Refinishing cabinets on 690s

belgianbrain

I got ahold of another pair of 690s! This is the first series with the triple inputs at the rear.

Not quite mint like my first pair, but they're in good condition with the exception of the tops.

Someone who owned these previously obviously had no problem with throwing junk on top of them. The corners around the top are also a bit chipped and may need some kind of filler.

I have the Howard's Restore a Finish which *might* take care of the scratching. But I suspect some sanding and wood filling might be in order.

Any recommendations? How to approach this for best results?

If I have to sand the tops, do I have to re-stain them afterwards?

Any recommendations for filling the chips?

Attachments

• IMG-00003.jpg
    IMG-00003.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-00004.jpg
    IMG-00004.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-00005.jpg
    IMG-00005.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 24
Check for dents in the wood, if possable steam those out.

I think fine - very fine steel wool would do for sanding.

Wood epoxy for filling chips, and forming a cleaner edge.

Do I need wood epoxy that matches the colour of the veneer or do I need to do some staining afterwards? Any brand suggested?

I'm an electrical engineer - not a carpenter! I'm pretty handy, but I do need specifics - please throw me a bigger bone. :D

Last edited:
Do I need wood epoxy that matches the colour of the veneer or do I need to do some staining afterwards? Any brand suggested?

I'm an electrical engineer - not a carpenter! I'm pretty handy, but I do need specifics - please throw me a bigger bone. :D

I gave a bit of thought to your issue, looking at the pictures the chipping appears frontal not top length wise, however the veneer is chipped top length of the cabinet.

I think if the veneer is chipped, as the picture shows. You are more than likely looking at not only filling the frontal chipping but re-veneering, as I think the epoxy would cover over any veneer.

In the speakers current situation, I would leave them as is, and just give light sanding, and Howard's restore a finish a go.

I would advise wait a bit for other AK members insight should you want to give full refinishing a go.

Also you could enquire over in the forum speakers section with a link to this thread.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

You could possibly try to remove a small section of veneer from the bottom and fill this instead, use the veneer section to fill any chips in the veneer on the top providing it is a reasonable match. And dust from sanding can be used to make a filling compound to help hide any cracks in the repair. You may have to trim out the chips to get a good fit with the repair section.
If it were me I would spend the money and have them re veneered, they are worth it.
I have just sanded mine back, the varnish on these if the same as mine is quit tough and resistant to most solvents, I could not shift it chemically.
I started with M2 and went right down to 1200 grit paper being very careful on the corners not to rub through the veneer. I intend to french polish mine but oil works just as well, tongue oil , Linseed oil and I'm sure there are a few more.
I wouldnt bother staining them, they are Walnut and will darken with oiling anyway.

Back
Top Bottom