• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is it possible to run a subwoofer off of the 800C, and who has done it?

Gang-Twanger

Resident Wharfedaliophool
I recently saw a comment from someone (on AK, I think) who mentioned using a subwoofer via the center channel output of the old Fisher receivers (I use a restored 1964 800C), so I thought I should consult the Fisher experts on this topic. I would certainly love to try it, and lately I've been contemplating what my next 'system upgrade' move should be (Upgrade my DAC, get some quality stands for the Dentons, put the money into my turntable rig, or get a subwoofer, which is an idea I really like because I've also always wanted to hear how the W90's would sound if they were augmented by a halfway-decent subwoofer, plus it's just the sort of thing to turn the Denton from a standmount speaker to a full-range speaker).

Anyway, is it possible to run a sub from the 800C, whether from the center-channel output to a passive sub or perhaps from that RECORDR OUT connection I see back there to an active sub? And if so, then who has done it and what sub did you use? I'm just trying to get a better idea of my options. People usually talk about using a lot of power for bass, and I was concerned that 30w (or 35) might not be enough. However, I don't listen to music very-loudly, so I wouldn't need a 15" monster driven by a 1000w amp. I was thinking 10" or 12".

I'll leave it to you guys (and guyettes :smoke: )... Thanks in advance...
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Gang -- Whether you use a mixer to blend the outputs from the Recording Output jacks (not the best option), or use the center channel output (very best option), you will need an active sub to make the combination work. The center channel output (as well as the Recording Outputs) is/are a line level output, so amplification in the sub speaker is required.

I hope this helps!

Dave
 
.


I'm using a Rel t7 connect to the speaker jacks with their speak on cable to augment my W60s.

Very pleased with the results.


.
 
If the sub has speaker level inputs you can use it with any integrated or basic amp.

Thanks, guys... Now see, that's what I mean. I don't know WHAT I need.

So, the 500C/800C's center-channel output is NOT powered... Ohhhhhhhh... (I thought it was :D Well, there goes that idea about using a W60 as a center-channel for the W90's... Dang it).

OK, so I need a powered sub. I know there's a $359 one from some company in Southern California... Supposed to be amazing for the price... HUS.. or HUN (or is it HIN... I know it's the founder's first name, which I thought was Japanese or something... They specialize in home subs, some costing as high as $2000+). I'm sure there are a ton of brands out there. I don't have a clue what brand/model would best fit my situation.
 
Last edited:
Paging Audiodon...come in Audiodon...

Hehe, Don has been saying for years how good the Fisher kings sound with a sub. Had the pleasure of demoing Don's setup at one of the last AK get togethers and it was really enjoyable. Not sure how he had it hooked up but center channel would seem good to me with volume control and mono output.
 
I don't know Gang, I don't know...a sub might ruin the beautiful accurate bass the W90's do SO well! Just my personal opinion, I think if you go sub, it better be TOTL in order to integrate seamlessly within your system. At one point I ran a decent powered sub out of the center channel of my 500B, meh. Subs are great for more modern music but maybe I'm way off target and someone here will gladly correct my ignorance? Personally? I'd spend the $$$ on the vinyl rig.
 
Bah..
You guys just need bigger speakers...

I've got a set of EV SP12s in 5cuf cabinets and I've got plenty of bass from my Fisher X-100
 
Sub dilemma?

Thundermud.. I tend to agree.

I would gather the bass output for your "sub(s)" need to be in phase with the overall signal delivery. Not saying it would be audible but by using a peripheral amp you may actually get offset bass notes :thumbsdn:?

Perhaps this would be similar to hearing a speaker system out-of-phase.

Can you hear this though...?

And will it be heard as "frosty" bass notes or just get on your nerves after a while :tears:?

Seems to me, the orginal intention is to run this sub at very low power settings .. So there may not be any "audible" distractions.

Hmmm.. :scratch2:?
 
When using speaker level inputs simply reverse +/- on one speaker and use the balance control to determine which speaker plus sub has the most output.
Then wire both speakers that way or reverse the +/- to the sub if needed.

GT
http://www.hsuresearch.com/
 
When using speaker level inputs simply reverse +/- on one speaker and use the balance control to determine which speaker plus sub has the most output.
Then wire both speakers that way or reverse the +/- to the sub if needed.

GT
http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Thanks... I remembered (or was "prompted" when I spotted an "HSU vs Energy vs Outlaw" thread :D ).

Shadco may be onto something. If anything, I was worried about the loose low bass of the W90's interfering with the SUB (The W90's seem to have great control in the upper and maybe even middle-bass, but once you get down under 50hz, I think it loosens up quite a bit, which is not the most-ideal thing for modern electronic music (Been listening to that a lot lately... My Grado RSII headphones do an excellent job with that stuff for a headphone aimed at more-civilized music). It's not a huge amount of looseness, but it's there (Remember, these are 50 year old speakers, and British at that), but I think it occurs below the point where the bass starts rolling off. Thankfully, the mid and upper-bass makes up for it (The old review I have says that doubling starts occurring at like 37hz, whatever that means, but strong sensations of bass were felt). Anyway, that's why I thought a good 10" sub might cover up that weak low-bass with some strong, CONTROLLED low-bass. But again, I've never run a sub before (I would surely be placing it in different spots to find the best one... I have OCD. :D ).

Anyway, along with Shadco's suggestion, I was looking at Energy and HSU. I'm looking for a musical sub for my musical speakers. They're a little warm. Should the sub be a little warm too? :scratch2:
 
Bah..
You guys just need bigger speakers...

I've got a set of EV SP12s in 5cuf cabinets and I've got plenty of bass from my Fisher X-100

Well, mine are 32" high by 28" wide by 13+" deep. Don't think I can fit anything bigger... They're just OLD... 18hz flat extension just wasn't possible 50 years ago, not without some custom multi-tier system built by audio engineers.
picture.php


Wow... I just realized why it looks like I was standing on a chair or something... It's because the living room floor up at that cottage (our family cottage in Maine) is so-incredibly-off-level in various spots. You don't realize it when you're walking on it, but the lakefront place is supported on stilts, and we have to jack it up in spots every so often to keep it from tearing itself apart as it slowly-slides closer and closer to the lake... Still there though... Time for a new roof though... Carpenter ants destroyed it because there is a tree above, and the lake association won't let anybody cut down any trees bigger than like 6" at the trunk).
 
Last edited:
I stand corrected...

:D

I DO have standmount speakers as well that I just bought, and with a sub handling things down lowski, they should be mighty-fine. I always wanted to try a sub with my W90's though. They do everything well except for the low, low bass (which was basically the case for any speaker that wasn't sportin' a 15" woofer back in those days, and I think even most that were).
 
Just realized, my 800C does not have a "control plug" like the one on the back of the 800B. Doe' even know what tha 'tis (said the guy who suddenly started posting with a British accent).

Been thinking about this subwoofer thing a lot. So far, Energy is probably the front-runner, but I have one I still have to check out online. Energy has always been known for musicality and PRAT, two things I would want in a sub, probably above all. Back when I had my car system (About $4000 worth of gear), I really didn't know what I was doing, but now, with maybe 60% of the budget, I feel like I've got a much better handle on my hi-fi goals and desires. My car system went nice and low though. :D
 
Rythmik Audio subs are darn good. If I was in the market that would be one of the brands at the top of the list for consideration.

Hsu, as mentioned, and SVS are also well-known sub mfgs in addition to Rythmik.

And, yes, one with speaker level inputs can be connected just fine to almost any amp.
 
Paging Audiodon...come in Audiodon...

Hehe, Don has been saying for years how good the Fisher kings sound with a sub. Had the pleasure of demoing Don's setup at one of the last AK get togethers and it was really enjoyable. Not sure how he had it hooked up but center channel would seem good to me with volume control and mono output.

That's funny...Audiodon beat ya'.

And yes, I don't plan on going crazy with the volume (unless I'm making one of those "Bass I Love You" excursion videos for YouTube ;) ). I'm taking a long look at 3 or 4 different models. The HSU looks like a good one, but I'm worried it might be more of a home theater kind of thing. HSU makes some nice stuff though.
 
What will matter with those big Wharfies is having a good crossover. That does imply expense. I'd like to know if you're thinking of only those Wharfies or also your new Dentons.
 
+1 on the HSU...Very musical and being able to discuss your personal situation with Dr. Hsu is too cool! It does take time to integrate the sub to your personal satisfaction but Dr Hsu will lead you accordingly.
 
Back
Top Bottom