Yamaha RX 777 Receiver flying under the radar

dynamic73

Audiophile in Progress
I got this Yamaha RX 777 receiver a few years ago. I picked it up used from a older gentleman. I also have a Yamaha RX V1900 receiver. Which I think is excellent. One day I decided to combine the two. So I used the Yamaha RX V1900 as the preamp and the Yamaha RX 777 as the main amp. I'm using a Yamaha YP B2 turntable as the source and Definitive Technology DR 7 speakers. This combination has proved to be way better than I expected.

I heard some really nice amps and audio gear in my day. This Yamaha RX 777 receiver holds it's own. Against some of the better audio equipment I listen to. 1st off the Yamaha RX 777 seems to have more power than what it's rated. They rate the Yamaha RX 777 as 100 wpc @ 8 ohm. It really pushes my Def Techs without any trouble. Most of the other receivers I've had never really seem to deliver what they are rated at. The Yamaha RX 777 seems to put out what it's rated at and more. My Def Tech speakers are rated at 90 db efficiency. So I understand they are easy to drive. The Yamaha RX 777 brings out notes that I never thought the Def Tech speaker had in them. The Yamaha RX 777 is also very detailed. Which I've never had in a stereo receiver before. The bass is were the Yamaha RX 777 really shows it can produce music. It really reaches down there and punches out the notes. All with this natural sound that is very addicting.

I see a lot of talk in the Yamaha section about the old Yamaha CR 1020 and the CR 2020 receivers and how great they are. It makes me wonder. Are they really that much better than this modern (built around 2001) Yamaha RX 777 receiver? Am I missing the boat here. Would I gain that much more going to an older Yamaha receiver?

There's very little info on the old interwebs about the Yamaha RX 777. Which makes me believe that it has flown under the radar. And not many people have expreinced the sound and the music it makes. I'm wondering if anyone here has listen to the Yamaha RX 777 and what they think about it for music enjoyment?

I looked up the specs, it uses the Top Art technology and seems to be a nice unit. No reason why it should not deliver good sound. You would have to compare it to the older units to see which you prefer. The older units look nice, have real wood and can be repaired with mostly available parts indefinately. They do deliver lots of power if you get the bigger/monster units.
The newer machines tend to employ components that are obsolete and unobtainium if they should break.
I have a RX-V992 which is a little older, but employs quality amps that I like very much. It is also very powerful despite its lowly 80 watt official rating.

I don't see many modern Yamaha stereo's mentioned here. So I thought I post up some thoughts about the one I'm using for my amp. The Yamaha RX 777 is a 2 channel receiver. There is no DSP or video processing. It also has removable jumpers on the back. So that you can use just the amp section. The preamp section is really good also. But the amp section is the better of the two. I have not heard many Yamaha stereo receiver's. So I don't really know how this receiver ranks. In the Yamaha line up. I can say that it will measure up to some of the top. Of some of the other makers receiver's. The great thing about this receiver is that it can be had for cheap. So it's a budget receiver. That put can put out some really top quality sound.

I love my newer (non-silver) Yamaha gear. I've got 2 nice examples, both class A power - 120w per channel. An A1020 integrated from the early 80's and an RX950 receiver (90's). I feed my TT through the 1020 to the 950. The 1020 has a much better phono stage. My favorite speaker match so far is the Forte II's which are crystal clear and precise. Truly amazing sound for such a small investment... all CL gems! Pure direct makes me smile every time.
Sorry, I'm not much help to compare newer stuff to the vintage Yamaha sound. I'm very happy in the Sansui camp for Vintage.

I'll be auditioning it this weekend. It'll be compared to the Sony STR 7055. Lot's of good specs on this little receiver.

i have a very similar setup - i'm using a rx-v1400 for a preamp & DAC (and 7.1 content) and an MX-1000 for 2-ch music. I have a pair of Amphion Creons i picked up for a song and they sound great. i love the combination of the modern front end (like the DAC, dsp, and the REMOTE) with the raw power of my "vintage" power amp. i realize that calling this late-80s/early-90s amplifier vintage on AK might not be cool, but it's vintage enough for me...and like you, i discovered a whole bunch of detail to some of my favorite recordings when i added that power amp to the mix.

Sony STR 7055 won.
End of review.
Thanks.

Just kidding. A novice review so read with one eye. Ok on a serious note...
Aesthetically for being all black it's a handsome unit. Not overly busy and best of all every function of this unit can be operated on the receiver should the remote die so your not SOL. Yes that means getting up your duff and changing volume yourself. Like the old days. Don't we do that already?
Now let's carry the view inside. Popping the cover off I was pleasantly surprised with the caps. Actually blown away is a better word.
All Elna & Nichicon. WOW! I rubbed my hands eagerly in anticipation.
Very clean layout in my opinion.
Rated at 100 wpc into 8 ohms and 120 wpc into 6 ohms I was excited to give it a go. Wired it up to my Wharfedale Denton's which coincidentally are 86 db 6 ohm speakers, walked away & let it warm up for half hour.

