Shipping to Canada- advice

bktheking

Gitter Done!
If you are an akr shipping to Canada please please please declare the amount someone buys something for. Case in point I bought an item for under $10 from barter town- seller declared an amount of $50. We get dinged duty based on declaration. So my under Ten dollar item cost me $18.15 in duty. If it were declared properly duty would have been waved.

Thanks

Why was it not just mailed via USPS? I just got an almost $300 shipment that way and it cost nothing in duty or HST charges. I have only once been charged on a USPS shipment in 18 years.

Mailing by USPS does not automatically mean that it bypasses customs. The majority of parcels will sail through but a significant percentage will be stopped and the assessed the proper duties.

When I've shipped to Canada, I've had the opposite problem - buyer wants me to declare a value far below the actual sale price. Sorry, I don't lie.

I've been dinged by USPS as well. It went fedex this time. I agree rich , that doesn't help to insure what you are shipping.

Wife told me when she received my U-Turn Orbit table at the door before I got home from work,customs and stuff cost her 80 dollars . Oh well.

If you use a courier service such as UPS or FedEx instead of USPS, it will automatically be routed through their in-house brokerage services. There it will be assessed for customs duties, federal and provincial sales taxes plus brokerage fees. This all adds significant cost to the shipment. In my experience, only the postal service has a chance of getting through without duties and fees but it is NOT automatic - more like a random screening.

Back
Top Bottom