Dual 1228 bent (?) segment issues

asemisldkfj

So my Dual 1228 has a bunch of very confusing symptoms that I don't care to explain (this is not the simplest turntable ever and I slightly regret buying it for this reason). But on the bright side, I've narrowed things down to a particular area.

The segment, the piece with the green arrow pointing to it in this picture, seems to be bent a little bit, so the pawl (red arrow) isn't engaged correctly by the pin (right next to the green arrow, protruding from the side you can't see) on the segment.

This problem makes itself obvious in this picture, where the segment bumps into the shut-off slide and the tonearm doesn't want to move the last couple of millimeters into the tonearm rest.

If I push up gently on that part of the segment everything works fine: the motor engages and disengages when I move the tonearm, and the tonearm moves into its rest with no resistance (picture--sorry for the progressively more blurry photos). It also seems to work if I loosen the two hex nuts that hold the segment to the tonearm (you can see one of these nuts in the first picture, bottom left just above the spring).

Any ideas? I'm afraid something is bent beyond repair, but it would be real nice to get this working. Thanks in advance.

(Attached pictures are in the same order as above.)

Attachments

• playing.jpg
    playing.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 30
  • stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 23
  • fix.jpg
    fix.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 20
Hmm, could this be the guide white thing? I'm trying to find the thread with pictures...

Edit: found it. Still unsure, but the guide white thing sounds like it mostly just creates issues with lateral tonearm movement. I'm having a couple of other issues that seem to be because the pin on the segment isn't engaging the pawl. For instance, the turntable only stays on for one full rotation of the main cam, then the start/stop switch flips back to the middle position, and since the pawl isn't being held in place by the segment pin, the motor shuts off. Tell me if I'm way off here; this is the first turntable I've ever owned!

Last edited:
Join the Vinyl Engine Site. There's a free Dual factory workshop repair manual online. Lots of diagrams and troublesooting information.

I don't know much about your problem, but I know once you solve your problem, you have one hell of a tt there. I love mine, and it works beautifully.

I've got the service manual already. Closest thing I can find to this issue is Figure 20. My instinct says that adjusting the eccentric pin might help with the stopping problem, but it's not going to change the fact that the pin on the segment doesn't trip start/stop because it's not even touching the pawl. I'll mess around with it a bit though.

I think you're more confident than I am that I will solve this, Metalownz!

Edit: I took a look at the eccentric pin on the pawl but that doesn't seem to be what's creating the issue. The pawl locks in the start position fine, but only when the pin on the segment catches it and moves it in the right direction. This isn't happening normally, but only when I put a little bit of pressure on that part of the segment or I loosen those two hex nuts. Argh.

Attachments

• Screenshot-ve_dual_1228_service.pdf.png
    Screenshot-ve_dual_1228_service.pdf.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom