Starting the Polydome K repop. Tired of waiting.

BobnMary

I'm starting the process of reproducing the Polydome K domes. No more silicone dome crap or voice coil dust caps stuck on original voice coils.
The factory is in China and my next door neighbor who is a Chinese engineer now American citizen will provide support and translation.
I will get nothing from this other than the ability to repair my Kappa 9's.
The repops will start with the original style domes. Not the later 9.1 style.
Wish me luck.

Good luck! I was thinking of doing the same thing, at some point. I don't know the right kinds of people but money tends to be a good motivator! Please keep us posted of your progress!

someone should send a link to Infinity....Helping out people with older products is always good business...Polk does a great job with this among others...

I'm starting the process of reproducing the Polydome K domes. No more silicone dome crap or voice coil dust caps stuck on original voice coils.
The factory is in China and my next door neighbor who is a Chinese engineer now American citizen will provide support and translation.
I will get nothing from this other than the ability to repair my Kappa 9's.
The repops will start with the original style domes. Not the later 9.1 style.
Wish me luck.

Why would you limit yourself to making repops for just the older style? They both used the same dome size etc...

One would certainly have to start with a Polypropylene material of the same thickness though, as any other material (like the silicone mess) is bound to change the sound.

I've always wanted a pair of the original Kappa 9! I've avoided them since everyone I've seen has dry, discolored and/or cracked domes and no acceptable replacement parts were available.

This mid is a recommended replacement by Simply Speakers (but Madisound sells it for $25 less). Some people (including myself) have had good luck with the IMG (car) version of the polydome mid, if you can find it at a decent price. I haven't done an A/B comparison but it sounds decent to me (I'm probably not nearly as particular as some).

Attachments

• polydome mids.jpg
    polydome mids.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 38
I know a guy here in Hong Kong who makes them. I think he cast a mold from an original, and now uses it to make them, one at a time. His process is a bit messy, stinky, fiddly and time-consuming, with the whole process done by hand, so it isn't something he could offer on any scale. The results are the closest I've ever heard or seen to the originals, though.

If you can do these on a "commercial" scale, it would be a Godsend to Kappa owners everywhere. GOOD LUCK!

I've had these in my K9's, but they were 8Ohms vs 3.8ohms for the original polydomes.

Way too bright, and very fatiguing to listen for long period of time.

Went with RSDS ones also.

Yes, I was going to mention that. 8 ohm drivers certainly not a good alternative.

Problem is there's not enough kappa owners to make it worth while.

For the domes themselves, you would be catering to both the old and new Kappa lines. So it is quite many of them out there. Just could not make prices to absurd as people would just continue on with what they had to the point they had to replace the things.

Back
Top Bottom