Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Business and Vendor Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by withanx View Post
That's a very fair price, count me in on one in the coming weeks.

Could it be made cheaper if it was always on when plugged in, and off when not?
Or with an on/off switch on the cord?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
AK Member

The switch adds very little to the cost and is not difficult to install.

It's not mass produced, but it is simpler in the long run to have a standard assembly.

I bought about 75 motors. My only regret is that they are not reversible. If I need more motors I will look at reversible ones, but they will be more expensive.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
AK Member

Does the playing surface of the record come in contact with the turntable platter at all?

For dirtier thrift-store records, I'd be interested in using this primarily to dry records following a scrub by hand or pass through a Spin-Clean. If I place a record that is wet on both sides on the turntable, will it leave behind water on the turntable surface to be picked up by the dry side when I flip it over, or does the turntable hold the record suspended so that there's no contact between the grooves and the platter?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodsonic View Post
Does the playing surface of the record come in contact with the turntable platter at all?

For dirtier thrift-store records, I'd be interested in using this primarily to dry records following a scrub by hand or pass through a Spin-Clean. If I place a record that is wet on both sides on the turntable, will it leave behind water on the turntable surface to be picked up by the dry side when I flip it over, or does the turntable hold the record suspended so that there's no contact between the grooves and the platter?
The record is held off the platter by four vinyl adhesive "feet".
These are easily removed, replaced, supplemented, etc. I spent several months researching parts, including mats, but found this to be a good solution.

I keep a microfiber or terry cloth handy to wipe the table dry between sides. the record has to touch something.

If you want to experiment, you could try supporting the record just under the label. For a few dollars you can get the vinyl feet at Lowes or Staples.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
AK Member

I've been itching to get something to supplement my spinclean...
That reminds me I need to purchase a paint pad...and some more micro-fiber towels.
I'm going to follow your progress here and would love for you (and also your early adopters)....to keep us posted!

Audiokarma
Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1138 View Post
If you want to experiment, you could try supporting the record just under the label. For a few dollars you can get the vinyl feet at Lowes or Staples.
I like it.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Honey Boo Boob

As a new owner I can safely say the "Magician" is very simple and works as it should.There are many tweaks that could be done but the units ability to clean vinyl is extremely effective as is.The described "feet" work well in keeping the record away from a "dirty" platter.The more I use it the more I appreciate its basic design.I will make a formal review once I have more test time in. So far I'm very pleased and haven't encountered any performance issues.Anyone interested in a spin clean?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM
AK Member

Bring on the tweaks.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
AK Member

Are these still available ?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
AK Member

Yep, although I'm expecting parts tomorrow. I'll have several this weekend. I am including a second wand with a plush (MoFi) pad. Doesn't cost me much and it gives you a choice.

Early buyers who want one should pester me. I don't think there should be a penalty for being an early adopter.

I've had some interesting results trying to resurrect some old records. I tried Windex on some crackly records that did not clean up with the usual solution. I rinsed and vacuumed with distilled water. One of three records responded remarkably to this treatment. The other two had visible scarring from mistreatment. One was a green label Columbia from around 1950. It is in the process of digital declicking. It's remarkably undistorted.

I will continue to assert that the most dramatic improvement made by a vacuum system is improving clarity -- even if it fails to remove all the ticks and pops. All of my records are old, and about half are from garage sales. Some are simply damaged and will have clicks.
Audiokarma
Old 05-05-2012, 03:10 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatster View Post
As a new owner I can safely say the "Magician" is very simple and works as it should.There are many tweaks that could be done but the units ability to clean vinyl is extremely effective as is.The described "feet" work well in keeping the record away from a "dirty" platter.The more I use it the more I appreciate its basic design.I will make a formal review once I have more test time in. So far I'm very pleased and haven't encountered any performance issues.Anyone interested in a spin clean?
Phatster,

Have you had a chance to compare the two or try the Spin Clean & Magician together? Would love to hear your impressions.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Honey Boo Boob

I have not fully tested the Magician due to copious amount of grass in my yard...if I could afford the fence I would get some goats!I currently use the Magician and nothing else,I do use steam cleaning if record has mold or mildew.I am trying various cleaning solutions as we speak.Thus far I'm sold on this product....the simplicity makes it rock solid and you can think of cool alterations {I just added a sippy cup holder!}
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
AK Member

I've been using this magic vac for a few months now. While it works wonders on a batch of not well taken care of records I picked up, what it does for my collection of mostly babied stuff is just as good. Like JS said the clarity goes up a notch or two. After I'd vacuumed a few "clean" albums I wondered if I was imagining the difference. So I picked an album out, put it on the TT, swiped it with a CF dry brush and played one side. Then I took it to the Magician for a vacuum session and played it again. The difference was not subtle to me, it was like having a new LP. Not as much change on some other LPs, but still noticeable. Vacuum cleaning rules and this critter is a good way to enter without a big expense.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Honey Boo Boob

I totally agree with these sentiments! I have now cleaned approximately 150 lp's and the difference is definitely realized on older vinyl in my opinion....I'm very excited that this system does not sacrifice quality due to lower price.I'm still working with different cleaning solutions....on my trainwreck vinyl steam cleaning does offer additional benefits.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Dysthymic

Oh just brilliant. Great timing on finding this thread after I just plunked down cash for a Nitty Gritty (while gritting my teeth on doing so). *Sigh*. Hope your magic vac is a great success.
Audiokarma