Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > DIY

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
AK Member

I have the same experience with mine. Although I am on a slabe so the sound just comes at me instead of being wasted transmitting through the structure. I like the 845 tube. I am building an amp to driver my woofs using 807 tubes.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
A guy with too many tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnagle View Post
I have the same experience with mine. Although I am on a slabe so the sound just comes at me instead of being wasted transmitting through the structure. I like the 845 tube. I am building an amp to driver my woofs using 807 tubes.
Heh. I'm not normally listening to music two floors up, but I confess to having a little juvenile fun when it was all new to me. Mine are on a concrete floor too, so I'm definitely getting some reinforcement there!

807 amp is a good plan. PP or SE? What OPTs?

deHavilland UltraVerve+Aries 845; L. Moore UltraFi Monaco
Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL LE15B; TAD 2402 clones w/ Yuichi horns
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
AK Member

It will be PP triode using Hayboure (sp) OPTs. Here is the link to my thread in the tube forum.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=206460
Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewma04 View Post
JBL LE15B might be a great option.

Re: 3.3-3.6 ohms
Fs: 24-26hz
Qts: .1633 - .1859
Qes: .1803 - .1950
Qms: 4.172 - 4.763
A friend of mine read this post and my response, and offered to loan me a pair of LE15s! Nice friend, eh? So he brought them by today, and I quickly popped one in. Great bass in the horn mouth, but ??? Everything else was haywire till I reversed polarity to match the compression driver and other channel (I had the JBLs hooked up red to positive at first... that darn JBL...). Ah, but then it was good.

I measured the other one on Woofer Tester 3, and got Fs of 30, Qts of .23. Sometimes I wonder if woofers ALWAYS drift in that direction, or if WT3 is less accurate (in this way) at the low end of Qts..

But as I say, initial response was very positive! Sounds quite good, and I'm all JBL now.

Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL LE15B; TAD 2402 clones w/ Yuichi horns
Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Very interesting. LE15B model? Or some other LE15 version?
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewma04 View Post
Very interesting. LE15B model? Or some other LE15 version?
Yup, LE15B. I'm scrounging around now for the right crossover parts for this much lower impedance woofer.

I'm kinda thinking I need to talk my friend out of these...

Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Curve Junkie

LE15B, accordian surround, used ported to make boomy bass in L200, JBL's "Quintessential Rock Speaker," and as 2216, in ill-fated 4325 pro monitor of similar design.

Crossed at 1.2 kHz in both:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...L200A%20ts.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

In relentless pursuit of truth, enlightenment, and the AudioKarma way...."

November 22, 1942 ~ February 4, 2011 R.I.P.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Audiokarma.org Member of the Year 2010
Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
LE15B, accordian surround, used ported to make boomy bass in L200, JBL's "Quintessential Rock Speaker," (...)
The pair I'm using were taken from L200 cabinets, and those cabinets now have 2226 in them. So far it seems like a win-win. The 2226 like the ~4cu ft cab, and the LE15B are happier in my horns.

Last edited by tubino; 05-03-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, the LE15B seem like they were designed to reside in big horns. Too bad JBL used them in the L200...
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
AK Member

This is the first I've seen this this thread. I have been using 4530's that I built in 1981 and they where over built, 3" screws every 3 inches, tons of glue, much more solid the the JBL's we copied and the sound noticably fatter, better low end. I was using 811b's and 2345's and 2405's crossed over at 800 and 7k, but a few weeks ago I put the $10.00 waveguides,from my econowave efforts, onto my 2420's and this is the best it has ever sounded! Now you can resume this wonderfull discussion!
Audiokarma
Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 AM
AK Member

So T, after a bit of listening, how do the JBLs compare to the Altecs??? I just got back from FL last night after a week of being gone and the first thing I did, after kissing the wife, was fire up the Imperials. Damn I missed them. The bass on Hotel California from the Eagle's live album makes dust fall from the ceiling. To bad these things are so big, I'd like to A/B the JBL 136A I am using with all the drivers you've used.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnagle View Post
So T, after a bit of listening, how do the JBLs compare to the Altecs???
Yesterday I bought Dave Newman's JBL L15B's, the nice pair that measure close to each and reasonably close to spec. (And Dave Newman is a NICE SMART GUY, and a good guy to deal with!) With help from Ron (spkrman57) and Brad while I marinated skewered and grilled some kebabs, we got this matched pair installed in the Imperials and made a quick'n'dirty adjust on the inductor value for the 2nd order crossover. (Ron came up with some rationale for keeping the cap value the same, tossing out a lot of Butterworth and Linkwitz-Reilly to confuse us). Top end was still JBL 2441 and constant directivity horn on a 3' wide baffle.

Oh, and while I had more hands to help carry heavy things up and down stairs, we put the deHavilland Aries amps in the living room system (less efficient, could use a few more watts for overhead), and put Larry Moore's UltraFi Monaco on the Imperials. Got it all hooked up, left it playing quietly, ate dinner... returned to the scene.

By this time the Ultraverve preamp and the Ultrafi had time to warm up. Tracks 4 & 10 of Flight of the Cosmic Hippo confirmed that we HAVE solid horn loading into the 30s. Some reference classical material to dial in the Lpad for the top end, and after that it was ALL GOOD. We put on lots of different kinds of music...

Ron and Brad agreed: this system KICKS ASS.

Last edited by tubino; 05-03-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Rick,

It was a pleasure talking to you and dealing with you, as well. Very glad to hear they worked out so well.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
wrongsideofthetracks

It was great meeting a few folks at the fest Saturday.

I actually made it a more involved weekend by visiting and staying with Rick and Brad and checking out their audio gear.

I have to admit that Rick's Jensen Imperial horns are impressive in size when you actually stand in front of them, and they sound as impressively big as they look!!!

Ron
Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Speakerfixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubino View Post
But they just didn't load the horn, at all, and the bass just wasn't there. Maybe the Fs at 40 was too high... but I think the horn DID work with at least one other driver (EV) that had an Fs at least that high... so it might not be a single-parameter answer.
I think you have the answer there. Something like a 130A/2220, the aforementioned 2205s (or the more modern equivalent 2225), a 2234. or an LE15 variant would probably be right-on. A bit more cone and voice coil mass than the E130 (which, IMHO, is a big midrange driver, in essence... great for lead guitar, but nothing for bass).

The EV, while having a higher Fs, also probably had a slightly higher Qts too, IIRC. More cone mass on the DL15... not excessive, but enough.

One idea- if you ever have the E130 back in there... try putting a 1 ohm resistor in series. It'd be interesting to see if reducing the damping a bit might "pump up" the bottom end a bit...

Regards,
Gordon.

“My definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear.”- Mark Donahue
My AK Gallery Photo Page: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=1240
Audiokarma