Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Yamaha

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
AK Member

Well, my CR-1040 was dropped off, and I do mean "Dropped", by Fed Ex. Damaged in shipping, the case was almost cracked in two. Thank goodness the seller provided insurance. What I would rather have is a CR-2020 which if I'm correct uses discreet components instead of darlington power packs. The extra power would be nice as well.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 PM
AK Member

Insurance? HA! tis to laugh. Oh well. Replaced blown fuse and now to find a replacement for D701 (open).
Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
minor leaguer

CR2020 right channel cutting off

I was searching AK for some tips on repairing a channel problem on my CR 2020 when this thread came up. I hope this is where I should ask this (seems like it should be the place):

The right channel of my CR 2020 cuts off during play.
When in this cut-off mode if I turn the balance all the way to the right and spike the volume a few notches the channel comes back ... certainly not a very good idea, I know.
There isn't any scratching noise when adjusting the balance or volume normally ... it's just the channel dropping off.
I had the unit professionally cleaned and restored two years ago , prior to that I had a little scratching , both right and left, in the channels, but the tech. fixed me up nice.... until recently.
Not sure what to do at this point. Will Deoxit/Deoxit Gold be of any use on this or does it sound like a failing component and not just contact issues?
I should mention I am fairly in the dark once the cover comes off, really don't have any idea what to look for ....hence the need for a pro in the past.
Anyway, thanks in advance,
Pat
Old 12-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Aim High !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat5067 View Post
I was searching AK for some tips on repairing a channel problem on my CR 2020 when this thread came up. I hope this is where I should ask this (seems like it should be the place):

The right channel of my CR 2020 cuts off during play.
When in this cut-off mode if I turn the balance all the way to the right and spike the volume a few notches the channel comes back ... certainly not a very good idea, I know.
There isn't any scratching noise when adjusting the balance or volume normally ... it's just the channel dropping off.
I had the unit professionally cleaned and restored two years ago , prior to that I had a little scratching , both right and left, in the channels, but the tech. fixed me up nice.... until recently.
Not sure what to do at this point. Will Deoxit/Deoxit Gold be of any use on this or does it sound like a failing component and not just contact issues?
I should mention I am fairly in the dark once the cover comes off, really don't have any idea what to look for ....hence the need for a pro in the past.
Anyway, thanks in advance,
Pat
Welcome to AK..Should have started your own thread on this subject..But yes deoxit on the volume/balance control may very well do the trick.The reciever could probably use some deoxit on all the switches and controls.The comment about spiking the volume also raises and eyebrow..Protect relay contacts.Some have tried cleaning the contacts with IMO short time sucess.Best solution is replacing the relay if indeed it is the relay contacts.

Keep it pithy!
RET USAF 1978-1998

"In Artie we trust"-- PPP
Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM
minor leaguer

(started new thread)

Last edited by pat5067; 12-17-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM
AK Member

Well today is my first day on AK so thanks for being out here. I have the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 and the BD-A1000 matching universal player. It has been more then 10 years since I bought a receiver which was an Onkyo AVR. Lots of software functions in this current generation. I am running Direct TV on AV1 input via HDMI, and the Bluray player on AV2 in via HDMI. I have the HDMI control pass through turned off on everything. The AV1 HDMI out goes to a Panasonic 65" VT25 3D plasma into it's AV1 in with the ARC feature. Sometimes the system seems to get into a state where I was last using the phono input or SACD when it was shutdown and if I turn on the high def Sat. receiver and TV from the Sat. remote and then turn the AVR on when I switch to AV1 I get the picture to pass through to the TV but the sound wants to play from the TV speakers only. If I cycle the power the AVR with AV1 as the last source the sound comes up in 5.1 mode. Would this be a setup issue or a software issue?

I am really happy overall with the A1000 seems very quiet and clean and can be quite stunning with a real good SACD or high quality LP. The upscaling of my 480 local broadcasters to 1080p is better but the peoples still have too large of heads without the rest of the detail.

Thanks again. I live kind of in the boonies and we don't have any real audio shops that I know of.

Last edited by Jeff Ronan; 01-24-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
YamaHoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ronan View Post
Well today is my first day on AK so thanks for being out here. I have the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 and the BD-A1000 matching universal player. It has been more then 10 years since I bought a receiver which was an Onkyo AVR. Lots of software functions in this current generation. I am running Direct TV on AV1 input via HDMI, and the Bluray player on AV2 in via HDMI. I have the HDMI control pass through turned off on everything. The AV1 HDMI out goes to a Panasonic 65" VT25 3D plasma into it's AV1 in with the ARC feature. Sometimes the system seems to get into a state where I was last using the phono input or SACD when it was shutdown and if I turn on the high def Sat. receiver and TV from the Sat. remote and then turn the AVR on when I switch to AV1 I get the picture to pass through to the TV but the sound wants to play from the TV speakers only. If I cycle the power the AVR with AV1 as the last source the sound comes up in 5.1 mode. Would this be a setup issue or a software issue?

I am really happy overall with the A1000 seems very quiet and clean and can be quite stunning with a real good SACD or high quality LP. The upscaling of my 480 local broadcasters to 1080p is better but the peoples still have too large of heads without the rest of the detail.

Thanks again. I live kind of in the boonies and we don't have any real audio shops that I know of.
Welcome to AK. However, this is a welcome thread for the Yamaha forum when it was newly created on AudioKarma. You will get more traction on your question if you repost this as a new thread in the Yamaha forum.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
AK Member

I am a new member with an old 1983 Yamaha R300 receiver. I would appreciate any posts about this model. My only problem is that the function switch screw came loose and disappeared years ago. I have made do with bits of cardboard wedged between the switch and the front panel. I still have the allen wrench.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 AM
AK Member

Need help finding someone to work on a Yammie B-1 power amp. Went into protection mode....=0(
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 PM
AK Member

Hello to all. My first Yamaha gear was the NS 800 intergrated amp along with the NS 800 tuner back in the mid 80's. Still have the tuner. My first pair of NS 200ma speakers were bought home about mid 87 and I still have them along with a 2nd pair. I love the sound of these spkrs and have rebuilt the first pair using various yamaha ns drivers that I have been able to find and that fit. Not orignal but I like them and will never sell / give them away. I just set up my NS 670 over the past wkend and was suprised by the sound they produce as i had never been around this model before. Much flater/ warmer sound for sure. Not at all like my 200m or the 200ma units. I think I will end up enjoying them over time though.
Cal Audio Tercet
Yamaha NS 670 NS 200m NS 200ma NS 500m
ADS L1290
Audiokarma
Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 AM
AK Member

Need bulbs with sockets for my CR-840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Yes, the forum now is open for new threads and posts.
Can't seem to find them!
I want to keep it as stock as possible.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvil2k View Post
Can't seem to find them!
I want to keep it as stock as possible.
If you mean the ones in the white plastic twistlok holders I believe Dave (dgwojo) has them. If not get bare lead 14V 85mA T1-1/4 size bulbs and thread them into the holders after you remove the old bulbs.

"I shall pass through this world but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do, let me do it now; let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 PM
AK Member

I was able to get the NS 670 spkrs dialed in over the weekend and am amazed at how much I like the sound they produce. I have 3 CD's that I use as test CD's tor spkrs. I always play these first and if I dont like what I hear during this test then good bye spkr. They are by Pink Floyd: Dark Side of The Moon, and Animals. The 3rd CD is by Alan parsons: Turn of a friendly card. All 3 are very hard on spkrs as far as reproduction goes and the NS 670 passed with flying colors after a bit of toeing in and adjustments being made to the volume controls on each spkr. Im hooked . Keepers for sure.
Cal Audio Tercet
Yamaha NS 670 NS 200m NS 200ma NS 500m
ADS L1290
Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 AM
AK Member

Took me about a month to dial in my NS690s, about the same for my NS-670s.

"I shall pass through this world but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do, let me do it now; let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 PM
AK Member

Yamaha HTR 5730 receiver low volume issue

OK, I generally like Yamaha receivers and have owned a few, but I've got a serious issue with this one. It was a thrift store score, so I don't know if it has a problem, and also, I know this is a low end surround receiver, but. . this is, I think the least powerful receiver I've ever heard, and 100 watts is an insane joke. I've had 20 watt receivers that stomp this one. And I'm not just talking about powering a full surround system. It's just as weak in stereo mode. I know it's set up right, too, because I'm very surround sound savvy. I've seen comments on the web questioning the power of this receiver, but they don't seem to really definitively nail this receiver as being really weak. Anybody out there have any experience with these. Just checking because the one I have may just be broken. Sound is clear, but there is just an incredible lack of volume. Any info appreciated.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread