• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Moving up from a Shure V15T3

Sprags

Well-Known Member
I have a Technics SL-1100. I bought it used and it came with a Shure V15T3. Before I had a chance to try it out I broke the stylus and replaced it with a $15 VN35E eBay stylus. I know others say I should get a genuine Shure stylus but if there is problem with the cartridge I currently have it seems I'm going be wasting money on that purchase.

So...what would be a good cartridge to go with as an upgrade? What price point would I need to be in to truly be at the next level up rather than be at an equal level? I try to be frugal so I'd rather spend less than more. My Yamaha CA-2010 has a phono preamp that can handle moving magnet and moving coil cartridges.

Thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sprags,

How about a better stylus and make sure overhang and setup is good? Jico makes excellent replacement styli for the Shure. Try the Hyper-Elliptical or the Super Analog Stylus. The HE is cheaper. And good value for your money. You'd need to spend $250-$300 to better it.
 
I'd like to go with a new cartridge rather than upgrading the one I have. I'm thinking that it may be old and worn out and rather than trying to fix it I'd rather get something new. Thanks for suggestion anyway.

Someone already suggested a Grado Gold. Any others recommendations?
 
I'd like to go with a new cartridge rather than upgrading the one I have. I'm thinking that it may be old and worn out and rather than trying to fix it I'd rather get something new. Thanks for suggestion anyway.

Someone already suggested a Grado Gold. Any others recommendations?

If your going to dismiss the suggestions by the seasoned veterans here, why ask the question in the first place? You're getting good advice.

Jon
 
@Sprags send me the old Shure PM me for my addy. No really I would suggest doing some research on what you have. Make sure you have the cart and stylus set up correctly first if you still hate it send it to me (lol). Then I agree to upgrade the stylus with a JICO. I have the orig NOS Shure V15vmr cart and stylus sounds great. I picked up a Saunders after market stylus not bad BUT not as detailed.

Here are some links I am not going debate with others what is better (my god there are other threads for that) just some links for you to research if you will.

http://stylus.export-japan.com/

http://www.edsaunders.com/shurestylus.htm
 
I have a Technics SL-1100. I bought it used and it came with a Shure V15T3. Before I had a chance to try it out I broke the stylus and replaced it with a $15 VN35E eBay stylus. I know others say I should get a genuine Shure stylus but if there is problem with the cartridge I currently have it seems I'm going be wasting money on that purchase.

So...what would be a good cartridge to go with as an upgrade? What price point would I need to be in to truly be at the next level up rather than be at an equal level? I try to be frugal so I'd rather spend less than more. My Yamaha CA-2010 has a phono preamp that can handle moving magnet and moving coil cartridges.

Thank you.

Decide on a budget for the new cartridge. :scratch2:

The members then can give suggestions on new mm and new mc type within the budget.
 
@Sprags send me the old Shure PM me for my addy. No really I would suggest doing some research on what you have. Make sure you have the cart and stylus set up correctly first if you still hate it send it to me (lol). Then I agree to upgrade the stylus with a JICO. I have the orig NOS Shure V15vmr cart and stylus sounds great. I picked up a Saunders after market stylus not bad BUT not as detailed.

Here are some links I am not going debate with others what is better (my god there are other threads for that) just some links for you to research if you will.

http://stylus.export-japan.com/

http://www.edsaunders.com/shurestylus.htm


The Ed Saunders stylus is no different than the cheap generics, except you'll pay more for it.

Jon
 
The EVG-branded styli, at least for Shure cartridges, seem to be JICO products and the same general quality as their standard ellipticals. The SAS is a wonderful stylus, but it is very expensive. I personally have an M91 with an EVG stylus (which is my standard, daily driver cartridge right now), a V15III with an older Ed Saunders (which is OK, but I'll probably be replacing it with an EVG), and a V15IV with a JICO SAS. All three are excellent cartridges (the M91 is essentially a V15II in a different case, introduced after the V15III came out). Cartridge bodies generally don't wear out unless a coil actually breaks for some reason.

Pfanstiehls and other generics are generally to be avoided, unless you know how to read Pfanstiehl's packaging to pick out OEM products in Pfanstiehl packaging.
 
Yes, sadly, most Shure after-market styli are very disappointing. Jico don't make 2 mil reading radius elliptical styli like the stock V15 Shure's, and their SAS styli are way too expensive for my taste.

I just picked up another Stanton 681eee Mk-I with a D680 stylus for $50 on an eBay auction last week. In my experience, these babies outperform almost all but the very best V15 Shure carts (with nos styli). Another auction just ended today at $150. Go figure...

A good bang for the buck would be, in my opinion, the Denon DL-110. Denon raised it's price last week from around $139 to $299, but it's still available for $115 here and for $95 on comet supply.

I think it's a superb HOMC cart for anything up to $150. I use one on my Technics SL-1210 with the stock tonearm, and some of my Thorens TD-160's with an SME 3009 tonearm and the stock TP-16. Simply superb!!! Not $300 superb but definitely comet supply $95 superb.

Cheers

Tom

I have been consistently listening to the V15-III w/ SAS and the DL 110 for over two years now. They are the main cartridges on in my two systems.

Comparing the two, I think the V15-III w/ SAS is much better as long as you have a low mass arm and can properly load it at your phono input.

The DL 110 is great for money ($87, $94, $139 ) but no way will I pay $250 for it.
 
I just purchased a Denon DL110 for $115. I'm going to order a headshell from Parts Express for $10 unless that's not the way to go and someone recommends a better one. As I said I'm curious about trying out a newer different cartridge. My findings will help me decide on my next step.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
 
I just purchased a Denon DL110 for $115. I'm going to order a headshell from Parts Express for $10 unless that's not the way to go and someone recommends a better one. As I said I'm curious about trying out a newer different cartridge. My findings will help me decide on my next step.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the Denon DL-110 cartridge. :thmbsp:

It has a fine 0.1 X 0.2 mil stylus that should be a good deterrent for sibilance.

Try the Stanton H4-S V2 Headshell in combination with the Denon DL-110 cartridge.

The Stanton headshell have longer slots that may come in hand should you decide to use the Baerwald protractor for alignment.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Stanton-H4-S-Headshell_2
 
I'm not surprised Denon raised the price on the 110. At the $100-ish price point, it was one of the biggest steals in audio equipment.
 
Thanks for the Stanton head shell suggestion. I will order that when I get home.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
 
A better more refined cartridge is the V15 type V but the III is no slouch.
To tell you the truth you're better off uprading your turntable.
 
Last edited:
In what way? The SL-1100 would take a lot of cash outlay to better. Like several thousand dollars worth. It basically is not too far from a SP 12 in performance (the DSP 25's father)
 
What is missing in the SQ?
I never heard the SL-1100 table, it looks to be an earlier version of the SL-1200 more or less. How about a better arm and cabling?
 
Back
Top Bottom