• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HELP? JVC JA-S5G Amp?

thomo57

Super Member
I have just purchased a JVC JA-S5G and have scoured the net for about 6 hours looking for some references on it.:scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:

Very limited info available.
Does anyone have specifications on it as I have run out of any options that I'm aware of??

Any help would be much appreciated:thmbsp::yippy:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Thats the one.:beerchug::beerchug::beer::beer:
Except mine has a black metal casing
Thak you very much for the prompt response it is very much appreciated.
I'd give you a hug if you were here:thmbsp:
 
Do any members have other relevant information on this amp eg: Brochure etc or anything in english.

Regards thomo
 
Further to the request for information on the JVC JA S5G amplifier.

The information supplied by member ryuuoh gives the power consumption for the JA S5 as 90 watts {I think? It's in Japanese} the model that I have has a power consumption of 235 watts.

How do I calculate the power of the amp from this if it is possible.:no::no:

Also there seems to be a huge information void on this amplifier which I can;t understand:tears: as it is a beautiful amp cosmetically and also to listen to:music:
 
Not sure how helpful this will be but one member from Australia (mjr4077au) has/d the same JVC. This is what he wrote:

Oddball pieces would be my JVC JA-S77(Already mentioned) and my JVC JA-S5G.

If anybody else has seen a JA-S5G, then say so as I don't know of anybody that has one or seen one (including AK). I am after a Service Manual for it and i will pay top-dollar for it. Rick @ stereomanuals.com doesn't have one either.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80538&page=2 (Post #27)

He hasn't posted since 2008 but who knows, maybe he got some information? Try e-mailing him?
 
Last edited:
I had a look at the specs in Japanese. Looks like you got a 140 WPC amp!!!

NOT.

That there's a 35 wpc amp. This is a textbook example of how a manufacture cleverly manipulates which rating system is used and how the data is displayed. To whit:

The IHF power is shown as 110W. Technically true, but normally equipment is rated PER CHANNEL. Not only do they throw in that "110W" (because, well, anything over 100W has GOT to be good, right?), but even that BS number is compromised because it won't meet that rating playing music, only when you're cranking a 1kHz sine wave through it with some friends on Friday night. AND it'll only do it for 20ms at a time. Ahh, but then they come clean. The CONTINUOUS rated output into an 8-ohm load is 80W (well, um, actually 40wpc). But wait! What's this? 1kHz again? Who the hell cares how loud a piercing 1,000Hz tone your amp can amplifiy?

Finally, the meat: at 20Hz-20kHz (the audible range) what you got is 70W (shoot, make that 35wpc).

Well, at least it's low distortion: 0.05% at full rated output power. But Wait! Not again! That's only 35 watts of pure 1kHz sine wave again! When you actually play music through it, the distortion even at a measly 1W is 8 TIMES HIGHER!!! 0.4%! The fact that they don't rate THD at anything close to full rated output implies that it's WAAAAYYYY too high to print. 10%?

Reading that spec sheet would make me really not want to buy that amp new, if only not to reward such bullsh*t advertising. I'm surprised because JVC certainly made some decent stuff. And I'm not saying anything about how the amp sounds, just critiquing the advertising.
 
Still confused is it a 35watts 8ohm???
My knowledge of amplifier specifications and performance is very limited
From the specifications is it any good
.:yes::no::thmbsp::thumbsdn:

It certainly looks very nice mid 70's silver front, nice weight to it and it sounds ok.
I've probably answered my own query:scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Yes, it's 35wpc continuous over the audible spectrum into an 8-ohm load.

Most all mid-70's onward solid state amplifiers will have low distortion figures... far lower than tubes. And yet tubed equipment still sells, and sells for high prices.

As for power, more is not always better. You can buy speakers that will play as loud with 10 watts as other less efficient ones play at 100 watts. There are some amps which only put out a couple of watts which sound great on the right speakers. And remember, the ratio between power and sound is logarithmic, not linear. This means that you need TEN TIMES the power to produce TWO TIMES as much sound. Given that most of your listening will be <1 watt, 35 watts is plenty for most people.

The amp certainly looks nice. Crank it up!

The only way to tell if it's any good is to hook it up and play some music. Your ears are really the only judge.
 
It sounds very nice.
Very clean and clear/crisp.
I find all my gear at either second hand stores, markets or garage sales.
It cost me $40 and it doesn't have any issues I've discovered yet.
I have it hooked up to a pair of Rogers LS 8A speakers [$10 at a garage sale] and a Dual 1228 turntable [$10 at a market]
For the total cost I can't complain.:banana::banana: [But my partner does, she can't see the value in this "stuff":nono:

You don't have any information on the AIWA AX 7600 Tuner/Amp by any chance:no:
 
Nope, don't know anything about the Aiwa. Good stuff you have picked up, those speakers are N-I-C-E at $10.

Most women I've met hate to see any sort of technology (and I think this actually gets worse with age), especially anything with wires or knobs or (gasp!) BOTH, if my wife had her way our entire entertainment system would be the size of a packet of cigarettes, white, with no markings of any kind. Oh, and it would be in a drawer.
 
Found it

YES!

My neighbor had donated one of these amps to me yesterday :yes:. It was in bad need for a service, the sound was dull and crackling.

I found the service manual for the S5 at elektrotanya.com. The S5 and the S5G are identical, except for the exterior.

1. search for JVC and JA-S5
2. click the small blue download button
3. a new page opens and the download appears to the right after a few seconds.

I was able to fix mine with this service manual, sounding fresh again :thmbsp:.
 
YES!

My neighbor had donated one of these amps to me yesterday :yes:. It was in bad need for a service, the sound was dull and crackling.

I found the service manual for the S5 at elektrotanya.com. The S5 and the S5G are identical, except for the exterior.

1. search for JVC and JA-S5
2. click the small blue download button
3. a new page opens and the download appears to the right after a few seconds.

I was able to fix mine with this service manual, sounding fresh again :thmbsp:.



Thanks Jooch will have a look.:thmbsp:
 
Thanks again Jooch.
That is the model.:yes:

How do you like yours.:thmbsp::thumbsdn:
I love the look of it, clean silver front mid 70's
I'm no audiophile but I think I got a good buy for $40
I have mine connected to 2 turntables 1: Thorens TD 150 TT with MC cartridge
2: Dual 1229 TT with MM cartridge.
 
Last edited:
For the total cost I can't complain.:banana::banana: [But my partner does, she can't see the value in this "stuff":nono:

I guess you are giving the damn thing too much attention. :D

BTW depending on the sensitivity of the speakers 35w/c can be a lot of power.
 
I guess you are giving the damn thing too much attention. :D

BTW depending on the sensitivity of the speakers 35w/c can be a lot of power.

I know very little women who actually appreciate quality sound/music, so to most of them it doesn't matter if it is a laptop or the most expensive audio setup in the world. They would probably prefer the laptop because it's mobile... :sigh:

I also don't know a lot of people who take the time to sit down and listen to their music, that's probably the reason why vintage amps are binned for 5.1 receivers...

Anyway i am doing some mods on the JVC right now to get it even better sounding, i replaced and upgraded a lot of caps. I will post some pics later this day.

Here are the performance graphs from the manual:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5516.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5517.jpg
    IMG_5517.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5517_2.jpg
    IMG_5517_2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 29
Caps to be replaced:

IMG_5506.JPG


IMG_5510.JPG
 
To preserve the looks of the amp i used 2 pieces of PVC pipe, in which i put two Nichicon caps:

IMG_5518.JPG


IMG_5519.JPG


IMG_5520.JPG


IMG_5521.JPG
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom