EPI 100 (v?)

colinbianchi

So today I found a pair of EPI 100's that I picked up for $20. I went home and tried to find some information about them, but I could hardly find anything about just plain 100's, I could find plenty about 100v's and I'm just curious what the difference between the two are and what you guys know about EPI 100's. Also they need to be re-foamed so if you guys know any good kits I could pick up I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I have a pair of those. In the 70s when I bought them, they were about the best thing in my price range that matched the not very high wattage stereo receiver I matched them up with. By best, they had the flattest response over their range. foam went bad on them after about 15 years.

EPI 100 Lineage

The original EPI 100's were known as the M100's and were finished in walnut with a rheostat control for the tweeter level and sported rubber surrounds on the 8" woofer. This was followed by a M100 in a vinyl clad cabinet at a slightly lower retail price point.(Interestingly, they produced a M90 which was the same unit but sold to a different channel of distribution). They then followed this with the 100W and 100V models which dropped the rheostat, went to foam surrounds and kept the walnut and vinyl cabinets. These were then replaced with a new tweeter - the phenolic inverted dome "Airspring Tweeter" which was the first tweeter to use ferrofluid to dampen and improve power handling - (this unit had leads 180 degrees apart and taped down to the surface with small round paper dots) This faceplate was black plastic with 3 gold rings and also known as the EPI 100. It was available in walnut or vinyl veneer and labeled on the back panel as 100W or 100V ). Note: Be careful if buying a set of these as the glue holding the magnet and faceplate with any sudden force( dropping the speaker,poorly packed units tend to shear off) The original "air spring" tweeter was made with a masonite 5" round mounting plate. The tweeter was a paper inverted dome bonded to a cloth spider/ surround and the leads where roughly parallel to each other and glued down to masonite surface. The last version was the A100 that sported a "new" airspring tweeter on a slightly smaller in diameter mounting plate with a single circular red ring with EPI embossed in the surface. This version still used a phenolic inverted dome in ferrofluid but the faceplate screwed onto the magnet with 3 screws for an easier build and repair The magnet went from square to round if I remember correctly. The 8 " long throw woofer (foam surrounds) was retained but used 4 screws as opposed to 6. Sadly, the A100 was discontinued in 1982 after Harmon acquired EPI from Penril Corp and the classic 2 way New England speaker was history. Production ran from 1967-1982.:no:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tgz
Have a pair I just finished putting new surrounds on from Simply Speakers, and replaced the cap too. 33 years ago they sounded great, now my ears are shot and they only sound ok now.

IMO they are definitely worth refoaming. It only costs about $25 if you do it yourself. Recapping them is a good idea too. I just did it with new binding posts and upgraded wiring for about $18 each.

I have experience with a tweeter that came unglued and fell inside the speaker. My theory is that, in addition to the glue getting old, this happens more in the speakers that have been stored in garages and attics through the years. The extreme temperatures are harder on the glue than speakers that have been stored in climate controlled comfort through the years.

There is no accounting for slamming them on the ground though. If this happens, all bets are off.

Great speakers though. Refurbished, they perform well beyond what the market says their value is.

As everyone here has mentioned the 100v's are a great speaker set. Epicure in general was a very innovative company for the time and produced some of the best products in my opinion. I own several Epicure pieces including the same speakers you have, trust me when I say just refoam, recap, and enjoy. I'd match the cap's if possible as a few buddies of mine all agree that it's the way to go. Binding post upgrade's are a must for me, the 6 way binding posts are ideal in my book and look great. Please post some pics when you get a chance, always enjoy seeing them.

Congrats on the score

I just picked up a pair of these today. If the cabs were walnut veneer I would consider re-foaming but since the are the vinyl clad I'm not so sure. :scratch2:

Is the vinyl in good shape? A refoam and recap is pretty easy and inexpensive. If you like the way they sound you could always reveneer them or put the drivers into other cabinets. If you do keep them I'd recommend replacing the speaker posts as well. Here is link to my current EPI 100 redo.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=460709

I just picked up a pair of these today. If the cabs were walnut veneer I would consider re-foaming but since the are the vinyl clad I'm not so sure. :scratch2:

I have a pair of Epicure Model Ten's - the export model of the 100V's that I acquired. Refoamed and recapped them. Very good speakers for their size and complexity.

I have the 100V's, refoamed them with the kit from Simply Speakers, very easy to do and moron proof instructions, replaced the cap, internal wires and inputs. They are connected to a Luxman R-404 receiver at the moment. They are great sounding speakers for very little money. I know you will enjoy yours!

I have a pair of EPI A100's thanks to the recommendations here in AK. How do they compare to the earlier models? I see that its frequency response isn't as wide as the original 100V/W's.

Back
Top Bottom