AK.M.A.F.C.R.S. strikes while the iron is HOT!!!

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
The AK Mid Atlantic FISHER CONSOLE Rescue Squad(AK.M.A.F.C.R.S.) struck a TWO FER in DC and Baltimore.

Item 1. a 1950 FISHER CORONET(R-3 Chassis) in the GEORGIAN Cabinet with the X-4 Dynamic Expander. Red and I hauled it downstairs from 2nd story room. Very good shape for 61 years old.

ITEM 2. BugleGirl meanwhile was in Baltimore getting one hell of a deal on a PRISTINE 1960 Premiere (TA-600) in Provincial.

Afterwards we all met at Buglegirls to offload the goodies. The only pics I got are of the chassis plate on the R-3 and the Tube Charts. Buglegirl will have to come up with other pics.

The Coronet needs new cords at least and a recap. And a HEAVY Vacuuming!!!!!! But it did have the correct Jensen H-510 Doublehump speaker (DROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!).

Red is having 2nd thoughts on getting rid of his Premiere, I think! He was all over that like a kid on an ice cream cone on a HOT DAY! Luckily he followed me to Fran's and the 3 of us hauled everything inside and then Buglegirl showed us the stash! I won't say what's in it, but it would have McShane chomping at the bit!

Thanks Fran and Carter for the FUN DAY!

Larry

Hiya,

Yes it was a long and fun day. There was ZERO chance I could pull this off without Larry's And Carter's helps. Thanks so much!!!

Carter it was great meeting you and I hope my "Collection" did not freak you out too much. I have a lot of stuff you see and its suppose to be on 4 floors but at the moment its all crammed on one floor.

So yes I am crazy to be taking in consoles I suppose.

Anyhow I only have shots from the ad's at the moment but they give some idea what I have here.

5O05P25X33m33oe3l1bbl69e1dca9684d140e.jpg 5O25X55R63m53o43lebbl07474739e1b416e0.jpg 5V05U25R03kc3m33lcbblbe11d16fa8bd119e.jpg 5V55P65S03k03pe3lebbl6e421790549615e4.jpg 5T65Q35R33n73m53ocbbab3e182f9de78109e.jpg 5W35P05R03ne3mc3l3bba87c702eac93015de.jpg

Frannie

Last edited:
The console with the TA-600 is one of my favorite looking consoles of all time! I'm glad you all got to save them, and hopefully restore them to many more decades of useful service.

Hopefully the wagon will serve as a Fisher Console Rescue Vehicle soon.

Thanks guys. It really was a TEAM EFFORT today. The Premiere popped up on CL literally at the last minute last night, and Fran jumped right on it. We had planned originally to all go to the Coronet and get that but time constraints with getting the premiere dictated that we split up. Knowing the Coronet was heavy as hell, and on the 2nd floor, Carter and I headed there and Fran hightailed it to the Premiere.

Turns out that the Coronet chassis in Fran's is 174 #'s lower than my '51 Coronet. So she gets the honor of having the oldest "CORONET" Now. Carter has the oldest console made by any of Avery Fisher's Corporations, of the group here I believe.

Both pieces were bought from the families of the original owners, so they are both pretty much unmolested.

I'm finally tired enough to get some sleep.

Larry

That was so much fun. The first Fisher console double play and a great team effort. I think we may have willed MAFCRS into existance. Larry, are you really going to have a magnetic sign made up for your truck? The email chatter between Frannie, Larry and myself takes up the entire first page of my inbox.

I was glad to have a chance to finally meet Frannie and see the 'storage area' that Larry had cryptically referred to. Holy cow! Her collection makes my mine look positively sane by comparison. The addition of two more Fisher consoles did provide some daunting decorating challenges. Larry and I helped her try several configurations before finding one that sort of worked. Frannie is certainly a committed collector and it was great getting to know her.

She probably saved my marriage by getting these two consoles. Just by chance I spotted the Coronet on Craigslist within a few hours of it being posted. After making an offer I immediately emailed Larry to see if I could get his help moving it. I was relieved when I learned that Frannie was also interested, especially when I found out that it was also being offered on eBay. I figured that would result in a bidding war and gratefully bowed out at that point.

Seeing that beautiful Premiere did trigger some pangs of regret. It is just so perfectly orginial and felt so familiar (looking EXACTLY like my old one) that it was hard for me to believe that I actually got rid of mine. I had to keep reminding myself that I sacrificed it to make room for one of only two known Philharmonic Radio Co. consoles and that my wife has was very happy with my decision.

Frannie: I don't think I remembered to tell you that while Larry and I were talking with the Coronet's owner I mentioned that his grandmother would likely have purchased it at Campbell's Music in downtown DC. He wrote that down and seemed to indicate that he remembered seeing something from them among his grandmother's files and that he would check it out for you. You might want to follow up on that. It would be very cool to have the original paperwork for a '50 Coronet.

The Coronet came from a neighborhood right next to Glen Echo Park. The seller and I reminisced about going there as little boys in the 60s. He said he had a paper route and would take papers to the ride operators. It was fun talking with him about his memories of listening to his grandmother's Fisher. I asked him about the tuning eye and he didn't remember it ever working. So I think it will need a new 6E5.

Congratulations Frannie!

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't available to help the squad on this one.
I was busy crossing a line: moving stuff into a storage unit!...That I probably wouldn't need were it not for this hobby...
I did manage to sneak off to an estate sale Friday. Met a guy with a 1960 Coronet that's been in his family since new. Expect to see him here looking for advice in the near future - I've got him convinced that it's worth restoring.

Way to go guys.:thmbsp:

Not bad for $125, loaned a friend our van to use for her greyhound rescue operation, she brought it back for me from LA. Other than her getting into a fender bender on the way home, it was awesome!

Attachments

• 30-A.jpg
    30-A.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 610-ST chassis tuner preamp.jpg
    610-ST chassis tuner preamp.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 15
  • tuner turntable.jpg
    tuner turntable.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 16
  • tuner.jpg
    tuner.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 16
it's great that you guys have the ability to sniff out these gems & have the space & wherewithal to save these things. I cringe just thinking how many over the decades got junked, likely happening still today. I can't participate in such adventures due to space constraints:( but that's just less for my surviving family to deal with when i croak. They'll likely have their hands full enough as it is. Keep on saving history! I wish we were closer geographically so as to participate in these adventures...:thumbsup: just noticed the timeline on this thread. Dumbass me fell right in along with Mr. Nal!:rflmao:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom