Two Channeling With Zeus and Leo

Nice, looks like the watch dog was doing his job, WATCHING, bet nothing gets by his eye.:D

Oh yeah. Watching is one of Z's many talents.

7571402618_741579057e.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Question for you, what did you do for powering the lights? I'd love to add some lights to my set-up.

The IKEA dioder LED lights are great. If you don't have an IKEA store nearby, you can find them on ebay.

As always, thanks for all the additional comments and kind words.

Oh yeah. Watching is one of Z's many talents.

7571402618_741579057e.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The IKEA dioder LED lights are great. If you don't have an IKEA store nearby, you can find them on ebay.

As always, thanks for all the additional comments and kind words.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Also, I love Zeus. Cool dog.

Say hello to my little friend..

8789579088_15055c06f4_c.jpg

REL Stentor III arrived today. 121 lb beast of a subwoofer. Hopefully will be able to play around with it tonight.

Too nice man...

That sub is awesome looking. Definitely have to let us know how it blends with those towers. That Cary Preamp is literally the sexiest preamp I have ever seen if that is even appropriate to feel about audio gear. Congratulations on a beautiful setup. Hope to have mine looking that clean someday

peace,
Josh

Now we are talking about ! I think you had a B&W sub for a while right ? Are those Focus Audio light on bass ?

Ya know, I keep finding myself continuing to come back to your thread. I have been looking at many systems in this thread for a while and I have to honestly say that I am most impressed by your setup, especially with the new cabinet. I find myself wanting to model my system after yours. Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you sharing your beautiful system and for the inspiration it gives me :thmbsp:

That REL could double up as a side table, I imagine it doesn't move much even when thumping everything else? Could stick a lamp on there.. Some framed photos.. I could almost convince my wife to let me get one..

First impressions

Let me start by saying thanks for all the comments. It's always great to hear others opinions (good, bad or indifferent) on my stereo..

Did some initial set up last night. For those who care, the Stentor uses a downward firing 10" driver with a 300W amp.

8850281503_3ae11f83d7_c.jpg

This sub is really designed for stereo use as much as HT. REL markets their subs as "sub-bass systems," which basically means its meant to accentuate floor standing speakers with super low bass. The crossover settings are consequently impressive, allowing let you fine tune within 2-3hz all the way down to 22hz. Right now I have it set to C1 (46hz), but I'm still playing around with it.

8850359411_43a4eb02dd_b.jpg

Another cool feature about REL subs is that it allows for a Neutrik Speakon connector that goes directly into the amp's speaker terminals (mine is plugged into the unbalanced high input on the sub). The idea is that it takes on the same signal as the main speakers, ensuring the same sound of the bass from the speakers is carried forward to the sub. Is this legit? All I can say is the integration already seems far superior than when I had my HT's B&W sub in the mix.

8850902598_80ac38ba29_c.jpg

Dialing in this sub is going to take some time, but given I can already feel the impact of low bass that was always missing from my focus audio's (spec'd at 40 Hz - 25 kHz ± 3dB), it's been an impressive addition from the start. Plus, I love the aesthetics - it's so rock solid that I can put a plant or pictures on it and blend it in like another piece of furniture.

I'll add some more thoughts after I have a chance to really dial it in. As for Zeus, he could really care less..

8856370267_de87393d16_o.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic! I bet that sub will be a nice addition to your setup. Love the new Zeus pics.:thmbsp:

Wowza, my dream setup! Looking good there :D

Looks fantastic! I bet that sub will be a nice addition to your setup. Love the new Zeus pics.:thmbsp:

Again, thanks guys. Always appreciate the comments.

Spent a little time with the sub last night. Moved it out from the corner another couple of inches, lowered the volume a bit and left the crossover as is (46hz).

Started with Radiohead's Kid A on vinyl. Both "Everything in its Right Place" and "The National" have great bass lines, and the REL showed an added bit of depth that was previously missing. But the sub really started to shine when I played "Get Yourself High" by the Chemical Brothers (off Grooveshark via my Cary's DAC). Holy crap - my whole room was shaking. I was floored by how low the REL's 10" driver could go. The final coup de gras, however, was listening to Leo Fung's "The Drums of Jiangzhou" through Pure Music/iTunes. I could literally feel the impact of each drum beat and enjoyed a sense of 3 dimensionality that I didn't think was possible with my system.

I've still got some more dialing in to do with position, roll off and phase, but I'm already blown away by this sub. Good times indeed.

Mark my words, one day I will have a setup just like yours! :D I have been saving my pennies for that sweeeet Cary SP05 preamp, a better turntable, and some gorgeous speakers that take up a bit less real estate than my Dynastats. Again, you have set the bar high my friend and I just love your system to death. Thanks for sharing!

New digs..

Figured I'd update this thread with some picks of the new space. Still waiting on some furniture, but I've got the room dialed in for the time being..

15971947102_c7d5cb93a9_b.jpg

15769861120_a01cc2353e_b.jpg

15352652363_b9013c3a1a_b.jpg

15349995234_46ecba9970_b.jpg

15695437355_055d69b563_b.jpg

15693128531_0c159bb81e_b.jpg

15787003857_9615b8be49_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom