AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

Nevermind... Purchased a set of B&W DS3. Sending the stuff back to PE. The DS3 will probably voice better to the 804s and have Mono and DI-pole capabilities at the flip of a switch. I can use the monopole for multichannel SACDs Concert Videos, etc. and the DI-Pole for movies. I'll use my 602s for the rear two channels that also voice closely with the fronts using the same Kevlar Midrange and Nautilus tweets as the fronts. Project did seem like a good idea at the time. Just nothing that will work well for me where I want to put them. Not a good side surround enclosure.

PE Knock-down cabinets

I was flipping through the new PE catalog and saw that they were now selling unfinished 1/2" thick 7-ply birch, pre-cut, unassembled knock-down speaker cabs.

They don't have a .375 cu-ft model, but they do have a .315 cu-ft model on sale for $25. It's about the same height, a little wider, and shallower than the PE premade cabs (13 15/16 x 9 3/16 x 6"), so the Indignia speaker layout would fit on the baffle, although the porting will probably require more creative routing to squeeze it into the cab. For the additional price of some wood glue and some stain, this might be a very economical alternative for some folks.

(PE P/N 300-7048: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-7048&FTR=300-7048)

How would the change in internal volume (from .375 cu-ft to .315 cu-ft) affect the port length, or would itn not appreciably change anything?

Last edited:
Going with the same port length will raise the tuning to about 40Hz (from 37) and raise the F3 from 46Hz to 49Hz. It will also raise the Q hump above resonance a bit. It might be enough to notice in a bigger room. In a smaller room where you'll get more room gain it'll be pretty close to the original.

I would run it sealed with that size cabinet. you'd lose a little power handling and a bit of bass, but they still work quite well sealed.

Last edited:
Going to build another pair.

A pair of H H Scott S-14 speakers were available on Craigs List last week for $10, so I bought them. They are almost exactly the right displacement for a pair of Indignia's (.35 cu') and lots of the crossover parts were already on hand. Seemed like a slam dunk.

Instead of filling the holes in the baffles and cutting new ones, it seemed better to just replace the baffles. Here's a couple pics of where they are today. Should be finished in a couple weeks. Enough walnut burl veneer is also on hand to finish a receiver to match them, Don't know if it will be the Pioneer SX 737 or the Sansui 331.

The Indignia layout was just lowered 1 inch to fit the Scott grilles, but the port needed to be moved because of the brace across the center. Should make another nice little give away system for someone.

Attachments

• anindig04.jpg
    anindig04.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 57
  • anindig03.jpg
    anindig03.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 72
  • anindig02.jpg
    anindig02.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 57
  • anindig01.jpg
    anindig01.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 64
Honestly, I would have left those Scott speakers alone. There can't be many of those left, and it would be easier to get a pair of Indignias, from an availability standpoint. :yes:

Honestly, I would have left those Scott speakers alone. There can't be many of those left, and it would be easier to get a pair of Indignias, from an availability standpoint. :yes:

These Scott speakers had been on CL for some time, they kept getting cheaper, and the next stop was obviously the trash. Seems like having the cabinets sing again, and so much sweeter with the Indignia in them, might be a good thing. And the sale of the drivers will keep several other pairs of S-14's working for those who are looking for those hard to find parts.

Seems like a much better fate than being part of a landfill. And did you ever hear a pair of S-14's?

These Scott speakers had been on CL for some time, they kept getting cheaper, and the next stop was obviously the trash. Seems like having the cabinets sing again, and so much sweeter with the Indignia in them, might be a good thing. And the sale of the drivers will keep several other pairs of S-14's working for those who are looking for those hard to find parts.

Seems like a much better fate than being part of a landfill. And did you ever hear a pair of S-14's?

it's not like the Scott speakers are incredibly renowned or sought after...better to repurpose them than see them in the land fill....

now, if you had done this to a set of AR7 speakers, dynaco A10's or some EPI M50's or something, then words may have to be exchanged ;)

I can see you doing a beautiful job on those boxes, Jack.
:thmbsp:

it's not like the Scott speakers are incredibly renowned or sought after...better to repurpose them than see them in the land fill....

now, if you had done this to a set of AR7 speakers, dynaco A10's or some EPI M50's or something, then words may have to be exchanged ;)

There are lots of speakers that I would never do that to. With all due respect to H H Scott, who did make some quite nice speakers, these ain't them!

I can see you doing a beautiful job on those boxes, Jack.
:thmbsp:

Thanks. I know they will sound much nicer.

If they were AR7s, EPI50s, LS5/3s, or any other small 2 way 70s speaker, I'd at least be tempted to indignify them.

Way to go Jack! I was looking around at all the small boxes that Zilch and I acquired for development purposes that I've just been stacking up to the roof. Seems like I best build up a bunch of Indignias. :yes:

Almost there

My latest pair of Indignias are almost done. Getting the grilles mounted is about the last step.

I did a Pioneer SX 737 in the same veneer as the speakers, so the system will probably stay together.

attachment.php

Attachments

• anindig07.jpg
    anindig07.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 485
  • anindig06.jpg
    anindig06.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 88
  • anindig05.jpg
    anindig05.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 99
Back