Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

AA,

If you remind me this week, I have the manual at the office and would be happy to scan it. I have one also although I have never even turned it on.

Have heard that this is the set-up that JFK carried with him in his travels although I cannot verify if this is 100% true.

Barry

The amps in the console in reply #9 are Fisher 100's- with no cages and no front plates.

The X-19 is NOT a single ended amp- they use 6HU8's which are dual pentodes- push pull in a single bottle.

If any one is interested I have an empty Fisher Coronet console in early american style- pickup in NYC- free to a good home. Still has the RC-88 in it but that is all. It is in very clean cosmetic condition. I do not have the space in the house for it. Can't remember the model # but it is the model that has the SA-16 and the 100-T. It is in the 1959-1960 console catalog. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

To the fellow who was worried about the "mass" of his tonearm damaging his LP's- I would not be to worried about that- the resurgence of mono has people running carts that track at 6-8 grams- and if "High Mass" was such a problem we would have no records from the 50's to listen to. I would be more worried about a mis-tracking 1.5 gram cart damaging your records than a properly aligned 6 gram cart.

Thanks BarrynSue....

Tube layout for the Allegro....

attachment.php

Attachments

• A-190 tube layout.JPG
    A-190 tube layout.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 945
Allegro in the house....

Here are the pix....(posting here for documentation's sake)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking forward to getting it restored. One question though...

Anyone have any idea how to get into the speaker enclosures?

Executive VI Model 880

I saw the Fisher listing on CL earlier this week. I jumped on it. The gentleman said he though he'd have to pay someone to haul it away. His mother was moving to a assisted living facility nearby and his dad had passed away. He said his dad paid $1500 or more back in the early 60s and bought it new. Only a few smudges and tiny nicks. Amp and Tuner work great. Tubes actually look almost unused. TT and Reel need some TLC. I love finding audio gems like this! I just picked it up and took pics immediately. I have not taken any time to clean it but will asap. Those faceplates should polish up nicely. Any suggestions on what cleaning product to use on the Fisher faceplates?

Attachments

• DSC01698.jpg
    DSC01698.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC01699.jpg
    DSC01699.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC01694.jpg
    DSC01694.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 370
Yowsa!

That's a beauty! I usually use a little diluted Simple Green and test it carefully before going over the whole piece.....:thmbsp:

Stupendous find! That is one of Fisher's best. And you will note here that it is one of the few remaining gaps in my data base as far as console chassis numbers go. When you get around to taking a look inside please note or photograph the chassis IDs for me. Here is what I know about your console:

61ExecutiveVIModernCatalogX.jpg

61ExecutiveVICatalogA.jpg

61ExecutiveVICatalogB.jpg

Edit: Oops. Original IMG links were to the 60 Executive IV - changed them to the correct 61 Executive VI.

Those consoles were pricey! $2500 in 1958 and the minimum wage in 1958 was $1 average new car $2200 and a new house $30k average wage $4.6k. So those Fishers were like $25k today! Wow hard to imagine many on the list to buy?

My Fisher Executive

Picked it up today, literally... uggghhh. It's in fantastic condition. No reel to reel, but it's all very clean.
Is this a '63 or '64?
IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

I thought I would add this to the mix.

ANOTHER EXECUTIVE! The Northeast seems to be experiencing an unprecedented outbreak of high-end Fisher consoles recently. That is an amazing console, congratulations! I have a special fondness for the receiver based Fisher consoles. I don't think there are any differences between the '63 and '64 Executives. Does it have a VIII or a IX on it anywhere? If so, the VIII is the '63, the IX: '64. If it has the model number on the tube layout diagram the '63 in the 950, the '64 the 960. Other than that you might be able to date it by the 800's serial number if someone else has an 800 of known vintage with a reasonably close number.

Edit: There are two differences that I found when comparing the literature: the '64 Executive IX has a four-position speaker switch whereas the '63 VIII has only three positions...also, the IX has 17 diodes whereas the VIII only has 12 (which somehow caused the advertised watts to increase by 10).

ANOTHER EXECUTIVE! The Northeast seems to be experiencing an unprecedented outbreak of high-end Fisher consoles recently. That is an amazing console, congratulations! I have a special fondness for the receiver based Fisher consoles. I don't think there are any differences between the '63 and '64 Executives. Does it have a VIII or a IX on it anywhere? If so, the VIII is the '63, the IX: '64. If it has the model number on the tube layout diagram the '63 in the 950, the '64 the 960. Other than that you might be able to date it by the 800's serial number if someone else has an 800 of known vintage with a reasonably close number.

I have another thread going and took a look at the back and it's a 960 which would make it a 1964. A very good year. :D

this is a great thread. i have had a few fisher consoles )regrettably some had to be broken down) but the nicest one is still whole. it is a futura with a little plaque in back that says "the fisher anniversary series" it has a garrard type a turntable, 660-a amp chassis with 4 7591's, a 490T tuner/control chassis, and apperars to be made of fruitwood. is that enough info to date it? it sounds terrific and used to have a sheet on the back with the layouts and some other info but dumbass me neglected to protect it on the trip home and it ripped off on the freeway in the back of the truck. on another console note, i also have one made by an outfit called SABA. it is modern styled and spectacularly well made. model stereo 3000 i think, it has a reel to reel made by saba in it and also features an auto-tuner, check out the undercarriage. anyone ever hear of these?

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Saba~3000~chassis[1].jpg
    Saba~3000~chassis[1].jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 163
Based on the chassis #s you've got a '62 Futura III French Provincial there. Your grill cloth, however, looks like that used on the catalog picture of the visually identical '63 Futura IV French Provincial. You can find further information on my website:

http://members.cox.net/fisherconsoles/

The 1962 Futura III
61FuturaIIIProvincialCatalog.jpg

i notice that at your site it says the unit has a 480-t chassis and mine is a 490-t, is that a typo or are they different? do you know the difference?
terrific site my man, some great stuff in there. i am officialy on a mission now and will not rest until i find one of those big ones with the two monster monoblocks.

that is dope.

It is my suspicion that Fisher phased in new chassis without strict regard to the model year. You probably have a late '62 Futura III which has an early 490-T chassis that would officially debut on the '63 Futura IV. That might also explain why your grill cloth matches that pictured in the '63 catalog. The chassis database I have was compiled by a collector and reflects the chassis he found in various consoles. There are some models with three different chassis combinations within the same year.

Here's the tube layout diagram for the 1962 Ambassador IV. The database lists the chassis as a 470-T and a 660-A. I wouldn't be surprised if the 470, 480 and even the 490 had pretty much the same layout with minor circuitry changes. I can't say for sure without the schematics, though.

660-A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom