2 Channel Receiver, 2.1 Channel Audio

GreenCDN

Okay, so I'll lay my cards down 1st. I'm a noob, and only started becoming familiar with stereo inputs/outputs, setups, vocabulary, etc. So if I'm off, or reporting nothing of consequence, don't slay me!

I got myself a Marantz 2235b... a 2 channel receiver. I connected the RCAs out of my computer's audiophile-grade soundcard to this receiver. From the receiver, I connected 2 passive Axiom Canadian-made bookshelf speakers (Yay!). This whole set-up is meant to replace my 2.1 "computer" speaker setup... a sub and left/right speakers, that used a mini-jack to plug directly into the computer.

However, I quickly noticed that the Marantz doesn't care whether you use the headphone jack at the same time as the main/remote speakers (no automatic switching). So I just used a stereo-jack adapter with the computer speaker's mini-jack and plugged it into the Marantz... then I disconnected the left/right computer speakers entirely, leaving only the sub-woofer attached (which happens to have it's own manual volume control, for personalized adjusting!). So now it seems I have 2.1 stereo sound coming out of this 2 channel receiver. :)

Is this old news, or did I do something clever? lol

Cheers!

Its old news, but really you should try a powered (maybe even passive, the 2235B is a stout receiver) subwoofer with a speaker level input.

2.1 in computer speakers is a misnomer.

The ".1" implies a separate channel, which is not the case.

If you're using a standard "headphone" type jack on the 'puter, it's only putting out plain old stereo, or 2.0, not 2.1.

When those two channels get to the subwoofer/amp, it splits the signal, combines the bass and sends it to the woofer. It then sends the rest of the signal to the satellite speakers.

When you send that same 2.0 signal to the Marantz, you're getting the pure, undivided, stereo signal, not 2.1.

But, don't fret. You're not losing anything and you're getting a more pure signal.

Okay, so here's another scenario I'd like to ask about:

I'm looking to buy this subwoofer: http://axiomaudio.com/ep500.html#

1. I'm still using the Marantz 2235B... so would I simply use 2 RCA cables from the Marantz's 'Main Pre Out' left/right plugs to the subwoofers left/right RCA inputs?

2. When I adjust the volume on the Marantz, will it control the volume on the subwoofer too, or will I now be contstantly be fiddling with two seperate volume controls?

3. In the setup I've proposed, the 2 speakers will use their full dynamic range, plus the subwoofer may overlap some of the lower range of the speakers... is this correct? Is this desirable?

4. Getting RCA cables long enough to go from the Marantz to wherever the subwoofer is best placed could make for some expensive cables, I presume!

5. Since I'm using a vintage receiver... is understanding and using 'line level' and/or 'speaker level' inputs even a consideration? I don't understand these options, but I don't think they're available on the Marantz 2235B anyways, are they?

6. Is there any other considerations I should be aware of if I'm using the subwoofer I've chosen? (ex. balanced/unbalanced line-in, need to upgrade receiver, etc)?

Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom