• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

From the Trash: 1947 Fada 799 TV

RichK1

Active Member
I found this in the trash last week. I am not really interested in old TVs but I grabbed it because I thought the tubes might be useful. It has 30 of them; all are there except the 10" picture tube.
6AL5
6K6GT
5V4G
1B3GT/8016
6BG6G
6SN7GT
6SH7
6K6GT
6K6GT
6SK7
6J5
6AC7
6K6GT
5U4G
5U4G
6AU6
6AU6
6AL5
6AL5
6AG5
6AG5
6AG5
6AG5
6BA6
6BA6
6J6
6J6
6J6
6AT6
10BP4 (picture tube, missing)

It looks like the previous owner was in the restoration process. I see a lot of new capacitors. Sadly, he passed away.

I was wondering if it would be possible to create a homebrew audio amp out of this stuff? Or is somebody into these? It seems sad to let this go to waste, but the WAF* is very, very low.

*WAF=wife acceptance factor.
 

Attachments

  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 235
  • name.jpg
    name.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 127
  • tube layout.jpg
    tube layout.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 124
  • chassis top.jpg
    chassis top.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 235
  • chassis bottom.jpg
    chassis bottom.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 208
Register to hide this ad
6SN7s are used often in audio circuits. Many regard them as one of the best low mu duo triodes. I have a line stage amp that uses the 6SN7s, they are nice sounding tubes.

6K6s are found in many antique radio output stages. I wired a pair in a SE amp that I had in breadboard mode. They sounded OK, decent voltage ratings also.

I bet if you were to hunt around there is a TV guy somewhere that would take the FADA off your hands. It seems a shame to junk it. But, I can't seem to get rid of any of my vintage electronics parts.
 
I'm sure the best route would be to trade this with a TV collector in exchange for
some interesting audio parts/tubes. Good luck!
 
I'm sure the best route would be to trade this with a TV collector in exchange for
some interesting audio parts/tubes. Good luck!

Bingo !! Trust me, a FADA is rare, & there would be collectors salivating over this one... Try posting over at Videokarma...
 
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=240209&d=1289757930

That chassis is the cleanest that i have ever seen. it would be a crime to part it out. i strongly suggest that you go to the VideoKarma B/W TV forum & post the pics there as well as ask for the best way to get this in a collectors hands.
i can tell you this much, that Fada is a extremely rare find & there will be a lot of interest in it. PLEASE, PLEASE, do not scrap it, it will be a costly mistake.
 
It's entirely possible I have the Rider's manual for that set, as I have 23 of the first 25 volumes of Rider Television manuals.
 
Please don't part that set out!
I'd like it myself if I was closer.

Keep the tubes if you want but please offer the rest on Videokarma.
 
yeah, thats an early one and clearly someone did some work to it. it actually looks a lot like some of the early RCA roundies. I'd be real tempted to knock on the door where you found it to see if the knobs and/or picture tube are laying about, waiting to go in the trash.
 
+ 1 on what everyone else says. Although, I have to wonder why it was trashed...those yellow caps look extremely new and its obvious it has been worked on very recently...maybe theres a toasted xfrmr somewhere, or maybe the picture tube was simply shot? It IS extremely clean for a tv, and that case is very restorable. I'd save it if I were you. Although if it were me, I'd snag the 5v4G first because I like coke bottles :D

http://www.earlytelevision.org/fada_tv30.html

Says it uses an RCA Chassis...
 
Not sure if this is the right protocol here, if not, please move this post.

I have a working model of that set in my collection. You can see it in the background of the picture in this previous thread of mine:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=300711

Please let me know if you would like to get rid of it, I am very interested. I could use it as parts set...or maybe even swap out the chassis that is in mine with yours.

Thanks,

Terry
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom