AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

That would be great! I'm probably going to get a Router Buddy, unless you have a better suggestion. It would be very helpful to see you do one, even if the gear isn't exactly the same.

I can't make a suggestion on the Router Buddy as I've never used it. I have a continuously variable circle guide kind of like it from Craftsman but I didn't like it because I had a hard time getting it to stay put. I suspect the vibration of the router caused the knob/set screw to come loose. The router buddy looks to be better built so I would think they've addressed that.

I use the Jasper jig (the big one, can't remember what number that is) but it has seen better days. There is a crack threatening its usefulness so I may be in the market before too long. If you go with the RB, please review it. :thmbsp:

Ray

To me they sound fine horizontally, but I haven't tried them vertically yet. Is there any sound reason that there would be a difference?

I'm impressed by the way they seem to 'disappear', like the music isn't coming from the speakers. I still haven't had a chance to experiment with placement yet... too anxious to hear them play. :music:

BTW, the frontal dimensions are still 8"x14". The depth is longer by about 1 1/4" which makes them look a bit "flatter", but the back panel is inset by the same amount so the internal dimensions are the same.

Very nice jimbofish. Welcome to the Indignia Club. I like the idea of reusing an existing cab (ala Econowaves).

I also use mine horizontally every day but only due to space constraint related to a low shelf over my desk. I position mine with tweeters to the outside. They are also used in a nearfield configuration. I think they sound great that way.

When I play them somewhere else I do use them vertically but will have to try them horizontally now. I would guess they image better vertically but will try to confirm that hypothesis.

That would be great! I'm probably going to get a Router Buddy, unless you have a better suggestion. It would be very helpful to see you do one, even if the gear isn't exactly the same.

Let us know how the Router Buddy works. I bought the jasper jig, still awaiting the router. I wasnt sure which to get.

Russellc

Happy to report that another pair of Indignias are alive and well! Pics to follow after camera battery has a full charge. :music::music::banana:

Congrats, 1MOR and welcome to the Indignia Club. How do they sound to you?

Hey fellas,

I didn't want to tie up this thread with a multitude of pictures and I thought it might be helpful for other speakers too so I made a new thread out of the baffle milling. It's here if you want to give it a look.

Ray

Congrats, 1MOR and welcome to the Indignia Club. How do they sound to you?

Thanks Robie. I think you gave me the heads up for the second GB. Much appreciated.

Running them near field, driven by a Sonic Impact T amp, small USB dac, all fed from the computer. I would imagine that it will take a couple of days for these to break in. Impressive sound stage and dynamics. I have noticed some high frequency grunge but believe that break in should help resolve that. Its all tied together with some 30 - 40 year old rat shack wire and cables. Low end is taught, no mid bass bloom. I am presently playing Mapleshade's "The Angels" which is a live church choir recording. Hand claps are tight and the liveness of the recording is very distinct.

Can't wait to hear these, driven by a decent set of wires and an amp with some balls. There is a Scott 222C, a Krell and some DIY project amps that will get hooked up to the Indignias at some point!

I didn't want to tie up this thread with a multitude of pictures and I thought it might be helpful for other speakers too so I made a new thread out of the baffle milling. It's here if you want to give it a look.
Beautiful job, Ray, both the tutorial and the crisply finished result! :thmbsp:

Here they are, finally. This was a great project. Thanks Zilch for the design and the GB. Thanks to Ray for doing the baffles. So as not to offend any of the Jihadists, there is also a pic of the girls in burkas.

I used Sonic Barrier 3/4" 3-Layer damping material from PE to line the cabs. Changes the sound of the knuckle knock to a click, kinda pricey!

indigniasaug12009001.jpg

indigniasaug12009003.jpg

indigniasaug12009005.jpg

I am pleased to award S/N 35 and 36 to 1MOR for his slick Indignia build! :thmbsp:

Here they are, finally. This was a great project. Thanks Zilch for the design and the GB. Thanks to Ray for doing the baffles.
You are very welcome, certainly.

