Mission Cyrus 780 bookshelf speakers don't work

poxymoronic

hi.

this is my first post/thread on this forum so i hope i'm posting in the correct place and hopefully somebody can give me some advice.
i haven't used my hifi for about 10 years or so and decided to set it up again recently.

it consists of:
mission cyrus 2 integrated amplifier
philips cd 850-mkII cd player
mission cyrus 780 bookshelf speakers
cable talk talk 3.1 bi-wire speaker cable
cambridge audio interconnects

everything still looks in great condition which i'm very proud of but my speakers are in trouble. the woofer does not work on one speaker and the tweeter does not work on the other. as its been so long since i used the system at first i thought i had wired the speakers incorrectly or something but that is not the case and it now seems that there is something wrong with the speakers. i opened them up and although i know nothing about the workings of speakers everything looks in order and theres no sign of any obvious damage inside or out. the broken woofer and its connections look the exact same as the working woofer (i haven't opened the tweeter yet).

can anybody advise me where to start looking for a problem/damage? can speakers just stop working after not being used for so long? is there a way to test the various components of the speakers?

any help would be very much appreciated as i would really love to have the system working again.

thanks.

I would try to measure the woofer with a meter, or try hooking it up after pulling it from the cabinet. Same with the non working tweeter. I think I have some drivers from that speaker.
John

The 780 's had problems with the woofers going bad, and an improved woofer was made available. You could (up until at least a couple of years ago) get replacements from Mission. I had the same problem with mine. The woofers are not cheap through Mission, but worth the expense. A great little speaker, i have had mine for years, and mine are going nowhere.:music:

What I would do:
first switch the speaker wire making the left speaker the right one. Is the problem the same?
Next try swaping the non working tweeter for the working one. Does it work? Could be something is wrong with the crossover.
Do the same for the woofer.
Tell us your results.

Last edited:
I used to sell those and had a pair recently. Nice speakers, would have kept that pair if they had been Rosewood.

This is really basic and I know you probably checked but sometimes it caught out some of our customers: the speakers are bi-wireable and need a wire (that sometimes goes astray) to bridge between the two red terminals and two black terminals on each side if you are just running a single wire. Without it only one driver will work on each speaker. I hope for your sake it was only that!

Back
Top Bottom