Pioneer PL71 Turntable

wtaylorbasil

What TT's do you folks have

I have a Pioneer PL71 and very happy with it.
I use a AT cartridge and it is good. However I have an ADC XLM, the tone of which I prefer. But with this cartridge fitted to the arm, the stylus is too close to the vinyl and touches the surface on the "Lifted-Up" position.
There is no way to adjust the arm height that I cab see.
Would anyone know of a solution.
At the moment if I want to use it, I have to remove the platter mat but I know this is not the way to play a vinyl.

Thanks for any help.
Regards

William

On my pl-71 you could change the arm height. There were two set screws in the collar that mounts the arm to the plinth.

Steve

Perhaps i am posting in the wrong place. another try.
I use a AT cartridge and it is good. However I have an ADC XLM, the tone of which I prefer. But with this cartridge fitted to the arm, the stylus is too close to the vinyl and touches the surface on the "Lifted-Up" position.
At the moment if I want to use it, I have to remove the platter mat but I know this is not the way to play a vinyl.

Thanks for any help.
Regards

William

Are you saying that the tonearm doesn't rise sufficiently for the stylus to clear the record when you raise it with the cuing lever?

Though the arm height isn't adjustable, the cuing height is (or should be). In other words, you can raise or lower the static height of the cuing platform so that it raises the arm higher or lower. What you want to achieve is a height where the cuing platform is about 1/8" (3mm) from contact with the tonearm when playing a record.

I looked at the owner's manual and service manual for the PL-71 and could find nothing about adjusting the arm elevator so I can't help you any further. Look for a small set screw somewhere on the arm elevator that looks likely. It'll be on the side somewhere. With luck, loosening it will allow you to raise the platform.

John

Aha!

John

"Aha" but!

The idea behind adjusting the arm height is to ensure that the arm is parallel to the surface of the record while it's playing. In other words, adjusting the arm height isn't the recommended solution to problems with the cuing height. That means that if making the arm parallel to the playing surface doesn't solve the cuing problem (or exacerbates it), you may still need to look at adjusting the cuing platform.

John

Yes but - if the cuing assembly is raised with the tonearm, adjusting the height should fix both parallel and cuing height issues.
Don't know if this applies to the pioneer table, but some have a cuing adjustment screw on top of the cuing bar with a rubber cap to access it. Sometimes you have to push down on the bar to turn the screw head. YMMV

Thanks for any help.
Regards

William

i have a pioneer turn table as well and like it very much ,its a pl-530 with at12xe cart sounds nice ,any pics of your setup??

Sony & Garrard

Sony is PS-X50 and Garrard 401 is awaiting a custom plinth with a Jelco 750L.
PL-71 is a good TT. Perhaps an ultra thin mat?

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Pioneer PL 71 Turntable

Thank you all for the help. A great Forum and great members.
I have adjusted the arm and the ADC XLM sound even better!!
I hope I have managed to upload the pics.

Regards

William

Attachments

• S2030002_5.JPG
    S2030002_5.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 18
  • S2030003-2.jpg
    S2030003-2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 19
  • S2030004-2.jpg
    S2030004-2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 16