Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

What are the speaker sizes?
12" bass, covered-rear 8" mids and horn tweeters. The bass and mids are probably Jensens and the horn tweeter might be a Coral. (Now I know why Joe picked up the Executive - it was for the tweeters!) AK member mcsteam22's 1961 Fisher Statesman (the next model down from the Executive) had Coral tweeters but his were badly corroded. His was originally a coastal Florida console and had rock wool acoustic insulation. Here's the Executive VI catalog entry from the 1961 Fisher console catalog:

61ExecutiveVICatalogA-1.jpg

61ExecutiveVICatalogB-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of the extensive info on Fisher Consoles. I've been having alot of fun reading about these great instruments. The quality of the workmanship was amazing and seems to be a rare thing to find these days.

The console mobile came to Michigan today...

Ok,
There is a current thread running on some of the components of this beast but I want to post here for posterity sake.

First of all thanks to ak'er Joe11611 for responding to my C/L Wanted to Buy add. Also for working with me both in the payment details and the shipping logistics on his end. The electronics were packaged seperatly in a certain bomb proof manner. All arrived whole, intact and with no dents, dings or broken pieces.

Secondly I would like to thank TheRed1 for starting this thread and helping to fuel my addiction towards vintage tube audio. I have been looking for a big Fsiher for quite sometime, pretty much started by oogling over this thread time after time. Never imagined it would be this one, funny my add did contain a pic of this exact unit I lifted from this thread. Karma I guess.

Not much to say. Nice cabinet, X-202 amplifier, 4000-R tuner and Garrard type A turntable. The TT is a little rough, thats ok I have (2) that I can slip into its place while I try to clean this one up. Have not opened speakers yet, that will come later.

Last edited:
Perchdog: SHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!! Even tore apart it looks absolutely stunning.

Might be a bit big for the room, tho. You want to trade for a CUSTOM ELECTRA VIII?:para: Just a few inches shorter..... just kidding.

WELCOME to the CLUB! Such as it is.

Larry

What's next to the TT? Without the optional RtR deck is it just a storage drawer, or is it just a blank drawer face?

Hi Sam,
It is a drawer, somewhere between post #107 and here the rtr was removed. Thats ok, I really have no use for it but the drawer I do.

Does anyone know which model Fisher this is?

Chassis No. 61.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 94
That is a 1958 Series 61 consolette. The #61 was a mono all-in-one chassis with an AM-FM tuner incorporated. The Series 61 was basically a Series 51 with the addition of an AM-FM radio. The Series 51 had push-pull EL84s, a 12AT7 driver/phase inverter, a 6SC7 input stage and a 5Y3 rectifier. The Series 61 probably shared this configuration with the addition of 6 more tubes in the tuner. The Series 51 and 61 evolved into the 510 and 610 in 1959. These had stereo pre-amps and a single channel power amp. They were designed to connect to a second, separate power amp (the 30-A) in a stand-alone speaker enclosure. The Series 51 and 61 were strictly mono - in 1958 only the TOTL President and Executive consoles were stereo. I used to think the Series 61 was a rare console but I have noticed several in recent years.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed information.

Does anyone know a source for the chassis 61 schematic?

I picked up the Fisher Series 61 Consolette.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. It got dark early today because of a storm coming this way.

It was purchased from the grandson of the original owner. Yes, there are scratches but the flash on the camera makes it look worse then it it. The "bracket" (wrong word) that holds open the top is missing. I should be able to find a similar item.

There are 11 tubes: EL84 (2), 6AL5, 12AX7, 6SC7, 6BJ6 (3), 5U4, 6U8, and 6DC6. The EL84's were Mullard. The remainder of the tubes were mostly Fisher (USA) branded.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 74
More photos of the Fisher Series 61 Consolette.

I like the automatic light device in the phono compartment.

As far as a schematic, I am checking into whether the Fisher Series 60 service manual will cover this model.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 66
The Series 60 was from much earlier (around 1952) and had three separate chassis: 60-R, 60-AP and 60-A. There was also the Custom Sixty (MSRP $1,295!) from around 1954 with the famous 50-A amp and a 70-RT tuner/control amp. These have no relation to the Series 61.

The Series 51/61's immediate predecessors were the 1955-57 Series 101 and 202 consolettes. I don't know how closely related the 202 (the one with the radio and phonograph) would be to your 61 but I bet there are probably significant differences. I had thought that the 61 and the 610 might be similar but their power supplies vary considerably. It does appear that Fisher made significant changes to each generation - presumably improvements.

Last edited:
Finally got tired of having to contort my tired old body into a pretzel to play a cassette or a cd on my FUTURA. I had them stuffed in the bottom of the cabinet.

Went down to Lowes and got a couple of brackets, double row uprights, some #12x3" screws, and a 3/4"x16"x36 shelf. Screwed the uprights into studs, attached the brackets, and hung the shelf, AFTER I put the bracket 5 notches down from the top and hung off the bracket(all 172#'s of me.). If each will take my weight, combined they will take an AKAI GX-370, a PIONEER CTF 4242, and a DV-440. All tied into a Realistic Tape Control Center screwed to the back of the FISHER FUTURA CONSOLE. And that is plugged into the Tape Monitor on the Futura. The tape decks are at eye level now, I have LP Storage back in the FUTURA, and I can if needed add shelves.

100_1252.jpg

100_1251.jpg

Yeah that's AK on the Laptop. The Headphones are PRO-4A's I bought in early1970 as a Freshman in HS. And there is a splicing block in front of the GX-370.

Larry

Hi guys - this thread was my inspiration last winter to recap my Fisher 480A and hunt for a Fisher console to put it in.

I'm making headway - I hope to have the amp and tuner installed into the middle compartment of the Ambassador console soon --

just out of curiosity I tried my 480a amp and tuner on a magnavox console - 10" woofers and horns -- it didn't sound very good --

it sounds much better on the the Ambassadors speakers -- and even better with a pair of external bookshelfs (Harmon Kardon HK-10s)

Attachments

• CIMG1020.jpg
    CIMG1020.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 111
  • CIMG1021.jpg
    CIMG1021.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 107
  • CIMG1022.jpg
    CIMG1022.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 109
Sweet setup rmunson. I like the wood face of that year Electra better than the stamped aluminum cover on the '65.

I'm surprised the Maggie Horns and woofers sounded crummy with the Electra amp. I hooked up a 15watt Lafayette (ss) receiver to one of my Maggies before it went bye bye. The speakers actually sounded really good.

When you get it all installed, take the HK-10's and hook them up as the "B" speakers, then run all 4. Man it will sound so much better.

The Futura in the Picture has a set of Sansui SP-2500's as "B" speakers in the same room on the opposite end. The soundstage opens up better than a HT!!! It's like 80% of the room is sweetspot! I've got a set of XP-55's on the Electra as "B" spkr's in the dining room. It just fills the room so much better.

Larry

Hi guys - this thread was my inspiration last winter to recap my Fisher 480A and hunt for a Fisher console to put it in.

I'm making headway - I hope to have the amp and tuner installed into the middle compartment of the Ambassador console soon --

just out of curiosity I tried my 480a amp and tuner on a magnavox console - 10" woofers and horns -- it didn't sound very good --

it sounds much better on the the Ambassadors speakers -- and even better with a pair of external bookshelfs (Harmon Kardon HK-10s)

.. 4 El84's and 2 12AX7's....?

I Just bought a pair of Fishers tonight at the Salvation Army. One is a Philharmonic that they've had for quite some time........ I've watched the price come down. The second is a something Electra Model? III...... that they've had for over a week, by the date on the tag, but tonight was the first time I've seen it. I'll try and pick them up in the next couple of days. I like the looks of the Electra, but unfortunately both consoles are pretty beat up looking.

..........Looks like it's a 1960 Custom Electra Model III, in the modern design, but I don't recall the wood.

http://members.cox.net/fisherconsoles/CustomElectraIII.html

Last edited:
I Just bought a pair of Fishers tonight at the Salvation Army. One is a Philharmonic that they've had for quite some time........ I've watched the price come down. The second is a something Electra Model? III...... that they've had for over a week, by the date on the tag, but tonight was the first time I've seen it. I'll try and pick them up in the next couple of days. I like the looks of the Electra, but unfortunately both consoles are pretty beat up looking.

..........Looks like it's a 1960 Custom Electra Model III, in the modern design, but I don't recall the wood.

http://members.cox.net/fisherconsoles/CustomElectraIII.html

Nice score! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom