AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

That's the circle jig I use. I made templates for center hole placement, depth, etc. It makes things much quicker when you're doing a couple dozen at a time.

Finally decided to take a crack at these. Looks like the current parts list at PE is missing a cap, unless I've missed something in the thread.

This is my first attempt at diy speakers, so I'll learn as I go, but I wanted to thank all those that took part in this thread and helped with the design. I'll post some pics when they're done.

I looked at these as well... PE seemed to have some stuff missing from the parts list.

Referring to the parts list seen at https://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-speaker-project-karma-indignia) yes, at a minimum the 7.5uF/250v cap is not listed (PE part number 027-429).

Also, should consider something to build your crossover on, a bag of Acousta-Stuf (PE 260-317) and some kind of a jack plate (your choice).

And, of course, if you're not converting an existing cabinet (like I did), or building custom (like others did) you'll need a cabinet.

Referring to the parts list seen at https://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-speaker-project-karma-indignia) yes, at a minimum the 7.5uF/250v cap is not listed (PE part number 027-429).

Also, should consider something to build your crossover on, a bag of Acousta-Stuf (PE 260-317) and some kind of a jack plate (your choice).

And, of course, if you're not converting an existing cabinet (like I did), or building custom (like others did) you'll need a cabinet.

Thanks Blast. I'm definitely fresh meat when it comes to this.

I'm building the cabinets myself, so we'll see how that goes..

It took me longer to read this entire thread than it took to build the speakers! The end results are well worth the time and cost, the speakers are overachievers considering the size and low cost components.

Here's a picture of my completed pair.

141113+08-QW.jpg

Looks like someone needs some serial numbers! Those look really nice. Did you build the cabinets yourself? What was your total cost of parts?

It took me longer to read this entire thread than it took to build the speakers! The end results are well worth the time and cost, the speakers are overachievers considering the size and low cost components.

I know, right? And, welcome to AK! :D

Thanks RayW. And thanks for all the knowledge and tips in this thread from you and a few other members. :thmbsp:

I built the cabinets myself using 3/4" mdf and lots of gorilla glue. I scored a plunge router on craigslist this summer for next to nothing, so the only additional cost in addition to the PE parts was a router circle jig and the mdf.

I'm still working on wall mounts (the speakers will end up in the garage mounted above shelving). In the mean time I'm breaking them in playing for a few hours and am very happy with the sound characteristics :music:

D'oh! The public humiliation gambit. I was afraid of this.

The baffles are done and going out tomorrow. I ran into a pesky problem with my mother-in-law and a heart attack last week.

D'oh! The public humiliation gambit. I was afraid of this.

The baffles are done and going out tomorrow. I ran into a pesky problem with my mother-in-law and a heart attack last week.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Congrats, as350, they are killer little speakers. Mine are still my daily drivers.

My insignias are in my office at work and have been doing duty their for a few years. They are probably my most listened to speakers.

All done! :banana:

Got too busy to post my progress on here, but here's a few pics

eXBMHl.jpg

4QjfVU.jpg

I used solid oak for the baffles and oak plywood for the rest of the cabinets since I had it on hand. Sounds great! My neighbors are gonna hate me.

Back
Top Bottom