KP 2022A with Pics. Anyone familiar?

bhundu

Addicted Member
Hi All,

My step up into the next level with the TD 160 has been put on hold for a while due to the need of a cart more suited to tonearm mass (AT 440MLa not suitable). I've decided to power down the Thorens until it's next lot of tweaks (cork dampening, new base and lower compliance cart) so I'm back to one of my old faithfuls that I've had for 20 years and has been in the family since the 70s.

It's a custom made unit that features a KP-2022A and a KR 3400. I have two of these TTs (like to have two of things) and while setting this one back up last night I noticed that the correct overhang was imposible to acheive. I have the cart all the way out. I use the turntablebasics mirrored protractor. Also I have no idea of the tonearm mass. There's no good info on this unit anywhere that I've looked.

Can anyone give me an idea of the mass (light medium heavy)?

Is the turntable basics protractor true for all pivoted arm tables?

Thankyou

Lee

Attachments

• kenwood 006.jpg
    kenwood 006.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 121
  • kenwood 007.jpg
    kenwood 007.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 105
  • kenwood 016.jpg
    kenwood 016.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 126
  • kenwood 019.jpg
    kenwood 019.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 84
The arm mass looks medium to heavy. Very interesting design.

The turntable basics protractor is Baerwald. It pushes the cartridge far forward. If you don't have enough adjustability that way (most vintage Japanese tables other than Technics don't) then you can't use it. Download the Stevenson protractor from vinylengine. That should work.

As far as the TD-160 goes, the AT440MLa is not ideal, but isn't that far off the mark. Did you try it? Many folks with arms heavier than yours use it without any problems. In fact, they use even higher compliance cartridges. Use compliance/arm mass theory as a guide, but don't become a prisoner to it.

Thank you so much Howard

I had the AT440MLa sounding great but did fall victim to the compliance/mass theory. I'll get back to the TD 160 in a week or so. Just need to enjoy some vinyl for a bit and not worry about the finer details.

It is a good basic TT this Kenwood. Very easy to operate and it's had a connection with me since I was a child. I'll download the Stevenson protractor and check but at the moment it's playing fine.

I owned one of those Kenwoods back about 1973 or '74 but sold it for a Dual 1219. That tonearm is designed to reduce or eliminate resonance and, IIRC, it works pretty well. Otherwise it's your basic belt-drive Kenwood, which means it's pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom