Fisher Tube help

MrWick

Hello All:

I recently acquired a Fisher stereo console called 'The Fisher' Model W-59. It is an all tube unit- amp is W-49A (12AX7 driver and 2 ELL-80 powertubes). Preamp/AM-FM tuner is W-49T and has 'Warwick' name on tuner faceplate inside cabinet.
Wondering if anyone knows a source for any printed material- owners/service manuals, schematics perhaps and or parts? Tried the Fisher Doc and Metalbone but, never heard from them.
Appreciate any help/advice you may have to offer.

Mark

You've come to the right place, Mark, but you've got a very unusual Fisher console. Let me implore you to post a few pictures whenever you get a chance because this is a console I've never seen. I have it listed in my chassis database but it just says: W-59/Warwick Console System. No date - no chassis numbers - very mysterious! It's the only entry like that, too. So let me thank you for allowing me to pencil in those chassis numbers.

If you go to my website http://members.cox.net/fisherconsoles/ you will note that your console model number seems to belong to the 1964 model year. However, it is not listed in either the 1964 catalog or dealer price list. The Warwick may have been a model that Fisher manufactured for a specific retailer. Analog Addict ran across a similar situation with the Chadwick (C-33) model. In his case the chassis were known models also used in the Custom Electra of the same year. In your case, unfortunately, I have never heard of the W-49A or W-49T. Furthermore, the ELL-80 is a very unusual output tube for Fisher. But I did run across a possible source for schematics here. And if that site doesn't pan out, let me know; I may have a back-up plan.

Hello Red One:

Thanks for the help. Found 49A/49T on the schematic site you provided,
I assume this is the correct one. The 'W' possibly added for the model 'Warwick'- my feeble guess. Each tube is marked ELL80/6HU8 with "The Fisher" on the bottom.
I will try and post pictures. I am about to power up the amp on a variac- ala Thatch Ear's guidelines. Everything is surprisingly clean, rust and leak free,
hoping all goes well. The cabinet definitely needs work- my summer project I guess.

Mark

The 'W' possibly added for the model 'Warwick'- my feeble guess. Each tube is marked ELL80/6HU8 with "The Fisher" on the bottom.
Actually, that might be a pretty good guess. Does you power amp look like this?

CE5.jpg

If so, those ELL80s are not your output tubes (I thought that was a strange output tube), they are the driver stage tubes. I'm feeling kind of dumb because I didn't recognize the chassis number because of the somewhat misleading "W". I actually had a Fisher console with this chassis combination that I gave to a friend who still uses it daily. If your Warwick is anything like her Custom Electra IX it has the potential to be a fine sounding console.

CE6.jpg

The years on these chassis run from 1965 to 1966, not 1964 as I surmised earlier. They are not all tube, however. The output stage consists of 4 transistors seen below as Q1-4:

49-A.jpg

49-T.jpg

I'm really looking forward to pictures of the cabinet to see how it compares to the Custom Electras.

Last edited:
Red1:

That is it exactly, tuner faceplate is same, save the Electra moniker, mine has 'Warwick'. Cabinet interior looks very similar. Fisher 3-way speakers on each side.
I'm about to bring it all up on a variac as I mentioned. Any advice in restoring this console to it's full potential? Thanks again for the help.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom