Fisher console, VA

That's a '65 model and it's a hybrid with a 49A amp and 49T preamp/tuner. 15 tubes with 4 output transistors and a Miracord 10F TT. It sure looks to be in sweet shape and he's looking for offers. I'd be on it if it were close!

Dave

I spotted that one, too. I'm fairly close but full up on Fisher consoles. I called my friend Sandi who has a 66 Electra with the exact same chassis to see if she wanted a spare or liked the French Provincial in preference to her Early American but she doesn't have the space for a second console. Too bad because it does appear to be in good condition.

Did anyone spot the amazing console in Germantown, Md.? Listed in the antiques section: on the outside it was a Magnavox Regency Symphony from the mid 50s in what appeared to be pretty good cosmetic shape. It was, in fact, a treasure box full of top-shelf Fisher components: an FM-90 tuner, 80-C preamp and a 100 amp in working condition FOR FREE! Some lucky soul was quicker than I was.

It's gone now but there was a link to the guy's photo sharing site with a slide show set to music that was obviously done by someone who loved his console. Why it was being offered for free one can only speculate but I doubt it was a good karma situation. I'm sort of glad I didn't get that email.

Damn..I'm only about ten short miles from there, in Ashburn...tasty looking deal..just had to get me thinking today, didn't you, lol...I've promised myself I'd get rid of the 60's stuff I have before I go scarfing up more...

I went ahead and got it. Cosmetically 8 of 10. A couple of scratches, the usual grubby knobs, faceplate. Everything works. Old lady went with me and WAF is:thmbsp::thmbsp:. She paid $75.

Loaded it up in the truck on it's back, Blankets, pillows on ends of bed, 2 tiedown straps,and came home. Somewhere along the line it flexed enough to crack the dial glass in the lower corner. Oh-Well. It happens.

Cleaned up the faceplate, glass, Turntable, gave it a wipe down with Howards Restore a finish.

One flaky tube socket or dirty tube pins on tuner. Volume pot dirty. Gonna dig in to it after dinner.

Here's some prelim pics.

Last edited:
Larry:

Very sweet! Congrats and enjoy, I'm so happy that your wife likes it. I've got 5 consoles on the main floor of our house and my wife fully supports me as well. It's a shame about the dial glass, but you could take it to your local glass shop to see if they can repair it.

Dave

I just superglued the piece together and put it all back together when I pulled out the tuner for DE-Oxit.

Eventually I'll find one, but I'm not that worried about it.

Larry

Very,very nice job! I'm in Ashburn, and took a long look at that one myself! That Howards refinishing product looks like it performs minor miracles!!:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Just how esoteric and topshelf do these consoles get? Are there any particularly remarkable brands, aurally?

Last edited:
Give me one of those in a "Danish modern" style cabinet and I'd be re-arranging my house to find a spot for it.

I went ahead and got it. Cosmetically 8 of 10. A couple of scratches, the usual grubby knobs, faceplate. Everything works. Old lady went with me and WAF is:thmbsp::thmbsp:. She paid $75.

Loaded it up in the truck on it's back, Blankets, pillows on ends of bed, 2 tiedown straps,and came home. Somewhere along the line it flexed enough to crack the dial glass in the lower corner. Oh-Well. It happens.

Cleaned up the faceplate, glass, Turntable, gave it a wipe down with Howards Restore a finish.

One flaky tube socket or dirty tube pins on tuner. Volume pot dirty. Gonna dig in to it after dinner.

Here's some prelim pics.

That's an Elac Miracord turntable you got there. I used to own one, I think a model 10H. Picked it up in Germany, from my Dad, back in the mid 60s, along with his X202B and Sherwood 3000 tuner. Sure wish I still had them with me. (sniff, sob):tears:

The one on the console is a 10F. Need to find a SM for it.

The Tonearm on this is a wild setup. The whole headshell end slides off, and the black assembly with "The Fisher" is actually the weight. Now to get a scale. I read somewhere that a nickel is roughly 2.5gr. I compared one with a known 2gram and 4gram weight I have for my H4S Stanton. it's definately close to the 2gram. Layed it on the back end of the tonearm, balanced it horizontal and then removed the nickel. It tracks nice.

Larry

Anybody got a line on a schematic on a 49A amp? I snagged one for the ELL80 tubes, which I need for my guitar amp. Wondering what else is in there.

If anybody needs this thing sans tubes, it's going cheap/trade for a tube, power transformer or something similar.

I was going to scab the power trans but hate to deface vintage gear. Used up too much "Audio Karma" doing the evil parts scavenger deed in the 80s!

Back
Top Bottom