs.

Tromatic, your impression is right in line with my own. The CA-1010 is a straight wire with gain, perhaps the most technically perfect amplifier I have ever owned. The Kenwood, which I'm also using right now, is just a darn good amp no matter how you look at it.

The utter perfection and neutrality of the Yamaha can really work for it, but sometimes you need a little character to really let your music come to life.

Well, I can answer my question now. The 7100 is very nice. The Yamaha is more neutral. The Kenwood, to my surprise, is very warm and may even be a tad laid-back in the treble. A keeper.

ka7100

Sexy!

ca1010.jpg

Tromatic, your impression is right in line with my own. The CA-1010 is a straight wire with gain, perhaps the most technically perfect amplifier I have ever owned. The Kenwood, which I'm also using right now, is just a darn good amp no matter how you look at it.

The utter perfection and neutrality of the Yamaha can really work for it, but sometimes you need a little character to really let your music come to life.

Owning both amps (well, a 7100 and an 810), I can say you fellas are spot-on.

Tromatic, I agree, with the Kenny possibly even a bit dark. No speakers can sound bad on the Kenny.

The Yamaha is a real work of art, and the sound is clean, sharp and detailed. Best paired with my Polks, but other speakers could sound a bit harsh on it.

To own both, is to own the best of both worlds. I enriched my collection with a Marantz 1060 and a Sansui 317 as well, and was in hog heaven until I landed very demanding speakers that required lots more power.

Back
Top Bottom