What amp drives your Infinities?

My Infinity RS 2.5's are now biamped with a PrimaLuna ProLogue Four tube amp on the high pass, and a pair of Kenwood L-07M monoblocks handle the Watkins woofers. Immediately upstream of the amplifiers is a Bryston 10b Active Crossover unit. I had no idea these speakers could sound as wonderful as they do until I hit on this combination. Magic.

What powers my Infinities?

This...
sNUq7Xul.jpg

I love this amp and the very clean powerful sound it produces. This model amplifier was certainly massive overkill Krell engineering of the 90s. Everything under it's hood is massive, well built, and HEAVY.

This...
sNUq7Xul.jpg

I love this amp and the very clean powerful sound it produces. This model amplifier was certainly massive overkill Krell engineering of the 90s. Everything under it's hood is massive, well built, and HEAVY.
Nice - love that sweet sounding solid state power!

I picked up a pm1.5 recently. I like it on the tops of my Gammas. Anyone got good/bad experience to share?
I like the unlimited headroom. Jury still out on sound quality, but that amp does something magical with the L-EMIMS. SLAM!
Dave
What are you running on the low end of your IRS Gammas?

Mark:
I have a few amps in rotation for the Gamma woofers:
Crest Audio FA901
NAD 2400
HK 870
Mackie FR M800

The Crest is best, but the fan is kinda loud.
The Mackie is a wimp in comparison: not near the control
The HK is quite impressive, and the NAD was surprisingly competent for a $40 pawnshop prize.

I blew up the Carver: went in to protect mode, and will not recover....of course it only cost me $60....

Last edited:
Nothing fancy here. Just a pair of Adcom 555 back from the shop vertically biamping a pair of Kappa 8s.

Emotiva XPA-2. It's fearless.
Not my experience whatsoever...
K9'S-Yam MX-1000 on the bottom and a Yam M2 on top...had an Emo XPA-2 and it would go into protect every time...bummer too, I liked that amp. Also ran a Onkyo M-504 on top and it sounded great too. Been thinkin about Adcoms lately...just don't think they would sound better than these Yamys!
Had the same experience with the K8's believe it or not. I was in between amps so for a temp solution I cheaped out and borrowed an XPA-2. Big mistake. That pig whimpered and whined until it eventually shut down. Replaced it with a McIntosh 2100 and no worries.

Yay!
I finally get to play "What AMP drives your Infinities?"
I bought a Rotel RB-990BX a couple weeks ago.
My RSM's aren't amp killers and I have previously used Lafayette LR-9090 and LR-120DB receivers along with a Denon DRA-635R (which I wasn't comfortable using as it wasn't well mated to the 4 ohm load IMO) and lastly an MCS 3125.
The new to me Rotel should give me enough ooomph should I get a bigger set of Infinitys some day, well except for the biggest most current hungry classic Infinitys.

Last edited:
Kappa 9 bi-amped;

Ok I like this after a lot of experimentation!

Bryston 7B monoblocks - bottom 'extended' mode
Rogue Audio M120 monoblocks (Tubed KT-88 / 120 WPC) - Mid/Top, 4 ohm tap

Superb!!

Lately, I'm driving my RS4's with my Yamaha CA-810. Seems to be a very good match. A bit much on the Bass with the Variable Loudness Control, so you just have to ease off on the Bass if you engage the VLC.

Otherwise, spectacular. To my ears, anyway. Heck, that's all that matters.

Just recently got Emotiva SA-250 (400 wpc at 4 Ohm) to drive my RS-IIs. I am very happy with results.

After much frustration repairing a pair of GFA-565's I got a few months ago, I'm finally officially running them in my setup. Got a GFP-565 as well just recently that got me to fix the amps. Gonna have to build a rack and do some work on the preamp too (capacitors, outboard psu, Jung regulators, Hexfred diodes instead of rectifier).

This has made a pretty striking difference going from the 9090. Bass feels much more authoritative and pushing especially the RS-IIIa's response a bit lower.

VjtybnZ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom