Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

PRicing the 6HU8's at various tube places on the net. They range from 37.00 to 68.00 so far. Too bad Jim McShane doesn't have them listed on his site. The direct sub for the ELL80/6HU8 is a 6GU8. The 6GU8 is a non item from the 6 tube suppliers I just checked.
Larry

Last edited:
Fisher Console Info: 1955; 1958-1971

A big 'Thank You' to larryderouin for all his work scanning the 1969 and 1970 brochures and uploading them to Photobucket. I'll add the 1966, 1967 and 1971 brochures which will almost give us 1958-1970 complete (except for 1968) if you include my website which covers 1958-1965:

I realize that 1967 to 1971 were solid state years for Fisher but I think it makes sense to keep everything together since there is undoubtedly much overlap in interest.

1966 copyright date: 1965

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/irwinbay/1966 Fisher Console Catalog/
Front_cover_1966.jpg

1967 copyright date: 1966

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/irwinbay/1967 Fisher Console Catalog/
Front_Cover_Page_1967.jpg

1968 No catalog for this year, just single page brochures for each model.

1967-8page1.jpg

1969 copyright date: 1968

http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp168/torskdoc/1968 FISHER CONSOLE BROCHURE/
68fisher0001jpgcover.jpg

1970 copyright date: 1969

http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp168/torskdoc/1969 FISHER CONSOLE BROCHURE/
1970FisherCatalogCover.jpg

1971 copyright date: 1970

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/irwinbay/1971 Fisher Catalog/
1971FisherCatalogCover.jpg

And, while I'm gathering everything into one big pile, I might as well track down and create links to these 1955 Fisher Brochures courtesy of AK member Duffinator:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1763471&postcount=15
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1763497&postcount=17

Last edited:
PRicing the 6HU8's at various tube places on the net. They range from 37.00 to 68.00 so far. Too bad Jim McShane doesn't have them listed on his site. The direct sub for the ELL80/6HU8 is a 6GU8. The 6GU8 is a non item from the 6 tube suppliers I just checked.
Larry

I bought several pairs off of Flea-bay when I first picked up my Allegro console. Patience will be rewarded.

I didn't spend more than $40 a pair....:thmbsp:

I stay away from E-PREY as much as possible. I did find a "lil shop on the corner" Neighborhood TV Shop in Canton Neighborhood in Baltimore. 3 stories(including basement of parts, equipment and more friggin tubes than you can shake a dozen sticks at) including basement. He's got tubes stacked in drawers, shelves on the stairs, cabinets, boxes, wherever they'll go. All i saw while touring the bldg, were in boxes. the few I pulled matched the box for tube # AND Brand. I paid $6.00 for a DUMONT 6GK5. Keeping the box too. Tested 90% of new.

Now that I know where he is, He's my go to guy for tubes.

Larry

Howdy guys; great thread! I just picked up what I believe is a 1960 Custom Electra III with the modern cabinet this morning. (Actually, I just agreed to buy it. The guy I'm getting it from is cleaning up the cabinet for me and I'll bring it home next Saturday.) He said it worked fine, but he pulled it apart to clean the pots. I agreed to buy it as-is and clean and lube the pots and reassemble the electronics myself and he's going to touch up a couple of nicks in the cabinet.

One of the lamps that illuminates the dial is burned out, as is the bulb that illuminates the turntable area. Does anyone know where to find these? He removed the lamp from the TT area and subsequently lost it so I don't have the original to try and match up. Also, the lamp for the radio dial is similar in style to a fuse; it clips in with a contact on both ends.

I can post pics of both the console and the parts needed next weekend. Thanks in advance for your help!

I just took a look at the 66 and 67 catalogs online...... very nice! I have the 69 catalog and I like the design of the 66 and 67 consoles better. I have a 69 Royal Electra in Mediterranean and it's just not what I want in a console styling wise. I've also got a Philharmonic from 69....... I like that cabinet better, but don't care for the electronics. Judging by the 67 Philharmonic I had the later cabinets are probably better acoustically...... at least on the lower end of the scale.

Well, I found a Philharmonic P-291 like Nerdorama has. I'm trying to decide of I want to buy it or not. It's $40 plus tax. It's the first tubed Fisher I've run across. The cabinet is rough, and would be disposed of. Mainly, I'd be in it for the receiver. It would be my 3rd Philharmonic.......I've got an intact 69, and I dis-assembled a 67 (I think it was a 67).

Well I got my friend picking up consoles now. I know the cut off line is 1965 but I figure I will sneak it in :D. The date on the case said 1966. I imagine this is their first full SS model. I went over did the normal disassemble, clean and lube. The tt's auto feature was a no go so I stuck in another Garrard tt I had and it sings great. Very low console though.

16a4bqu.jpg

16kqu6b.jpg

15hennp.jpg

That model is shown on page 4 of the 1967 catalog. (Link at the top of this page.) It's the Custom Philharmonic Contemporary in walnut. Not bad looking for 1967 if you like the "lowboy" look. Some of Fisher's other '67 models had gone a little over-the-top styling-wise. You're right about it being 100% solid state, though. 1967 was the year all Fisher's models crossed over. The '66 Philharmonic would have still been all-tube.

Last edited:
That's a sharp looking receiver, Though. Those knobs are solid aluminum, I think. It's the same, or similar to one that I have. I dumped the cabinet, Though. It smelled, and wasn't built designed well acoustically.

Yep, we have found out that there are a lot of people into consoles now with style. I had a little phono only admiral, that I wanted to see if anyone was interested, had it playing in the garage and some lady offered me 120$ for it. So I told him to keep an out for consoles that can be tuned up fairly easy and we can pass them on to that crowd. He has a pair of chairs to match the console too.

One other thing you'll note about the FISHER's from 67 on up. They took their receivers, took off the top covers and put them right into a console. So if you get desperate, you CAN take the receiver out and mount it on a shelf in a custom case or nude. You'd have to modify the molex connector for the phono power so you could run one separately instead of that 4 lead cable.

Larry

mystery fisher console

Hello,
I have just received a Fisher mono console and I can't find any information about it. I suspect that it's from the 50's
There is a Fisher label on the back and it says: model K 14, 200watts, serial No. 46454 I have tried to get information on the internet and I can't come up with anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Joe

Last edited:
Hi Red 1 et All:

A while back I posted a query about my Fisher console labeled W-59- "Warwick'. Has the 49-A amp and 49-T pre/ tuner/controller. Cabinet looks alot like the 'Futura V-modern' pictured in your post.
Brought it all up on the variac and seems pretty much fine except phono left channel has a hum which worsens as volume increases.
Would like to know a source for parts, schematic source you gave me.
Also, any reasonable and reliable repair service providers in NY metro area?
Kind of on the fence about restoring the cabinet-needs a fair amount of TLC. Thought of building a custom cab for the electronics and proper boxes for the speakers. Can the existing speaker enclosures in the console be improved? Appreciate any thoughts and/or advice you may have.

Regards, Mark

Mark: Rick @ Stereomanuals.net has the 49A/49T manual. I think Ipaid $17. including Priority mail. Very nice.

Larry

Hello, I have just received a Fisher mono console and I can't find any information about it. I suspect that it's from the 50's.
There is a Fisher label on the back and it says: model K 14.
Joe
K-14 is the chassis number used in the 1955-1957 Custom Electras. There were numerous Custom Electra cabinets such as the: Allegro, Chadwick, Hampshire, Rondo, Normandy, Gotham and Strathmore. The model number for the entire console was the first letter of the cabinet style followed by K-14 (i.e.: Allegro = AK-14). You may be able to spot your console in the 1955 catalog supplied by AK member Duffinator here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1763471&postcount=15

During the same years Fisher also offered a Custom Electra II which had the K-100 chassis. These also came in a bewildering array of cabinet styles and were often identified primarily by their cabinet style. Both Custom Electras and Custom Electra IIs retailed for $595 from 1955 through 1957. Could you post a picture or two? Fishers from the mid-50s aren't very common and were practically unrivaled in quality for that period.

Today I picked up my second Fisher Custom Electra II.

This one has more scratches then my first one (still used in my office at home). Also, it is missing the turntable. But I know from my first one the turntable should be a Garrard RC88/4. This turntable is usually available on E**y.

This one came with 2 Mullard EL37 tubes on the K100 chassis.

Normandy cabinet.

When I went to pick it up the owner had it playing!

My first one I received for free. This one I paid $50.00.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg