HK 990 Integrated Amplifier

johnnm

Audio Enthusiast
Anyone know anything about this? I was just checking to see if anything new was going on at HK and it looks they redid their website (sometime in the past few months) and this unit has appeared.

Looks interesting:

harman-kardon-hk-990.3095126.jpg

517lg.jpg

harman-kardon-hk990-11.jpg

I have used various H/K over the years and have a certain amount of confidence in their offerings, the proof however is in the listening and usage.
I have considered another of this line for powering room to room installed speakers
Past experiences tell me to take a chance on it, it seems well thought out

Rob,

Seems like the first higher-fidelity item HK has offered in the past few years. The design topology looks top notch. I'm not sure what a "sub-in" does, however, or why it might be useful. HK claims the phono section is "audiophile" quality, which may just be true as they include inputs for both MM and MC cartridges. And balanced inputs?!

One thing I noticed from the picture is that it is for 220 volts, not for USA model. Other than that, it sure looks promising, perhaps they'll have a USA voltage unit also.

Wow, looks like HK is trying to make a statement in 2-channel stereo again. Looks pretty good inside - outside is kind of a woof, but then HK has always been a bit unusual in their appearances. Wonder what this puppy sells for?

Is this a class H amp? The dual fans and only 16000uf capacitance per channel suggest it might be.

In European countries HK's website is selling what appears to be a matching CD player and tuner as well. (Actually, tuner matches the smaller version of the 990, the 980. No such components in the US. :wtf:

Last edited:
HK is a multinational, and in being so develops and markets specific items for specific consumer markets.

Like the JBL Japan products.

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/product/jblhome/4312d.html

We don't get that kind of attention here. We get HTIB, Best Buy, what-can-I-get-for-$99 style goods because that's what America wants.

Everywhere else you find people willing to spend a few paychecks on gear, then they live with it almost forever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom