Quantum Series Bass

InAp

Hi,
Have any of you done a direct comparison of QLS,Q2, and Q3 bass reproduction?
These are my thoughts on this issue. having listened to the 3 models I find the Q2 has the best bass of the 3. Reason for this is (jmho) because the enclosure volume is more suited to the watkins dual drive woofer. I would like to get the same output off the QLS, I figure measure the volume of the Q2, and QLS and put a partition where ever fits best in the QLS upper area of the domes as thier sealed units. What's your idea's on this? Thanks Al

The Q2 bass is fast and nice however changing cabinet volume of the QLS, having deep and enjoyable bass, would probably create issues of balanced output between mid/highs and the resulting bass output?

Also to keep in mind is the Woofers condition and the crossovers etc.
These speakers need lots of power behind them ..and the ability to dip to a 2 ohm load .. I have 2 sets of Q3's and a set of Q5's right now. The Q3's sound different than each other. One set of woofers are from Watkins and the other has woofers done over by an other speaker repair place same woofers and same size magnets.
If the bass gets boomy usually power or strength of the magnets is a factor. Crossovers make a difference also. Don't forget you are comparing speakers from the late 70's (over 40 years old) even if they have been recapped etc etc .. they do sound diff. I had a set of betas that I loved and had to sell them. The bass in tose would blow you away.
My .02
John M

Last edited:
@InAp, your idea might work, but keep in mind that the caps and inductors used in the watkins circuit are different values depending on which quantum model you try to match.
The quality and condition of the foam surrounds and the type & amount of cabinet stuffing you're using may have as much or more effect on the bass response as the partitioning you're considering.

Bill Watkins claims that cabinet size is not important because of the double voice coil design. Each of the Quantum series woofers has a different crossover designed to match the box size.

Infinity changed the 4 ohm (VC1) crossover caps on the QLS-1 at least once, switching from 1600 ohms to 1100 ohms. I think the 1100 set up sounds "tighter".

Also these speakers are very sensitive to room placement and need big power to control those woofers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom