• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Basement Tube audio finds

Digital K

breaker of things
I am at my grandparents house for thanksgiving and I had been waiting for awhile to dig around for some of the older tube audio equipment he has collected. Here are the two I thought seemed most interesting. I have not powered them on as I heard that you need to reintroduce them slowly. Someone will have to refresh me on that process.

The first is a mono amplifier. It is a knight, I cant find a model number anywhere. I wish there were two...

4136662821_7d67b5306f_b.jpg



Here is the other. it has a model number knight 940a It says 200watts max on the rear, and here are some photos. I was surprised at the power rating, it is quite heavy. There are likely extra tubes around for this unit as well. Any input as to this model and such would be awesome to hear.

4136664073_a02842c164_b.jpg


4137428688_a73a36791f_b.jpg


4137484928_3670e37b9f_b.jpg


4137486210_b24814f7a0_b.jpg





There is also an old school mono regenerative tuner/amp that I didnt take pics of.

here is another tuner I found down there.

4137487014_3b9a68e679_b.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I think that the 200w max is how much that you can pull out of those two outlets....


Nice finds!!!!

what else is down there?
 
The knight 940 is probly about 15 to 20 watts rms per channel, nice finds there too. and on getting them up and running at the top of the forum in the sticys it will give you the info on bringing them up.
 
Last edited:
Right on. I thought that power ratinG seemed high for the 940. I'll take pics o the multiplex and the other stuff tomorrow.
 
Right on. I thought that power ratinG seemed high for the 940. I'll take pics o the multiplex and the other stuff tomorrow.

btw. What are the odds of finding a mate for the one in the top? Any model number known? There is no info on it anywhere.
 
Knight Kit KM-15

Digital,

That little guy is a Knight Kit KM-15. 15 watt class AB push pull amp. The one you found looks to be in good condition.

I built two of them from kits when I was 12. My first real stereo. I think it uses 6BQ5 outputs, but I'm not certain - that was a looooong time ago.

To take the top cover off, you need to first take the bottom cover off and then you can access the screws holding on the top cover.
 
Last edited:
hey man! thanks for the link! I really appreciate it. what is Sams 1039-SED?

spent my evening with grandpa learning how a variac works. he had a pretty serious one from what I can tell. the kn 940 is sitting in the basement now on. no leaks were visible anywhere. variac is on it...

here are some more photos of stuff I found...



4137838706_46930dca96_b.jpg


4137077085_fde277e7a9_b.jpg


this am radio he said he got on their wedding anniversary from his parents.

4137080727_ec4574cd0e_b.jpg


box full of tubes. some good, some bad. wonder if there is anywhere to get all these tested....

4137844148_5e15d685dc_b.jpg


this used to be part of a record recorder system. he has it all... somewhere...
4137844892_0ca49eb556_b.jpg


the variac:

4137845564_41a604f62c_b.jpg


bench testing:

4137084107_072f5d433b_b.jpg


grandpa was an electrical engineer before he retired. he has tons of testing equipment. giant oscilloscopes, etc... its fun to wander around and check all this stuff out.

hope you enjoyed all the pics
 
Very cool. It would be nice to restore all that gear so it can be used again. Those are some nice amps and receivers!

We have a 1950 Silvertone console that belonged to my wifes Grandparents. We use it quite a bit and it always brings back great memories for my wife. She remembers the old console playing at her Grandparents when she was a little kid.
 
Hah, nice....as Im sure if your careful with the variac is fine...but it almost looks more dangerous than the tube gear your powering with it

Mark
 
I have one of those Knight "Space Spanner" receivers. With a modest antenna (15-20' of wire) it's quite sensitive & fun to play with. Finicky...like all regeneratives...but fun nonetheless.
 
I also found my old pioneer speakers. ;) the surrounds are gone, but I think I could have them repaired. I'll post pics later...
 
Sams Photofacts was the service shop's source of information - they would subscribe and get about 20 packs a year, each with maybe 20-40 folders inside. Each folder had schematic, parts list, and photos to identify parts. The Knight 940 didn't make it into the regular folders, but they printed a schematic in set 1039 (1969 - rather late...). Many online sellers (like findatube.com) can sell you copies. My collection (only 4 file drawers...) peters out around 1960.

As for the Space Spanner, I have a two-page description and schematic if you don't have a manual.
 
Back
Top Bottom