• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC does not get much respect

Still have my TD-V66 JVC deck I bought back in 87.
Just needs a pointer knob for the slider control.
http://www.hifivault.com/JVC/TD-V66

PANA0051.jpg


PANA0053.jpg


PANA0052.jpg
 
I remember when I bought my first TT back in the late '70s that the salesman, a buddy as well, told me that JVC made some of the better ones. All the stores at the time had plenty of junk JVC on the shelves at the time, so I thought he was wacked. No way was I going to have a JVC piece in my system! I found out years later that he was right, not only did they make some outstanding TT's under their own name, but made some outstanding TT's for other manufacturers such as Denon.
 
I pulled the trigger early July for a JVC QL-Y7 TT - it gets used a couple times a week on average and so far I'm very happy with it.
 
Depends on where u look, a installer around here has put in all JVC components in the front end of his PA installs .
In one school location i noticed a multi disc changer, tuner and double cassette deck in the rack in the main office
only the speaker switcher and power amp was a different make.
I still see alot of JVC in Pro installs and in broadcast applications
 
I have a "vintage" JVC 6 disc CDP ( XL-M505 I think) that is tough as nails and sounds as good as decks costing twice as much. The problem with JVC (Japan Victor Company) is they made some real trash along with some very nice pieces. :yes:

I can't argue with you there, but they will have my ultimate respect for one product alone:

Super Vinyl

For all of those people who know about Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, you will understand how important Super Vinyl was for their high fidelity pressings. Wear life is at least 5 times longer than regular virgin vinyl, surface noise can be mostly removed by simply washing (actually washing) the record, and they can recover from just about any warp that occurs (no memory). Incredible stuff-I wished that they still made it, but I would venture to guess that is was probably not environmentally friendly to make....


-Jason
 
I like JVC boomboxes from the 1980s and early 1990s and have several, as well as a few JVC tape decks. As much as I like them though, my experience has been that some of their stuff isn't always reliable. My RC-X310 CD boombox purchased new in 1993 started having issues playing CDs shortly after I bought it. After it was fixed under warranty, it was fine and has been ever since. I have a 1986 vintage PC-30 boombox I use at work, which I bought used. I fixed it up and got everything working, but I've had it apart 7 or 8 times since for various issues...quite a lot even for something that old. Had an issue with a low end JVC boombox-the tape deck was dead due to a manufacturing defect. One trace was completely ripped up on a circuit board and severed due to improper component installation. On the other hand, I have a KD-D30 tape deck that's nearly 30 years old and looks like it's never been apart and still works fine.
 
My one and only piece of JVC gear is a FX-333 tuner. I picked it up at a Circuit City store in Jacksonville Fl back when I was in the Navy, must have been 88 or 89. Apart from replacing the bulbs for the panel backlight it has worked flawlessly since I've had it. As for the bulbs.. well I kinda dropped the tuner during the move to the house I live in now, and apparently they are very fragile... That was 10 years ago next month...
 
I now have 2 JVC's in my stable.

JA-S5G Amplifier $40
QL-50 TTable with SME 3009 S2 tonearm with Ortofon MC20, $80
 
???

Japan Victor Corp. and Matsushita Corp. (Panasonic/Technics parent) are completely different companies, I thought. :scratch2:

<BTW, Chris, congrats on the Kenwood 'Galaxy Commander' win earlier today on ebay - I was watching that one and considering it based on your previous comments on that model...>

I have to second all the good words for the JR-Sxxx series receivers. I've also got an interesting tuner, the FX-1100, that has a handy digital dBf display that I'm using on my workbench to measure FM signal strength when comparing tuners and receivers... :thmbsp:

I know Matsushita bought them but don't know when. JVC also merged with Kenwood in 2007. As far as my experience with JVC, I have a RX-150v I just acquired and really like it. Nice clean power.:thmbsp::music:
 
I had a few JVC pieces back in the 80s and 90s. In 1992 I bought one their TOTL computer controlled rcvr that was a few years old at the time - the R-X500. I believe it was manufactured starting around 1985. This is a beast of a receiver weighing in at around 30lbs. I believe it was rated at around 90wpc. It has a massive copper-clad transformer, because as a Super Class A amp it needed to handle high current, and thus generated a lot of heat.

I still have that rcvr and recently brought it out of storage to add to my accumulating vintage collection. It needed a bit of work on the PS, which I had a local tech do. Works and sounds great now.

I have always been partial to JVC gear, more because it was always more affordable for me at the time, and seemed to represent good value for the money.
 
Back
Top Bottom