Fisher Console Roadside Find!

vinyldavid

Collectorius Giganticus
Subscriber
Well, I was driving down Ladue road today, and I happened upon this in a trash pile, after it didn't sell in an estate sale. Was told it was powered up recently, and looked un messed with, so I took it home. Real bitch to get in the car, this one was...*fit*

And getting it up stairs, by myself.

The cart disengaged from it's glued on half inch mount adapter by the time I got it upstairs, so I rubber-banded it there until I can glue it back together, so I can test the TT. The cart is a ceramic Astatic that is stereo.

The power/volume knob was pretty much stuck when I got it, requiring lots of contact cleaner and a big pair of pliers to turn the knob, but it is loosening up with use. it now works perfectly, with no hum, the tuning lights and meter work, and it sounds really cool......very easy to listen to for hours on end.

Pix!
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

And finally for all those die-hard fisher fans, here's a nice shot of the logo:
IMG_2099.jpg

Oh, and all the tubes look to be original "Made In Germany" Fisher tubes....I would not be surprised if I was the first one inside this thing since it was built.

Those outputs...6HU8, not familiar, are those 2 power-triode or pentodes in one glass envelope? Only shows one tube per side, but calls them push-pull.

. Real bitch to get in the car, this one was...*fit*

And getting it up stairs, by myself.

I'm glad someone else feels my pain :D try taking a 650lb ampex console up a slope and up stairs by yourself...Very nice curbside fine, but beware they are addicting and it looks like we have quite a bit of space to fill in your place :D

Those outputs...6HU8, not familiar, are those 2 power-triode or pentodes in one glass envelope? Only shows one tube per side, but calls them push-pull.

The ELL80's are basically two EL95 pentodes in one bottle. They're getting to be a bit pricey these days.

Sweet find David!

The ELL80's are basically two EL95 pentodes in one bottle. They're getting to be a bit pricey these days.

Sweet find David!

I'll see if I can find some somewhere as spares....everything in this seems relatively common except that.

I'm glad someone else feels my pain :D try taking a 650lb ampex console up a slope and up stairs by yourself...Very nice curbside fine, but beware they are addicting and it looks like we have quite a bit of space to fill in your place :D

yeah....I wouldn't have attempted that one by myself. And I would have unbolted EVERYTHING from it.

Woof! :music:

Beautiful piece, both cosmetically, and in time, sonically.

Great find.

Cheers

Nice find David! Congratulations!

Thank you all!

Nice save, David! A '66 Philharmonic Italian Provincial sitting on the side of the road . . . sad but very fortunate for you. It looks like it's in great shape, too. Now you just have to decorate your room like this:

1966Philharmonic.jpg

Yep. Hard to get, and EXPENSIVE (>$50 per tube). But sound good too.

Following the Numbering conventions of FISHER this is a 1966 Philharmonic in Italian Provincial (that's what the stamped IP means). the 1965 is a P-290. 20Watts total IHF, about 8 watts RMS per Channel.
Last year for tubed FISHERS. 1967 was all Solid State.

Good looking unit

Larry

Damn. Red and I were typing at the same time. The FISHER CONSOLE Radar must be Tuned to both of us for new posts.

Fantastic! that is a sweet looking console. Wish I could find Fisher and/or maggie consoles up here in Canada. Congrats!

Damn. Red and I were typing at the same time. The FISHER CONSOLE Radar must be Tuned to both of us for new posts.
So far three Fisher consoles have surfaced on AK in just the first two weeks of this month. There were an additional four in March. I haven't seen this many Fisher consoles since the Great Executive Outbreak of late November '08 that was centered over the NE US. This month's outbreak seems to be a primarily West Coast phenomenon.

Speaking of which . . . I recently spotted a 1960 Fisher Premiere just like mine for sale in Pomona, Ca. The Fisher Console Radar certainly has had quite a few blips so far this month, Larry.

Nice save. Beautiful piece glad it didn't go to dump. Have fun with it.

Sweet find:yes: Congratulations David. Those 6hu8 tubes are kinda pricey, $40.00 and up for a single tube but they sound very nice. I have them in my Fisher and they sound great. Are all the tubes Fisher branded? The 6hu8's and the 12ax7's could very well be Telefunkin's with a fisher name. Found out thats whats inside mine after a friend told me to look for the diamond shape in the base. It should sound fantastic after doing a recap.

If I had this console, and wanted to use it, I would immediately replace the coupling capacitors to the output tubes. Those tubes are too expensive to risk.

Back
Top Bottom