Klipsch KG 3.2s

ccdowenye

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey everyone,

I am wondering what the consensus is on the KG 3.2s is.

I recently purchased a pair (haven't arrived yet) to go in a small living room to be mated with my Sansui 2000. I chose the 3.2s due to size and space considerations and I got a good deal on them to boot.

This Sansui is really solid in terms of the amount of bass it puts out so I am wondering if anyone has mated the KG 3.2s with a Sansui and just what everyone thinks of them in general.

I plan on just running my iPod through a dock to the Sansui, again due to space considerations. I run the same set up on my Marantz 2235B with my Fortes and to my ears, it sounds fine.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

Look and sound fantastic, you will love them. Here are mine being auditioned for the first time sitting next to the Heresys. As mentioned, tons of bass, no sub-woofer needed.

Alright!

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I am really looking forward to getting them set up :)

Let us know your thoughts when you get them..

What's a good price for these.
Seeing some "rough" ones on Craigslist for
$175.
That sounds high to me..

They have arrived!

Well, the KG 3.2s arrived today and luckily they were as advertised. You never know with ebay. Anyways....I hooked them up to my Sansui 2000 and they sound really good.

Now are they Fortes? No. Heresys? No. But given the space I had available for them (a smallish living room) they are perfect, even a bit overpowering.

They have good bass, good highs, and acceptable mids. All in all I am happy with the purchase. I paid less than $200 and they were in very good shape. I am sure there are better deals (and worse) out there, but like I said all in all I am happy.

Thanks for all the feedback!

(listening to The Eagles Live via my iPod right now, very nice!)

Update

Just an quick update. As I have been listening to the KG 3.2s non-stop I have come to appreciate just how good they sound. For their size they really are amazing.

Those of you that shared your opinions and told me ahead of time just how good they were, you were correct. I am very glad I made the purchase.

To any of you out there considering these, I say buy them. You won't be sorry.

Of course I am somewhat biased as Klipsch to my ears sound fantastic. :)

Been enjoying mine for 24yrs now. They will take anything you can throw at them. I have used 500w Carver power and 13w tube with them. Currently hooked up to Nad 316bee. No disappointment with that combo.

Dare I say they may be the best solution for those finding their Heresys lacking in sufficient base - for moderate size listening rooms.

Bass for days

Yes Quadaptor....they make up for the lack of Bass on the Heresys....

I now run the Heresys with a sub...and it makes quite a difference....

Side note, picked up a mint KV2 today for my HT set up for $50 bucks......wow..what a difference it makes. Heresy with the sub, KV2 center...now i need to pick up some rear speakers. Any suggestions?

Kingshead - tell me more about the Dynaco amps you have setting on top of the Hereseys.

Back on topic - I would pair your 3.2s with any of the KG line. If that was your question.

Hi CCD,

Congrats on a "good" buy with the 3.2's. Less than two hundred the pair I think is a VERY good deal for these Klipsch. I too have a pair of 3.2's that I plan to soon (again) set up, as they have been "side lined" for far too long. I also (soon) will be acquiring a vintage Sansui 1000X Receiver which should be an excellent match with the Klipsch. I haven't owned a Receiver in a long time and this system should be fun.
Enjoy!

Regards,
SixCats!

Kingshead - tell me more about the Dynaco amps you have setting on top of the Hereseys.

Back on topic - I would pair your 3.2s with any of the KG line. If that was your question.

The Dynaco amps are biamping the Heresy speakers with one channel driving the mid and tweeter and the other the bass driver. Made an easy adjustment to the crossover and installed four binding posts purchased from Parts Express on the rear. With this setup the speaker wires are less than 2' in length. Won't get into the sound here as it always starts a debate.

Interesting. Are they stock ST-120s? On a related note, I recently moved a pair of Heresey Is from a tube Fisher 800B the a Dynaco SCA-80Q, which, think, has a amplifier similar to the ST-120. One of the things I noticed was much more punch in the bass range. But that may be saying something about the condition of my Fisher, which could stand to be rebuilt.

CCD,

I was inspired by your thread and today took out of hibernation my Klipsch 3.2's and hooked them up to my (new to me) CARVER M200t Amp and Classic NAD 3140 Integrated Amp (used as Pre amp) and it sounds FANTASTIC!

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats,

Awesome! Now that I have listened to them, on a couple of different receivers, I am very, very pleased I purchased them. In fact, I may purchase another pair. I have my Heresys stacked on my Fortes (with several gaskets between them) and think I need a smaller footprint type speaker to sit beside them. I need a width of no more than 13" and I would prefer no more than 24-36" tall. Having said that......any thoughts on the KG 4.2s?

At what point should i look myself in the mirror and acknowledge that I am addicted to Klipsch and plan on purchasing several more? :) Sound familiar anyone?

Interesting. Are they stock ST-120s? On a related note, I recently moved a pair of Heresey Is from a tube Fisher 800B the a Dynaco SCA-80Q, which, think, has a amplifier similar to the ST-120. One of the things I noticed was much more punch in the bass range. But that may be saying something about the condition of my Fisher, which could stand to be rebuilt.

That's not a surprise as SS usually has tighter bass control than tubes and why many bi-amp using tubes for the top end and SS for the bottom. I have 3 of the 120's, one has all new caps, one is in the process and the other is waiting it's turn. Not effecting this change for any improvement in sound quality, it already sounded great, but more for reliability reasons, these ARE rather old. If interested I'll PM you on the changes I made to the Heresys for this arrangement and how the sound was affected.

Martin

Here's a pic of the larger caps for the two stock amps. The two taller caps were returned and replaced with shorter as these would have needed holes cut in the cage to fit, LOL.

Last edited:
SixCats,

Awesome! Now that I have listened to them, on a couple of different receivers, I am very, very pleased I purchased them. In fact, I may purchase another pair. I have my Heresys stacked on my Fortes (with several gaskets between them) and think I need a smaller footprint type speaker to sit beside them. I need a width of no more than 13" and I would prefer no more than 24-36" tall. Having said that......any thoughts on the KG 4.2s?

At what point should i look myself in the mirror and acknowledge that I am addicted to Klipsch and plan on purchasing several more? :) Sound familiar anyone?

Naturally, this is subjective but out of all the Klipsch I own, the 4.2's are the only ones I've sold.

They weren't "bad" but just didn't fill a room like my other models do. Mine were replaced (in a small room) with KLF-20's, which are only slightly larger than the 4.2's.
Well, I had the 4.2's on blocks to get the tweeter up to ear level, and the KLF-20 are just right. And not very wide, 12-13" IIRC, they might fit your bill.

40.75" (103.51cm) x 12" (30.48cm) x 16" (40.64cm)

Attachments

• DSCF1512.jpg
    DSCF1512.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom