Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Hey Gents!

I was wondering if anyone has gotten further with the 18sound XT1086 horn? I somewhat gave up on the idea (too many projects) but recently found a pair of them along with a pair of B&C DE25's.

I tried to search the thread for updates on one, the other or both combined, but came up with nothing that stood out. This thread is too dang long I tell ya ;)

I guess compensation changes in relation to the Ewave high efficiency x-over is what I am seeking if anyone has tried this yet.

Thanks, RC

JBL 123A Mid Efficiency Version

The 6" and 8" work with the standard crossovers...
I'm a major proponent of the Dayton KD Trapezoid kit. I have JBL 123A-1 (the L100 woofer) installed right now, and am working on optimizing the lowpass filter for that woofer, as a lot of members have and like them and want to use them in EconoWaves. There is an apparent resurgent interest in these woofers on LHF, as well.... :yes:

I am looking forward to the small cab version of the 123A Low Freq crossover as I was able to acquire some empty vintage Altec Seville cabs in good shape thanks to Gogofast and would like to load them with the JBL 123A for a mid efficiency (92dB approx) ewave....:banana:

They are only 2.16 cubic feet volume before drivers & bracing. One is also noticably faded by the sun so I plan on restaining in a classic red cherry to match each other again...the lattice grilles look OK but that may change when taken out....:dunno:

These guys have a nice metal grill. I am considering #18 w/the 77% open space http://perf-plus.com/prod1.htm

Any body know of any box calculation tools that addresses an aperiodic (resistive port) aka Dyna A25 style cab for my future high eff woofer version...:scratch2:

Keep on Wavein......:thmbsp:

Attachments

• Sevilles Cabs.jpg
    Sevilles Cabs.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 70
I was wondering if anyone has gotten further with the 18sound XT1086 horn? I somewhat gave up on the idea (too many projects) but recently found a pair of them along with a pair of B&C DE25's.

I guess compensation changes in relation to the Ewave high efficiency x-over is what I am seeking if anyone has tried this yet.
I did some preliminary testing and posted the findings here, with them sitting atop JBL bass bins. Narrow your search of this thread using "Advanced" and Zilch as poster.

Just ordered another pair of DE250s, and will be mounting the XT1086 in the PE Trap cabs and working out the HF comp for them. They may ultimately end up in AR2 cabs, of all things, here. ;)

I am looking forward to the small cab version of the 123A Low Freq crossover as I was able to acquire some empty vintage Altec Seville cabs in good shape thanks to Gogofast and would like to load them with the JBL 123A for a mid efficiency (92dB approx) ewave....:banana:
123As will work fine closed box in those cabs, with heavy fiberglass fill. I'm about to post data on them in PE Trap cabs, and some tips on the lowpass. I've never done the aperiodic vent thing, but what I've read hasn't told me it does anything but damp the impedance peak of closed box at the expense of defeating the excursion protection.

I'll post the models and explain a bit more about closed vs. ported 123As.... :yes:

Speaker Grills

Anybody looked closely at these grills in terms of diffraction?

I'm thinking the 77% open honeycomb pattern has got to be an improvement over the original Altec wood lattice w/ fabric behind in term of less diffraction....:scratch2:

And having a way of quickly removing them would be a good idea...:thmbsp:

Any other grill ideas? Am open for suggestions ... :beerchug:

Attachments

• Seville Grill.jpg
    Seville Grill.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 65
  • Seville Inside.jpg
    Seville Inside.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 56
Anybody looked closely at these grills in terms of diffraction?
In Q&A at last year's AK fest, D'Appolito said they had tested perf metal grilles and found them to be a preferred material, actually. There's discussion of this in another thread here where Ray tells us the optimum pattern, as I recall. Look at the current Snell offerings, and you'll see it's not just speculation. JBL's been using it for years in SR products. :yes:

HEADS UP eWavers!

EconoWave standard D220Ti is $40.80 through 2/28/10
in the current PE sales flyer....

The whole works is under $200 with free shipping..... :thmbsp:

Last edited:
I did some preliminary testing and posted the findings here, with them sitting atop JBL bass bins. Narrow your search of this thread using "Advanced" and Zilch as poster.

Just ordered another pair of DE250s, and will be mounting the XT1086 in the PE Trap cabs and working out the HF comp for them. They may ultimately end up in AR2 cabs, of all things, here. ;)

Ok, Now I'm at least caught up then :thmbsp:

The 18sound horns are smaller than I thought they were going to be. Thats a good thing actually. I would imagine they might fit nicely into AR2 cabs.

RC

EconoWave standard D220Ti is $40.80 through 2/28/10
in the current PE sales flyer....

The whole works is under $200 with free shipping..... :thmbsp:

What can we do to get PE to offer this in a discounted kit?? That would be a great one stop, one part number order. :yes::yes:

Boston Acoustics A100 Waveguides

Over the holidays I finally finished my Boston Acousticis A100 Waveguide project. Many thanks to all who provided time to answer my questions and give encouragement and advice.

The A100 waveguides are pictured with a Boston A150 and a Boston A200. All three speakers share the same woofer.

As you can see I'm a little over invested in old Boston speakers. Along with these I have a pair of A400s, A70s, A60s, and the obligatory A40s. My wife has a pair of A120s, so between us we had an example of the complete A series line up. That is until I sacrificed the A100s.

I'm really enjoying the sound, it is completely different than the other Bostons. I would love to provide some graphs, but have no way of testing them.

Now I'm wondering... should I try a different woofer??? :scratch2:

Attachments

• DSC00501.jpg
    DSC00501.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00505.jpg
    DSC00505.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
With his slam-dunk-perfect-fit A100 eWaves, Bugs762 becomes "Official E'Waver #80." :thmbsp:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2260584#post2260584

I'm really enjoying the sound, it is completely different than the other Bostons. I would love to provide some graphs, but have no way of testing them.
EconoWave is clearly a different sound. I should have a pair of these to measure soon, as WiredGuy's building some.

What does the better half say? The fair sex hears more of the high-frequencies than us knuckle-draggers do.... :yes:

What can we do to get PE to offer this in a discounted kit?? That would be a great one stop, one part number order. :yes::yes:
Write them with this request. If enough do that, it maybe could happen.... :dunno:

Last edited:
With his slam-dunk-perfect-fit A100 eWaves, Bugs762 becomes "Official E'Waver #80." :thmbsp:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2260584#post2260584

EconoWave is clearly a different sound. I should have a pair of these to measure soon, as WiredGuy's building some.

What does the better half say? The fair sex hears more of the high-frequencies than us knuckle-draggers do.... :yes:
QUOTE]

The better half still prefers her Boston A120s and I have to admit that they do sound good but not as detailed and clear in the mids and highs. Its kind of funny because the 120s have a passive woofer. Sometimes you have sacrafice personal opinion to preserve the harmony of the home. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I work out of town during the week so the E-Waves are gracing the apartment.

For Bass Hounds:

JBL 123A-1 front mounted in PE KD Trap cab:

attachment.php

Closed-box nearfield bass respsonse measurement:

attachment.php

Compare to BB6P model; Black = closed-box, Red = ported @30 Hz; cursor @ -6 dB, the primary difference being the presence vs. absence of a peak at 60 - 80 Hz, bass extension is essentially the same with either alignment:

attachment.php

Vertical polar map, system with PRX waveguide. Forward axis 1" above waveguide center, center distance 10.5", same as with QSC. The wider 70° vertical directivity pattern (our eWave standard is 50°) is apparent in the response holding very stable in the highest octave at +/- 20°:

attachment.php

Highpass required more HF comp than standard for the PRX waveguide. Zobelization of the 123A-1 didn't bring it under control, but the standard lowpass did, 2.0 mH & 20 uF shown. Not low enough though, crossing at 1.825 kHz; the nulls are encroaching too early, supra:

attachment.php

Cumulative spectral decay shows relatively resonance-free performance; just one to find and fix, at, uhmm, ~1.8 kHz:

attachment.php

Attachments

• PRX Trap NF.jpg
    PRX Trap NF.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 388
  • PRX Trap 123A-1.jpg
    PRX Trap 123A-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 709
  • L100 CAR.JPG
    L100 CAR.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 388
  • PRX Trap VP Map.jpg
    PRX Trap VP Map.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 388
  • PRX Trap WF.jpg
    PRX Trap WF.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 386
  • PRX Trap XO..jpg
    PRX Trap XO..jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
In Q&A at last year's AK fest, D'Appolito said they had tested perf metal grilles and found them to be a preferred material, actually. There's discussion of this in another thread here where Ray tells us the optimum pattern, as I recall. Look at the current Snell offerings, and you'll see it's not just speculation. JBL's been using it for years in SR products. :yes:

Dug this out of the Indignia thread from RayW:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2812871&postcount=1037

Several other posts in that vicinity.

Front mounting of JBL 123A-1....
Driver polarities remain same as in QSC/B&C/123A-1 combination?
123A-1 is positive polarity (battery check to confirm), and this system is running the <95 dB eWave crossover with standard connections, i.e., compression driver inverted polarity.... :yes:

Several other posts in that vicinity.
DOG!

Started me reading that way fun thread again. :tongue:

Mindignia tweeters are on sale for $15 in the current flyer also. I need to kick into gear on some protos here. :guitar:

Tip for readers: Click the thread title at the top right of Skywave's single post view link to browse the rest of the thread from there.... :yes:

Last edited:
I'm out in the shop building a pair of 4.5 cu ft 3/4" baltic birch cabinets for my LE14A/QSC/DE250 Ewave combo and it occurred to me that I would like to construct my ports from the birch as well. Duffinator is using two 3" x 5.5" tube ports on his to tune the enclosure to about 30hz(If I remember correctly). My question is; how do I design a rectangular port, or a pair of them? Am I basing the dimensions for the rectangular port off of the combined volume of the two 3" X 5.5" ports? I am assuming it would be beneficial to slightly radius the inside edges to reduce port turbulence.:dunno:

BTW, I have a Mac and so can't use any of the handy free speaker design software available on the net.

BB6P says two 2.66" square x 6.35" long, or one 3.53" square x 4.75" long.

If you want rectangular, vary these dimensions as desired but maintain the same cross sectional area.

BB6P length dimensions usually result in a slightly lower than target tuning, so shorten them a bit, 1/4" or so being my guess.... :yes:

BB6P length dimensions usually result in a slightly lower than target tuning, so shorten them a bit, 1/4" or so being my guess.... :yes:
When we measured mine with the original 6.00" length they were hitting around 26 Hz (I think) so I shortened them 3/4" to bring them up to 30 Hz. Vaughn, mine are 5.25" deep.

BB6P says two 2.66" square x 6.35" long, or one 3.53" square x 4.75" long.

If you want rectangular, vary these dimensions as desired but maintain the same cross sectional area.

When we measured mine with the original 6.00" length they were hitting around 26 Hz (I think) so I shortened them 3/4" to bring them up to 30 Hz. Vaughn, mine are 5.25" deep.

Thanks for the replies...

OK, so you were using two 3" x 5.25" tube ports.
Zilch, were the measurements you gave correct for 30hz tuning or were they based off of a 3" x 5.5" tube? I don't know if it is going to make a big difference either way really:smoke:

The cabinets are looking good so far. I used full length glue blocks made from clear vertical grain fir on each of the long corners and used the same material for some basic side to side bracing. This birch doesn't look like it is going to need a lot of bracing. They are going to be HEAVY. Maybe I should install some wheels:yes:

Back
Top Bottom