AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

Would this design work as a vertical MTM? I'm thinking a 7-7.5" wide baffle with mid/bass drivers centered and tweeter offset. Obviously this means that the close driver spacing would no longer exist between the two woofers but in a vertical MTM this is usually more of a benefit than a hindrance. I'm also thinking of bumping the volume up to .75 ft2 with the same tuning. This provides a little more bass extension at the sacrifice of power handling but being an MTM design this is not quite as important as with the MT.

I already have a pair of DA135-8s so if this does not look like a good idea I will simply build the Mindignia as designed . . . BTW, what did you end up with for padding down the tweeter. I seem to remember you saying somewhere that you found the original too bright.

Thanks in advance for a great design.

Ack! Sorry I wasn't keeping up with this thread. I don't see any reason why the Incentria wouldn't work as a stand up MTM. I guess I could tip my center up and see what it sounds like. :D

I don't know about pumping up the volume that much. I'd have to run the numbers. If you've already done it then sally forth.

Thought you guys would like to hear:

Guy stopped by to pick up some AR2's I was selling and made a beeline right for Zilch's curved Indignia speakers. "WHOA! What Bowers and Wilkins monitors are these!?" :D

Zilch woulda been pleased as punch.

Another Pair Done...........

I finally finished the cabinets for these.

The cabinets have 1-1/4" MDF front baffles & 3/4" MDF sides. The baffle was finished in Rustoleum truck bed liner and I used Rustoleum American Accents Textured Stone (Mineral Brown) for the cabinet. Both finishes were then covered with two coats of Minwax Satin Polyurethane.

KI2 001.jpg

KI2 002.jpg

KI2 003.jpg

Hi,

I just received my crossover parts and I'm working on it now, but I can't seem to find any + or - marks on the components. Does it matter how you connect it, or are there no + and - sides.

Thanks,

Remon

All the crossover components are non-polar. Just stick 'em in there. If you want to be all artistic you can line them up so the labels are the same direction. :)

Hi,

After I soldered the crossover, I decided to test the speakers without the cabinet.
However the music sounded strange. First I thought that it was a fault in the crossover.
After a couple of minutes I felt the tweeter cone moving and the woofer didn't moved at all.
Then I realized that I had connected the tweeter to the woofer side.:bash:

Could this have damaged the tweeter?

It might if you really cranked it up. But if you just played it a bit at low volume it should be ok. You will know when you get it all together if it is bad. NHNF

The aluminum cone woofer pair arrived today and the first thing I did was pop them in their cabinets. Me likes. :yes:

For a speaker this size the bass sure has a good low/presence while the highs are soft and clear. :banana:

I'm giving them a finish on the weekend.

I'm having trouble finding a 1,5 inch tube for the bass port. The nearest size I could find was 36mm (1,41732283 inch). Is this port suitable and do I need to change the length of the tube?

If you want to keep the tuning the same, cut it back to about 7" (175mm) and you'll be close.

My pair is done.

Pics:

Attachments

• AKI_black_finish_1.jpg
    AKI_black_finish_1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 156
  • AKI_black_finish_3.jpg
    AKI_black_finish_3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 86
  • AKI_black_finish_2.jpg
    AKI_black_finish_2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 137
Nice Job! What do you think

I'll tel ya what I think. This little guys rock :banana: and they got plenty of bass to boot :thmbsp:

I already got one very enthusiastic request for a build from my closest friend who could not believe how much bass this little guys were rocking.

Keepers for sure. :yes:

SpecialDude, do you have a pair? If you don't go and make your self a pair. You'll love'em.

Last edited:
SpecialDude, do you have a pair? If you don't go and make your self a pair. You'll love'em.

RayW visited that summer of 2008 and brought his pair along. I started my plot to have him build me a pair right then. ;) I've listened to them nearly every day since I got them.

office20110227a.jpg

Anybody try using Karma Indignia Drivers in 2.5 Way?

I've heard the Indignia, and while it's great for the money, the bass sounds looser to me than I would like (I prefer sealed bass=tighter).

I have a pair of 8" (sens=87dB) sealed boxes that double as stands for the Indignias(which I'll run sealed):
These 1 cubic foot boxes have a sealed box Q of 0.707 and an F3 of 48Hz (meaning they are tighter and still have more low bass than the indignias).

Anybody try this before?

I plan on using a coil on the woofer, and rolling off the Indignias at some point maybe getting some baffle-step correction in the process.

Any advice?

-Chas
I will miss Zilch

Back
Top Bottom