Fisher 610 1958 Provincial/Cherry

Omegaman

Ultra Super Member
Subscriber
Fisher 610 1959 Provincial/Cherry

No one else was interested in this cruddy, old, geriatric electronics, Mid-Century Provincial Fisher 610 with matching speaker with the 30-A amp, so I got it

Nice cherry finish but the style is an acquired taste

It had a complete complement of Fisher 7189 tubes, I expected EL84's but these were much larger than EL84's and sadly, unlike modern sophisticated stereo gear, they wore out. only one 7189 tests better than "meh" on my TC-2

I got plenty of EL84s, Gold lions and Fisher and Preferred 7189's.

I completely recapped it and the 30-A amp.

Someone was in the 30-A amp and bypassed the level control

attachment.php

It sounds real Fisherie with three speakers per channel

I would rescue and restore any tube Fisher gear that washed up on my audio shore

As a vintage audio guy I find solace and asylum in the Fisher forum

Attachments

• DSC02109.jpg
    DSC02109.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Very nice. Style-wise, that looks amazingly similar to my Hoffman console. Wonder if the cabinet designers were looking over each other's shoulders. Think you've got the same changer mine originally came with too, a Garrard RC 121.

Beautiful! If I found something like that I'd give it a good home, too. Thanks for keeping another one out of the trash pile, or gutted.

i snazzed it up with photoshop

Took out the fake drawer pulls and converted from Provincial to modern

attachment.php

This cabinet was not actually modified, the image is a fig newton of your immigration

Attachments

• Modern.jpg
    Modern.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
It's about time another Fisher console showed up! Been toooo long since we've heard of any "new" ones out there!

That is BEAUTIFUL! The cabinet looks impeccable! How did you clean it up or was it basically like that when you got it?

The 30A is the multi tap version. The speakers are connected to the 16 Ohm tap

Someone has modified the 30A to bypass the level control

It works fine, just at max level, the volume on the main console does control the volume for both channels

It's now my office tube Fisher console

Here are the caps I replaced, the cans are left in place with new caps underneath
attachment.php

These caps have officially BLORPED
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC02155.jpg
    DSC02155.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02156.jpg
    DSC02156.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
the 610 consolette was a 1959 and 60 model. Your's would be the 610-P. The Companion is listed as a '59 model only.

Very nice condition, even if you DID photoshop it.

Mine is a '60 510-M and I've added a 610 headunit. and have the matching 560 unit.

Hookup the level attenuator in the 560 and you can tweak the balance a bit better between them.

Note that FISHER allowed the 610/510 heads and the 30A to use EL-84/6BQ5's in it also. So you've got some options for tubes in it. Manuals here.......( http://www.fisherconsoles.com )

Thanks Larry. I stand corrected in that this is a '59-'60 model. It IS a 610-P and I just picked 7189's over EL84's because I had both.

I have the schematic and did Ohm the level pot to see if it was functional, it looked ok meter wise

Thanks for the manuals link

Also got a new GE-47 and the indicator now works

I wonder why they say this is 35 watts, kinda ambitious for EL84 push pull mono

Last edited:
Different Standards for measuring wattage. Back then they measured PEAK WATTAGE per the IHF Standards or EIA standards. So 35W would make sense. About 10-13 Watts RMS.

Larry

Different Standards for measuring wattage. Back then they measured PEAK WATTAGE per the IHF Standards or EIA standards. So 35W would make sense. About 10-13 Watts RMS.

Larry

Is this going to be on the test? I better take notes.

What standard do they use today? Because I see some amps that weigh 3 pounds and they claim, like 1500 watts

I think they quit using meaningful standards at some point. Some of the numbers claimed now are just absolute nonsense. Its often "music power", whatever that is supposed to mean.

The answer lies in how the FTC regulations were written back at the time. Since at that time, the only equipment being produced was stereo equipment, the regulations targeted, and only apply to TWO channel traditional stereo receiver/amplifiers, that do not contain their own speakers, and operate off of normal household AC current. As a result, all the bazillion watt car booster amplifiers, computer speaker/amplifiers, and infinite channel home theater sound systems manufactured today do not fall under the regulations -- because they do not strictly fit the definition of the equipment covered by the regulation. Therefore, manufacturers of these items can claim whatever they want in terms of power output. Just another fine example of how well intentioned government regulations fall so short of their intended mark!

Dave

And that is a function of TORQUE and rpm!

I just love how the car manufacturers are on a HORSEPOWER KICK! 300HP out of a 3.5L naturally aspirated 6 banger? Then you look at the spec's and it's at like 6500rpm, and the torque curve has come on @ 3800 and falling off @ 4500rpm. All that damn engine is doing is making noise and exhaust gas!

My 4.3 Chevy Truck Engines Make 195-200hp @ 4000(1995 Jimmy and 2002S-10) but the torque curve is so small it's ridiculous. 1900 to 3400 RPM and then it falls off. But keep them in the torque curve and they'll pull all day, and I get 22-24mpg @ 2200rpm on the highway with them locked up in 4th. And they were rated by EPA @ 15-18.

Gimme an HONEST to God Torque monster. 300CID FORD 6 Cyl. RPM Band 0-3500. torque Curve is basically flat from 800rpm to 2900-3000 and then starts to drop off. 250ft. lbs of torque from 800rpm to 3500rpm, and 110HP@ 2500RPM. At least that was how my 87 and 92 F-150's were rated. They'd Pull a house all day and not get winded! And Gas mileage was 15mpg whether or not you were towing. Best engine FORD ever made. But the Automatics they put behind it wanted RPM's and the 300 wasn't a rpm engine. A Stick is more suited to the 300's Torque band. The T-18/19 trans were perfect. The Mazda 5spd was junk. To light duty for the 300.

Getting Back on Track.......

Music Power is Just another Term for Peak Power. Those tiny car amps might make 1500W but it's for no more than 1 cycle or less. They can't maintain the power or strain on the components.

Music and peak power are more appealing to the masses because there is either no or little explanation of how the test was made. They aren't looking for X amount of watts into 8ohms, from 20hz to 20000Hz with a THD of Y%. They see 1500W and go HOLY CHIT! They see 150W into8oHms,20hz-20mHz, @.2%THD and they go "YAWN" because they don't understand that this is CONTINUOUS WATTS that the unit will play all day long not PEAK! That is the crux of the problem. There are no explanations, and NO REGULATIONS to FORCE the Manufacturers into HONEST FTC Certified Testing on AUDIO GEAR of most types. If they did that, 99% of the garbage that is out there wouldn't come up to a SX-737 HONEST FTC Certified 35W RMS PER CHANNEL, into 8ohms, 20-20,@ .5% THD.

Back
Top Bottom