New system from CL finds!

rynmgdlno

Been without a system for a few years now due to moving a lot/traveling but finally broke down and got some things I'm pretty happy with for now for cheap.

15652073979_0167779f42_z.jpg

Sansui LM-330:
15652448978_b9f8e03cf6_z.jpg

Onkyo A7070:
15652073869_1cea696d9b_z.jpg

Dual 506:
15837870515_e40d647fd2_z.jpg

So far, the speakers are phenomenal and much better than I expected. Very clear, punchy tone, smooth highs, mid bass is just tight enough while sub bass is nice and smooth. Very nice find.

Amp is nice also. Not a show stopper or anything but plenty of clean, solid, power for my needs. Has much more available then I'll use. Knobs are heavy and buttery smooth but do make some noise when using. Not a big deal for me. Only bad thing is, both the phono stages create an unpleasant amount of hum, though one of them is usable and not noticeable when playing in this setup/room/context etc. Other than this, hard to really judge the sound of the amp when only listening through the Dual and my MacBook, but happy with it.

The Dual, while a good table, has a slightly bent tonearm which made setting up the table, let alone playing, pretty impossible. After looking around the web for a replacement tone arm and seeing how few there were going around (none at the moment actually), I decided to fix it! Lol so I basically just "molded" it as straight as I could and surprise surprise, it actually tracks properly (mostly) and produces a pretty good sound. It has a very hard time tracking in the inner 3rd of a record, I have to adjust the anti skate as it gets tighter to keep it tracking. Besides that everything is fully functional and cart sounds decent enough, though not very wide and very warm. Gunna order a new stylus and call it a day. And I'm planning and buying a brand new table+preamp in a couple months anyways so not too worried about this table as long as I can spin some records in the meantime.

Gotta say thanks to AK for the threads/reviews of these I immediately found while looking at this stuff in a guys garage! I may never actually need to post anything on this forum! Everything's already here! lol

Nice setup and welcome to AK.

I assume your turntable is properly grounded to the amp (re: the hum)? And you might want to consider giving the amp a little more breathing room by putting spacers under the laptop to prevent heat buildup, if this is your regular configuration.

We all go on and on with how good better gear is and absolutely enjoy when someone walks into a quick start with decent equipment. Enjoy.

Nice setup and welcome to AK.

I assume your turntable is properly grounded to the amp (re: the hum)? And you might want to consider giving the amp a little more breathing room by putting spacers under the laptop to prevent heat buildup, if this is your regular configuration.

Yea it's grounded, the hum is still there with nothing connected, only on the phono inputs. And the laptop is only sitting on the amp for a moment here or there.

Hey, sounds like a cool start on your audio journey.
I also came across a pair of those LM-330 speaks and was surprised at how well the image stuff I enjoy listening to.

Mine ,sadly have an ugly vinyl covering that is not a wood veneer.
Maybe one day I'll re-cover them.

Looks good to me. A little Deoxit would quiet those controls, but if it's not yet bad enough to bother you then enjoy your nice system.

I'm wondering if the hum you are getting thru your amp is coming from the turntable and not from the amp itself. I'll bet the turntable has an internal grounding problem, maybe at the cartridge itself.

Otherwise, a really nice system. I like it.

GeeDeeEmm

Nice setup thanks for sharing , like to see the different combinations of items people come up with. You did good.

Back
Top Bottom