Yet even downstairs I could hear the absolute clarity it was projecting. Crystal clear.

I played a few tracks without really caring much waiting for the heart rate to settle and let my ears adjust.

Listening to Matt Marshack- Dancing with my daughter, I listen for the echo of the drum sticks and it's echo. The Yamaha reproduced the echo but it was more in a linear fashion (going straight back to the studio) as opposed to a bloom that projected itself above and below the receiver. Another words it didn't radiate out at 360 field.
While the guitar had some of the Hawaiian flavor it lacked the final twang. Again it seemed to lack that final echo of a guitar.

On a collaboration cd between Marc Antoine & Paul Brown- Bridges of Paris, which I HIGHLY recommend for all of its little tiny, nano second detail. Lot's of clicks, bells, flutters & very distance cymbals and various other instruments. Let's pick apart this song.
The guitar work sounded crisp, focused & detailed but lacked that softeness one should hear them playing it. Like skin on steel guitar.
At the 1:26 mark a rattler is followed by a high glass ting, with a very, very distant cymbal touch then a bell. All distinct sounds.None of them should be mixed.
The Yamaha did ok here. Although picking up that cymbal was extremely faint.
1:58 or so one should hear a ratchet type sound. Didn't hear it.
2:11 the rain bead instrument one should hear the individual beads going down the pipe. On the Yamaha it sounded more like "shhh". No tickle of beads.
2:24 a brief cricket like click. Not there.
And finally at the 3:35 mark the " flutter" of butterfly wings should easily travel across one speaker to the other. The Yamaha created the flutter but not the flight.
All these times are approximate.
Also on it one should easily notice the bass reverberations behind the guitar. These reverberations should be ever so lightly felt through the floor and a "nano" second hum felt in the ears . On low volume.
While the Wharfedales took notice of them it lacked the deep, deep feel of it from the Yamaha. On the Sony bass & mids "pops" from the speakers throwing itself past my ears. Almost holographically.

I was done at this point as my ears got easily fatigued. This receiver is forward sounding somewhat "glassy" with great detail in the mids & highs. Bass is a bit light even with the knob turned to 3 o'clock. This would be great for those who have a liking for crisp highs, tight & focused mids with CLEAR presentation of the musicc and not so much bass. This receiver presented the music with neutrality bringing with it neither warmth or coldness.
Thanks for reading.

The End.

Attachments

• IMG_20160523_154546.jpg
    IMG_20160523_154546.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20160521_234511.jpg
    IMG_20160521_234511.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20160521_234430.jpg
    IMG_20160521_234430.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20160523_155009.jpg
    IMG_20160523_155009.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 158
...The older units look nice, have real wood and can be repaired with mostly available parts indefinately...

Not sure about that. For the last 2 years I've had a CR-2020 that I've been trying to find any power switch that will work for it, but haven't been able to. Apparently the best and closest replacement is the switch it came with. Unfortunately, these switches are known for burning up and cannot be readily bought online or in any store. They are not easy to find. The search continues.....

...Pure direct makes me smile every time...

The Pure Direct on mine does too. :)

As for the OP, I think the only way to really know how a new Yamaha unit compares with vintage Yamaha units is to buy one and listen with your own ears. No one else can tell you how that is going to sound for you, in your listening space, with your speakers and associated equipment. Too many variables, coupled with the fact that all our ears as individuals are different, which makes gear preference so subjective. I'd say get an old Yammie and see how it compares. Simply put, only you will know if it's right for you. :)

I just picked up a RX-777 for the princely sum of $20. Waited three weeks for half price but it was worth it. This is a well thought out design with dual mono amps after the decently sized transformer. There are dual heat sinks made of extruded aluminum and not the folded sheet crap found in regular BPC. And the amp has a real FTC 100 wpc rating. As mentioned earlier, it has pre-main interconnects, Pure Direct and CD Direct Amp modes which are features for the purists. The back panel features gold plated jacks, proper speaker binders, and an electrical outlet. Yamaha put some much appreciated effort into this design.

I've heard and owned more receivers that I care to admit. The RX-777 is stunningly good. It sounds fast and is crystal clear. I haven't owned a Luxman R-117 for quite some time but I would place the 777 in the same class for objective accuracy. Pure Direct with CD Direct playing a CD is simply awesome for a receiver. Transparent and dark at the same time, IMO the sound rivals separates. Considering stereo receivers are a niche market and built to a price point, the RX-777 is quite an achievement. The best part is it is remote control capable. A multi-function Yamaha remote from the stash works. This is the best Jackson I have spent on audio in a long time.

Last edited:
Can I dust this thread off. Need a little help here.

Got me one of these RX-777's. Picked up a remote too but not the one that came with it.

I need the procedure steps to tell the microprocessor to recognize the kind of remote I have.

The service manual says it comes with the RAX11 and I have the RAX14 which online sources say works with the RX-777.

I'm chicken to try the factory reset (which IS in the manual). Figure that'll only take it back to recognizing the RAX11 (if there's a difference).

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-rx-777-receiver-remote-help-needed.921614/

Yamaha RX-777.jpg

Last edited:
Cuddos to Keith and Yamaha customer service. Got a helpful answer to my email to them. The RAX14 model remote only works with RX-777 receivers with serial numbers after Y169513VX.

I don't think I'm going to be able to find a Model RAX11 remote. There appear to be after market ones that claim to be programmed and guaranteed to operate all functions. They run around thirty bucks. All I want to be able to do is turn the amplifier on and off and operate the volume. It looks to me like the codes for these commands are in the service manual.

Last edited:
I just picked up a RX-777 for the princely sum of $20. Waited three weeks for half price but it was worth it. This is a well thought out design with dual mono amps after the decently sized transformer. There are dual heat sinks made of extruded aluminum and not the folded sheet crap found in regular BPC. And the amp has a real FTC 100 wpc rating. As mentioned earlier, it has pre-main interconnects, Pure Direct and CD Direct Amp modes which are features for the purists. The back panel features gold plated jacks, proper speaker binders, and an electrical outlet. Yamaha put some much appreciated effort into this design.

I've heard and owned more receivers that I care to admit. The RX-777 is stunningly good. It sounds fast and is crystal clear. I haven't owned a Luxman R-117 for quite some time but I would place the 777 in the same class for objective accuracy. Pure Direct with CD Direct playing a CD is simply awesome for a receiver. Transparent and dark at the same time, IMO the sound rivals separates. Considering stereo receivers are a niche market and built to a price point, the RX-777 is quite an achievement. The best part is it is remote control capable. A multi-function Yamaha remote from the stash works. This is the best Jackson I have spent on audio in a long time.

I just picked up a RX-770 in long beach, not too impressed with it. Have you compared a RX-777 versus the RX-770?

Hi, l am pretty sure l have had both models and they are very similar, the 770 is just a little earlier. They both have the variable loudness control which IMHO is always good to have on a Yamaha. What don't you like about it redstarjedi? If you are not used to the Yamaha sound of that era you may find it a bit sterile sounding.

Hi, l am pretty sure l have had both models and they are very similar, the 770 is just a little earlier. They both have the variable loudness control which IMHO is always good to have on a Yamaha. What don't you like about it redstarjedi? If you are not used to the Yamaha sound of that era you may find it a bit sterile sounding.

I've had a R9, a A-1000, and now a A1. I wouldn't call those sterile at all. Sadly the R9 and A-1000 broke. A1 is going strong.

Is there a big advantage to the cd direct amp?

I've had a R9, a A-1000, and now a A1. I wouldn't call those sterile at all. Sadly the R9 and A-1000 broke. A1 is going strong.

Fair enough, you still didn't mention what you don't like about the 770?

Is there a big advantage to the cd direct amp?

In theory yes as it bypasses much in the circuit (ie tone controls etc), but in reality there is not a lot of difference in sound to be honest.

Fair enough, you still didn't mention what you don't like about the 770?

Midrange is lacking, not as good as the low and high frequencies. I didn't feel that way about my R9.

I'll stick with my 770 until my R9 works again or I find a rx-950. 770 only runs the TV, Roku, and low quality Pandora. A1 is for most music; via dac and vinyl.

Crazy as it sounds I'm opposed to a AVR if all I'm doing is two channel.

Midrange is lacking, not as good as the low and high frequencies. I didn't feel that way about my R9.

I'll stick with my 770 until my R9 works again or I find a rx-950. 770 only runs the TV, Roku, and low quality Pandora. A1 is for most music; via dac and vinyl.

Crazy as it sounds I'm opposed to a AVR if all I'm doing is two channel.

Very interesting and thank you for sharing your thoughts. We all hear different things as l would have probably said the 770 was more forward in the mids and if anything lacking a little in the lower end, of course we all have different speakers also.

Yes very true, l guess if you are not using multi channel an AVR is kinda pointless. I have had some that do sound very good in two channel mode though, including the RX-Z1 l still own.

Someone in another thread made the interesting observation (forgive me if i dont have it quoted exactly) that the amplifier section of the RX-777 looks surprisingly like that of the much newer Yamaha A-S701 and A-S801. Looks like a pretty close match to me.COMPARISON.jpg

Yes, l think you are spot on exwhyzed, l haven't worked on the later A-S701/801's but l also believe Yamaha have stuck with that same basic design for many years.

Back
Top Bottom