Back to the CT-F1000

calman46

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have read all the threads I could find on the CTF1000. I have recapped changed all the rubber cleaned and lubed it . The deck plays fine the FF & RW work but struggle with" double LP " tapes. A regular prerecorded is about 20 minutes a side +/- these tapes RW & FF OK. So seems it can't move the extra weight from longer playing tapes . Could this be cause by the FF motor losing torque ?I thinking about cleaning the armature like on capstan motors of other decks.I'm not sure if this motor will go back together I'm trying different clutch spring settings but the clutch seems to work fine it's not cracked .I don't think the different spring settings will fix this . What do you think ?

I bought a CTF 8282 for the RXM 019 reel motor . The deck is in reel nice shape I don't think I can open up the motor possibly rendering the deck useless .

Are you SURE the clutch is not cracked? Check the clutch innards, be very careful and open it in a plastic bag, because the cracked clutch will fly quite a distance due to the strength of the clutch spring. Sometimes lack of torque is the indicating symptom of the crack when all else appears normal...

I checked the clutch before there was a small crack line on the "face" of the drive wheel. I put a coat of lock tight plastic bonder. It seems to have taken as I couldn't peel it off. The hub were the axial goes through was not a effected .The common crack point that you fix is good . With a cracked clutch does the motor still rotate ? I watched the transport best I could everything slows down as the reel takes on more tape after about a 0.25" . FF seems to be a little better . I don't want to wreck the motor so I need a good smooth method to unbend those hold-downs on the motor. Or I could just leave well enough alone .It has no problem with RW/FF a 20 min tape .

Wanna try a different FF/REW motor? (it would have a different drive "barrel" (I can't call THAT a wheel...lol))

Or was that the point with the 8282?

Yes the 8282 has the same FF/ RW motor, in case I wreck this one .I have been playing the deck and the capstan motor slows also after about .25" is on the take up reel . It seems the motors will only run for a certain time before they start to slow. Is it torque or are they losing DC ? I have already opened up another CTF 1000 capstan motor (bought a basket case unit for cheap) and I did fix it . The tabs on the motor housing broke right off so it now JB Welded back together . The decks plays till the end tape but RW/FF slows also . The clutch is good no cracks .

If you are worried about the DC, just hang a meter on the motor and watch.

eventually when you are looking to trash the basket cases, keep me in mind.

I have another scenario, what if the reel(s) axial starts to slip on that hex "nut" that drives the cassette ? Mine are cracked at the end where the little cap goes in but still are quite tight when slid on the axial . I'm just tiring to cover all the bases before I open up the motors . I'll let you know if and when I dump basket cases.

I cleaned both motors ,the capstan motor had some grooves on the commutator. I spun it my drill press and took most of them out ,its better not perfect. The FF motor came apart pretty easy. The inside motor has bend tabs like the outside case. I cleaned both of the motors brushes,shaft, loose crud and oiled bearings and reassembled. I also rough up the nylon drive pulley you can just see where it had ridges, mine was polished smooth. I have pictures Ill post later , but there nothing new . Food for thought .What about changing the transport parts with a 8282 ? The 1000,9191,8282 are similar .

Well, looking at the exploded diagram, both the supply and take up reels have clutches - check their felt clutch elements for oil contamination and glazing.

The motor overhauling worked well. The FF motor now runs cool ( warm/hot before) the capstan motor has seem to benefit from it also. The felt is ok, I fluffed it with nylon brush . I did have some trouble with the supply reel axial, but that problem is fixed, I think . I did FF/RW a double play cassette but I ran out time , more testing is needed . I also changed out the hub parts( that engaged the cassette reels). All the nylon parts that have metal through them have small cracks . Is this from age , usage ,or maybe from sitting in a hot/cold attic for years ? or all of the above.

Nylon is hydrophillic (likes water). It expands and contracts with moisture. Over time such parts tend to shrink, and when there is material or structure to resist the shrinkage, cracks occur.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks for the explanation. I think I found the problem on my deck. The back tension is making the supply reel (with the felt on it) slip .Its not turning in any mode .If I release the back tension lever it turns . I will have to check the felt for oil but the the axial could be slipping to freely in the wheel ?

Forget those ideas . That must be the way the back tension works . Back together it goes . These decks do sound nice when recapped

Back
Top Bottom