• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Big ass speakers, small ass rooms

Wes_in_VA

Super Member
I'd like to hear about other people's experiences with big speakers in a small room.
I've always been afraid of the concept. My listening room is 11'x12' so I've stayed with small speakers for the most part. I've had great luck with many of them and I think that small speakers of all kinds can be spectacular in many ways.
I recently traded my BIL for a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls. The original plan was that they'd go upstairs in my living room setup but the wife nixed that: not because of the Cornwalls, per se, but because she's not willing to let me get rid of the B&W Matrix 803's that are there now! God, I love her.
That's how the Cornwalls ended up in my tiny man cave room and how I know now this: big speakers in a small space can be fantastic.

attachment.php


For all the positives of small speakers, they still can't portray the sense of scale that large ones can, or at least the ones I've heard can't.
That's why I wanted to start this thread and see what other folks have experienced.
As for my setup: as I mentioned, the room is ~11'x12'. I sit about 6 1/2' away from the speakers, and they're about 8' apart. Though you can't see it, my room is pretty heavily treated so the acoustics are nice. Not perfect by any stretch, but nice.

Let's say that small is smaller than 160 sf is our starting point for room size. Speaker size??? Well, something around the size of Cornwalls....
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
i had dq10s in a smallish room (my downstairs TV/listening room; did you get down there?). sounded nice; i imagine they would fill a much bigger room but they didn't overwhelm the small one.
 
A7s in a 17' x 12' ish basement room. They have an effortless quality about them.

I recently picked up an Altec 9442A amp to drive some other less efficient speakers (EPI 500s, ADS L810s, Snell Model E IIs) down here to see if something smaller can displace the A7s, but so far with my EL84 amp and smaller 2 way speakers like Dynaco A25s and EPI 100s, it's been no contest.

attachment.php
 
I'd say my room qualifies with DQ-10's and DQ-1W in about 160 sf or a little less. When the DQ's do their imaging magic with the right recording its nearly as intimate as head phones without the soundstage in your head. Full-body binaural perhaps. You heard it here first.

IMG_5128.JPG


IMG_5115.JPG
 
I occupy our living lounge as my listening room.

Of course my wife isn't happy about it, and we (or I) had agreed to take only half of the room for my audio this Sunday.

Then last night, listening to the setup through the recently serviced & improved 300Bs of mine, she figured that the sound wouldn't be this good if the we didn't utilise the room in the existing way. She then said 'Ok let's keep it this way for a while longer. The sound is just absolutely gorgeous.'

It still is a smallish unit lounge room though!

KakaoTalk_20140817_131202561_zps9c168000.jpg


KakaoTalk_20140817_131158224_zps6bac719c.jpg


FxCam_1408225141097_zpsd987849d.jpg
 
The trick is to carefully treat the first reflection points...!

I've since moved the speakers to have more distance from the walls.
 
I occupy our living lounge as my listening room.

Of course my wife isn't happy about it, and we (or I) had agreed to take only half of the room for my audio this Sunday.

Then last night, listening to the setup through the recently serviced & improved 300Bs of mine, she figured that the sound wouldn't be this good if the we didn't utilise the room in the existing way. She then said 'Ok let's keep it this way for a while longer. The sound is just absolutely gorgeous.'

It still is a smallish unit lounge room though!

KakaoTalk_20140817_131202561_zps9c168000.jpg


KakaoTalk_20140817_131158224_zps6bac719c.jpg


FxCam_1408225141097_zpsd987849d.jpg

I always love seeing that setup! Man, that's pretty
 
Thanks Wes. I fully agree with you on this:

For all the positives of small speakers, they still can't portray the sense of scale that large ones can, or at least the ones I've heard can't.
 
CIMG1588.JPG


CIMG1589.JPG


Frazier X-15 series in about 20X15+ (open family room).
Currently about 10 feet from the "sweet" chair.

Anything from a 10W tube amp to a 100W SS amp sound fantastic and can easily be "too loud" for SWMBO.

They don't get "loud", they get "big"!
 
The right small speakers with partnering sub can surprise you with the scale they can produce. I'm referring to systems that were designed to work as a whole, not mini monitors partnered with an off the shelf sub. Something like the Infinity Modulus I, or the Genesis IM-8200, these would have you dancing in your chair as they rocked the foundation of your house.
 
A7s in a 17' x 12' ish basement room. They have an effortless quality about them.

I recently picked up an Altec 9442A amp to drive some other less efficient speakers (EPI 500s, ADS L810s, Snell Model E IIs) down here to see if something smaller can displace the A7s, but so far with my EL84 amp and smaller 2 way speakers like Dynaco A25s and EPI 100s, it's been no contest.

attachment.php

What are your mid horns? Do they have better sound then 511's
 
I originally used my Altec 604s in an 11 x 12 room but didn't keep any wide shots of the system - here's all I have.

604finished.jpg


They actually worked remarkably well in there and I think that's all about the point source design of these drivers. The corner cabinets helped a lot too as the best place to stuff 9 cu. ft. boxes in a room that small is tight into the corners.
 
Been posted before...

It's not a real small room, on the order of 12x22, but considering 4x18", 4×15", the horns, and multi-kW behind it probably qualifies as big ass speakers in a small room.
picture.php
 
Been posted before...

It's not a real small room, on the order of 12x22, but considering 4x18", 4×15", the horns, and multi-kW behind it probably qualifies as big ass speakers in a small room.

Now I know why you like powerful amps...
 
The speakers are 99 or 100dB sensitivity...

FWIW, the Yamaha S215s have been replaced with JBL 4732s.
 
Last edited:
I once heard K horns in a 12 x 20 foot room powered by Mac tube. It sounded wonderful.
 
Back
Top Bottom