• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Dr. Strangelove (the movie , that is)

ekmanning5

Time has told me...
Just finished watching Dr. Strangelove with my 14 year old son. I had seen parts of it many times, but this was the first time I ever saw it complete. What a great flick to share with him! He got a huge kick out of, "there's no fighting in the war room". :thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
"Strangelove" is one of those flicks, like "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" that every time you watch it, you can get something new & different out of.
 
You mean that in-flight refueling scene might be symbolic of, well, you know, ummm, er, ..... sex?

Steve A.
 
Strangelove Trivia

Kubrick met Henry Kissinger at a party after he made Lolita. Kissinger was the model for Dr. Strangelove (mannerisms and accent).

Watch Major Kong (Pickens) as he reads the contents of the Survival Kit. When he says "a fella could have a good weekend in Vegas", it's an overdub. He actually said "Dallas", but they held the film back from release due to the Kennedy assassination, and then overdubbed the reference.

Some of the scenes flying low over frozen wasteland of Russia were reused in "2001: A Space Odyssey" (all colored/polarized up) as part of the descent to Jupiter scene.
 
Kubrick met Henry Kissinger at a party after he made Lolita. Kissinger was the model for Dr. Strangelove (mannerisms and accent).

I reckon Werner von Braun is the more likely inspiration. Kissinger is nothing like Strangelove and vice-versa.

Great flick. Peter Sellars is at the top of his game.
 
George C. Scott and Sterling Hayden are great as well. Although Peter Sellers' roles were just unbelievable. His "Mandrake" is priceless.

Scott's Gen. Turgidson description of the U.S. deaths from a nuclear war confrontation get me howling every time:

Turgidson: Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops, uh, depending on the breaks.

Muffley: I refuse to go down in history as the greatest mass murderer since Adolf Hitler.

Turgidson: Perhaps it might be better, Mr. President, if you were more concerned with the American people, than with your image in the history books.

And this scene with Scott about the possibility of Slim Pickens' bomber getting through to deliver his payload:

Muffley: Is there really a chance for that plane to get through?

Turgidson: Mr. President, if I may speak freely, the Russkie talks big, but frankly, we think he's short of know-how. I mean, you just can't expect a bunch of ignorant peons to understand a machine like some of our boys. And that's not meant as an insult, Mr. Ambassador, I mean, you, you take your average Russkie, we all know how much guts he's got. Hell, look, look at all them them Nazis killed off and they still wouldn't quit...if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs], you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Muffley: Yeah, but has he got a chance?

Turgidson: Has he got a chance? Hell, Ye...ye... [He covers his mouth dumbstruck, suddenly and solemnly grasping the implications of his words]

Should be required viewing in every high school history class in the U.S. (and elsewhere).
 
I like the scene where the soldiers are trying to storm the air base. While a pitched gunbattle is going on in the background, the camera pans on the sign with the SAC motto "Peace is our Profession."


"I don't avoid the company of women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence."
 
Dr. Strangelove may be a truly perfect film.

It some ways it's like a great piece of music that you never tire of listening to.
 
I gave this a second veiwing last night before I shipped it back. I only want to know one thing; where are the George C. Scotts among todays actors? Where are the Sterling Haydons? Where are the Peter Sellers'? These guys were great. The shots of Sterling Hayden during one of his extended monologues when the camera was below his face...classic. With all due respect to todays film industry...they DON"T make them like this anymore.
 
unfortunately these days an actor is judged more for his abs than acting and dialog is usurped by car crashes,explosions and spfx...........i think that the home theater - thx world we live in has a down side and that is that films like the maltese falcon will not get made any more as they dont have the wow factor that todays gear allows............
 
Back
Top Bottom