Rotel 1080 arose from the dead.

KevinCorr

I had a Rotel 1080 quit working. It locked on standby. I mailed it to a hifi store in the next city, Pyrimyd in Anchorage. After a few months he called and said that there is nothing wrong with it.

So maybe it is the first sign of senility?
It didn't work, really, I am sure.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Rotel AVR that did the same thing was ok. That would be good luck for Scott who I gave it to.

That Tuner is very good. I think it is very under rated by the tuner aficionados. They must have sold a lot of them because there is a constant flow of them on ebay and Agon, I noticed while waiting for an estimate on mine. I would have bought another if mine were a goner.

I've had that happen. Assuming UPS doesn't have a secret repair service, my hypothesis has been shipping "fixed" a loose connection somehow.

USPS. The repairman said that just having it off for a time it may have reset something. Pretty vague for a tech.

FWIW, other than needing a couple squirts of deox in the front panel switches, that Luxman 5T50 tuner I picked up from you awhile back arrived here in working condition... IIRC you said you had been having problems with it.

Maybe something going on with your electrical?

John

Thanks John. No the Rotel was completely off. It showed the standby light but no signal. I turned it on and off over a time but it would never come back on. It was on a good power line conditioner (Panamax M4300 pm).

Yes, the Lux5T50 did have a signal but not so strong and static. I have acquired a few tuners that are more sensitive for here outside of town. The Lux was very nice when I spent winters in Seattle but I need different ones for this house in the hills.
I picked up a Kenwood that was working before I even connected the antenna. I went that route because we have no service here. I mailed my Rotel 990bx out for alignment and am waiting to see if it can match the signal of the Kenwood, Rotel 1080 and Mag Dyn, the three that have the best reception here so far.

FWIW, other than needing a couple squirts of deox in the front panel switches, that Luxman 5T50 tuner I picked up from you awhile back arrived here in working condition... IIRC you said you had been having problems with it.
Maybe something going on with your electrical?
John

Wow, there is one on ebay starting bid $450! He calls it Lab Reference Series. He has the amp and pre amp for sale too, for $800.

Got it... the front panel switches were pretty noisy but your description sounds more like reception issues than what was going on with the switches. I don't have anywhere near as challenging reception locally as you probably do. Will align it when I get a chance, which should help, but I did notice the specs for sensitivity aren't that stellar.

I saw those listings. I think he's a bit high on the tuner price - based on other US results - but the amp/preamp may go at those prices. Way cheaper than the guys in Europe are selling these for, anyway.

That standby circuit in the Rotel can't be that complicated... wonder wth is going on there that would fix itself and/or fool the tech?

John

Tuner pricing is all over the place. Some guys try for a really high price then later sell it reasonably, if it doesn't sell, except certain models which get a sort of 'cult' following.

Don't feel bad. I sent a very nice NAD integrated amp back to the factory and they re-seated a board and it started working. After power-cycling, it's our most common "easy fix" on anything electronic.

Got it... the front panel switches were pretty noisy but your description sounds more like reception issues than what was going on with the switches. I don't have anywhere near as challenging reception locally as you probably do. Will align it when I get a chance, which should help, but I did notice the specs for sensitivity aren't that stellar.

I saw those listings. I think he's a bit high on the tuner price - based on other US results - but the amp/preamp may go at those prices. Way cheaper than the guys in Europe are selling these for, anyway.

That standby circuit in the Rotel can't be that complicated... wonder wth is going on there that would fix itself and/or fool the tech?

John

It didn't sell so he has relisted it for $400.

Back
Top Bottom