Now own Heresy II Speakers

chrisinsc

Got a break due to some chips in the cabs. Oak cabinets now need some repair for a few chips and rough joints. They will never be perfect. Grills are passable just a little frayed on one corner. More interested in the sound them make anyway.

Will likely build new crossovers versus doing mods to the stock ones unless there are key parts in the originals. Will listen to them tonight. Smaller than I expected them to be honestly. Forte's may be in my future.

Got a break due to some chips in the cabs. Oak cabinets now need some repair for a few chips and rough joints. They will never be perfect. Grills are passable just a little frayed on one corner. More interested in the sound them make anyway.

Will likely build new crossovers versus doing mods to the stock ones unless there are key parts in the originals. Will listen to them tonight. Smaller than I expected them to be honestly. Forte's may be in my future.

Personally I think Heresy's are great speakers. I have a pair of 87 Heresy IIs that I have done a lot of mods on. They are now rears in my HT as La Scalas are now my main listening speakers.

I am an obsessive tweaker and cannot stop myself from working anything I own (tweaking has not worked on the wife though...)

Congrats on the purchase :thmbsp:

Thanks. Well first impressions are they match up really well with the mc240 tube power. They seem a little tiny bit shiny in comparison to the jbls but have more ambiance if that makes sense. The vocals are definitely better. We will do a more formal ab comparison over the weekend. The 16 and 13 year old ears are good at hearing differences. First thing the 16 yo said was they seem to be a bit more fatiguing to listen to. Maybe the mods can help here.

The pair I use to have a pair that were updated with new Bob Crites Xovers and tweeters. Plus the risers installed. Liked them with my Marantz 2230.

Get them up off the floor, it will help.

Barney

So these have xover attached to the terminal cup. I took one out and it has blue drop caps. Are these the original caps?

A few hundred spent with Bob is well worth it. A huge improvement. Get his crossover rebuild kit. You have rectanular cups so, the crossovers have pcb and easy to rebuild. I got the titanium tweeter diaphragms and the result was a big improvement. He also has a replacement midrange and I seem to remember woofer.

There is also the ALK crossover. It is a new design and replaces the original. Bob's kits and even his replacement crossover is still the stock. If I knew the HII was staying defintely as a long term, I likely would get the ALKs. So far the original woofer and midrange satisfies but enough have said the Crites midrange is a decent step up so, likely would also do it. And, I would do the bracing that will stiffen and kill the cabinet effects. These are safe mods, not diy experiments. Seems Klipsch is a diyer's dream but does not require a lot of knowledge or experience.

Thanks to all contributing info. I think I will likely recap first to see if I get a step change which I must say is really needed. The crites rebuild kit looks like the thing to do here. These got voted off the line and the jbls are back in followed by big sighs of relief. Will keep folks posted.

As Brian said, the Crites crossover kit is just restoring the stock one. If you're going that route, why not save $ and just recap it yourself?

As Brian said, consider the ALK crossovers if they're keepers, or consider building your own version of the ALK crossover if you can find the schematic. Another AK'er here is building the ALK crossovers from a schematic for about half the price of getting them pre-built. The Ti diaphrams (at least the tweeter) isn't too expensive, but a pair of Forte's I heard that ONLY had the ALK crossovers were very smooth and not fatiguing.

So you might not need the Ti if the ALK's really calm things down and make things less fatiguing.

As Brian said, the Crites crossover kit is just restoring the stock one. If you're going that route, why not save $ and just recap it yourself?

As Brian said, consider the ALK crossovers if they're keepers, or consider building your own version of the ALK crossover if you can find the schematic. Another AK'er here is building the ALK crossovers from a schematic for about half the price of getting them pre-built. The Ti diaphrams (at least the tweeter) isn't too expensive, but a pair of Forte's I heard that ONLY had the ALK crossovers were very smooth and not fatiguing.

So you might not need the Ti if the ALK's really calm things down and make things less fatiguing.

Thanks. I am up for anything on the diy front to save dough. Will see if I can get the schematic for ALK type.

Update on these. I got my Grommes 20LJ running close enough to spec this morning and connected the Heresy's to it but as part of the deal with them not being in the main production lineup I put them on the carpet and angled them up a bit. Bass seemed much improved and with just 10 wpc or less they sound good. I can see why folks are enticed by them.

I also found a BOM and a schematic for the ALK upgraded crossover. I really like the ALK guy's rap and his general disgust with the internet is interesting though unfortunate. Providing folks with kits regardless of what they do with them at least supports the DIY deal which will only help. Anything that helps folks do stuff with their brains and hands that is harmless to others is a worthy cause in my mind. Anyway I digress. I have a plan and as soon as I finish a couple other projects and sell a couple things I will build crossovers for these things and do some other things.

Back
Top Bottom