Speaking for everyone, the design team is justly proud of what AKers have accomplished. You have collectively raised the bar on DIY with this project.... :yes:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2269528#post2269528

Last edited:
1MOR, unfortunately, the Indignias need quite a bit more power than a T-Amp can deliver to really shine. I tried mine with my Super-T and it runs out of power pretty quickly. I generally use a 30W/ch Sherwood S-7200 but a 25W/ch Accurian will drive them nicely too.

I find myself being disheartened that I don't have a job and so cannot (as of now) afford to build a set of these babies. I really do want to! :banana: I'll just continue to follow the thread for now:thmbsp:

EDIT: I heard mention of the 'Indignia Train' elsewhere in this thread-let my avatar be the locomotive :D

1MOR, unfortunately, the Indignias need quite a bit more power than a T-Amp can deliver to really shine. I tried mine with my Super-T and it runs out of power pretty quickly. I generally use a 30W/ch Sherwood S-7200 but a 25W/ch Accurian will drive them nicely too.

That does seem to be one aspect that I have noticed, these suckers can eat some power. With the A7s fairly dam loud, if I switch the cables over to the Indignias, you can barely hear them. These speakers have great performance, but one of the compromises is that they do require some power.

They can really put both my 70 watt 6550 P-P amp, or a 150 watt solid state amp through there paces! I've lately really enjoyed them with the 6550 amp, an Audio by VanAlstein Super Pas III Pre/phono and a highly modified ( Merrill-Scillia) AR The Turntable. It has a Magnepan Unitrac tone arm and Shure V15vxrm cart. Sounds real good with the Indignias.

Russellc

Indignias in da House!

I've just finished my set of Karma Indignias, and they are breaking in nicely.
With only 4 hrs of playing time on them, I'm really impressed with the sound. Excellent soundstage. Beautiful mids and highs. Quoting Zilch: "It sounds like a piano". He's right, it does.

Many thanks to all contributors on this project. I would never have even considered doing this without your insight. Special thanks to Zilch, who handled logistics and put up with my dumbass noobness in speaker building, and to Ray, for the pro baffle carpentry job.

The system as shown (hopefully) below goes into the new grandchild's room, so momma can lullaby her to sleep with 'em.

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Congrats, Stratmel. I'd never built any speakers before and now I've built 3 pairs of Indignias. A great project to learn and build confidence on, eh?

Indignias really begin to grow on you after awhile. I listen to mine every day. After a week in the north woods with a really nice 12V powered mini system (Super T-Amp, ADS 200Cs and Radio Shack CD-3400 portable CD player) the Indignias sound just huge.

Thanks Zilch & Robie - it was a great learning experience for me.

As for the confidence factor - I'm already thinking I could blast out 3 more of these and a homemade sub for a nice high-WAF HT...the baby can have the A-25's.

They do grow on you. They have only been running about 1-2 hrs/day, more on the weekend. Already they seem to be smoothing out to my old ears. For now I think I'll keep the little old 'Sui amp on them, but I wonder if they would benefit from a more modern one. Have yet to spin some vinyl through them,
I'll set that up this weekend.

I'm very pleased with them.
:thmbsp: AK Design Collaborative.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark

This morning I was playing the Indignia's fairly loud, but nothing amazing or anything, and the power meters ( how ever accurate they are ) were measuring cleanly into the 100-150 watt range! These can use some power for sure.

russellc

I continue to marvel at this amazing little speaker, even if its driven by a 5 watt T amp. I was working on the computer last evening and listening to Sonny Rollins's "The Bridge". The sound stage extended at least 18" beyond the Indignias and I could clearly identify the location of each performer and their instruments. Of course, having a great CD as a source tends to make good speakers shine.

Attachments

• SONNY ROLLINS THE BRIDGE.jpg
    SONNY ROLLINS THE BRIDGE.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom