AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

I made 5 indignias using PE blank inwall baffles that I never took pics of and my bigger project uses indignia parts for the mids and highs, it still mostly in my head, but I did work on the aluminum phase plugs recently.

I made 5 indignias using PE blank inwall baffles that I never took pics of

Sure you did.

and my bigger project uses indignia parts for the mids and highs, it still mostly in my head,

At least there's plenty of room. :D

Dave, were those Indignias pictured for a certain AKer that I've been harassing lately?

Roundignias live

Here are the ones I've been working on lately. The Roundignias. They're 12" concrete tube with MDF front and back. I went with .5cuft because it was easier than making a snorkel port to fit if I went with .38. Stock XO. I haven't hooked them up on the big system yet but running on the shop system outside they sound pretty good. Theoretically they should sound just like the "normal" Indignias with a little more bass but an A/B comparison will have to wait until after the weekend.

They still need a little work like painting the inside of the ports, adding a little more driver gasket as the inset is a little deeper than needed, etc. They'll be making the trip to Jay's Twangfest in KC Saturday. That's why I stopped without being completely finished. I leave tomorrow and wanted them "done enough" to take along. The baffle and back are cherry veneer with a couple coats of tung oil. I'll probably put a few more coats on when I get back.

The cradles are also "done enough". I put them together yesterday and did some sanding today. Didn't have enough dry time to prime/seal and paint so I just threw a coat of paint on. I'll deal with them later. You can also see which tweeter I used for test fitting. I may throw some sawdust on the other one so they match. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ray

Attachments

• roundignia2.jpg
    roundignia2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,723
  • roundignia3.jpg
    roundignia3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 712
Are the cabs a heavy duty cardboard concrete form (Sonotube) or is it actually concrete pipe?

BTW, if it's actually concrete pipe, I'd suggest a handle so you could strap 'em to your bike's handle bars for a nice mobile system.:D

Nice job!

Are the cabs a heavy duty cardboard concrete form (Sonotube) or is it actually concrete pipe?

BTW, if it's actually concrete pipe, I'd suggest a handle so you could strap 'em to your bike's handle bars for a nice mobile system.:D

Nice job!

It's a cardboard concrete form. Guess I should watch my word usements. :)

Ray, your posts always gives me great understandings. Seriously, I've learned a great deal from you and enjoy your attempts to drag me into the science of why speakers sound the way they do. :thmbsp:

Zilch, while I haven't convinced my (non-AK) friends to send me pics to post yet, I've built 2 additional pairs for them that are complete. I also know of 2 more pair that are barely started (by a seldom posting AK member). I know that #s won't be assigned until pics are posted but am mentioning it to document that there a more than a few pair out there impressing folks.

Last edited:
Any further progress on the Mindignia's? :D My HT impatiently awaits.

Parts have been ordered to build the Indignia X-over for comparison to the Silver Al's I currently have. I have no measurement equipment but I could provide a review of how they compare by my ears if there's any interest.

You can also see which tweeter I used for test fitting. I may throw some sawdust on the other one so they match. :D
Ray

Any idea why those domes are so sticky? Should we expect that to go away eventually, or are we resigned to the inevitable "fuzzy tweeter" syndrome?

You call that harassment? :boring:

Lightweight! :D

Yeah, wrong term. How about "mildly pestering"?

Any further progress on the Mindignia's? :D My HT impatiently awaits.

I've got drivers. Have to build boxes and XO's. Maybe in the next week or so.

Any idea why those domes are so sticky? Should we expect that to go away eventually, or are we resigned to the inevitable "fuzzy tweeter" syndrome?

Looking at my original Indignias, it appears the reach a "critical mass" of dust and settle into equilibrium. They're just a bit more dull than out of the box.

I've got drivers. Have to build boxes and XO's. Maybe in the next week or so.
Preliminary Mindignia baffle layout, dimensioned from the center:

Woofer: 2.0" down, on centerline.

Tweeter: 3.0" up, 0.375" offset.

Port: 1.5" up, 1.75" offset opposite way.

Please confirm; cab is 7.5" x 12".

Mine are curved cherry to match my Indignias.

[Cute.... ;) ]

Last edited:
I just feel like posting to this thread to pay homage to an absolute gem of a small and inexpensive loudspeaker

:ntwrthy::ntwrthy::ntwrthy:

These speakers are just amazing. Clean, full, sweet.

They really play well with jazz ensembles. Huge sound in a small package. Build yours today !!!! :banana:

I had previously posted about their lack of efficiency and how that diminished their appeal. I hereby publicly retract previous post. It's OK, I have the watts to spare, let the good times roll.

I'll be at the KC fest to hear these!

russellc

You bailed on us! I didn't even know you were taking off early. Wish you'd said something so we could have hooked them up earlier. They got pretty good reviews when they got playtime.

Here's where I'm really lucky - RayW built mine!

Lucky? I don't know about that. Have you put a finish on them yet?

Back
Top Bottom